What's on TV now?

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
"Hamilton" is coming to Disney Plus on July 3rd.

If I have a free week or whatever, I'm using it for this.

https://news.yahoo.com/hamilton-muppets-more-whats-coming-223000044.html

"Hamilton (July 3.) The movie version of the century's most popular new Broadway musical, which won Tonys and the Pulitzer Prize, is a filmed version of the stage show, featuring the original cast of the hip-hop-based musical about the American "ten-dollar founding father,” Alexander Hamilton. Created by and starring Lin-Manuel Miranda, the movie was originally announced as a theatrical release in October of 2021, but amid the pandemic was moved up fifteen months and made a Disney+ movie."

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Hamilton in NY -- not the original cast, but still a great show. They filmed this apparently just after they won all those Tonys, before the original cast had moved on. I'm sure it will be well worth buying a week or a month of Disney Plus to see it.

This weekend a friend persuaded me that I needed to move The Untamed out of my queue and onto my screen. Oh mama, she was right! Three episodes in, I'm hooked. The pretty, it's so so so pretty. And the characters are in such delicious pain. I guess I know what's on TV for me for the next month!

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Hamilton is and probably will be on my TV for some time. I'm addicted. When I'm not watching it, I'm listening to it.

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Hamilton for the first time and I am reeling! So incredible, I can’t even. I did not some of the songs, but the context of the show just brings everything to such delicious heights. I want to see it live now, especially to see what other performers do with the material.

Omg, The Untamed must be one of my favorite shows I’ve seen recently. I recommend it constantly. God, the drama is top tier! I actually came to it after reading the novel and seeing the animated series. This might be my favorite version, though (despite the awful censorship they’re dealing with)

But hey, if anyone needs a break from high quality narratives and dramas, Floor is Lava is pure, childlike delight.

armgrab

Registered
Reaction score
Hamilton on Disney+, I've been weirdly dragging my feet on. Mainly because I saw it live in Chicago (I loved it, and it wasn't even the original cast), and I don't like re-watching things I've already watched. There's so much stuff to watch and we're only on this Earth for such a short time!

Also, not sure if anybody mentioned this earlier, but people were talking about animated Netflix shows, so I'll just throw this into the mix: Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts. Great animation, great characters, and just so marvelously weird. Cannot recommend it enough.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
'Good Omens'!!!
Started tonight on BBC Canada!:hooray::hooray::snoopy::snoopy::partyguy:

I knew it would come, eventually - but so quickly! And the first episode is excellent, I'm sure Terry Pratchett would have been pleased. Although, I think reading the books first improves the experience - there are things that add depth to the images.
Even the title-sequence was good.
Thank you to everyone here who read the books, watched it when it was new, and gave me something to look forward to!

There is a second airing, just starting, I'm off to re-watch.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Aaand, 'Good Omens' ended just as quickly -they taunted me with one episode, and last night, in spite of the listings saying 'Good Omens', they gave, instead, some 2 hour drama about the modern British army in Syria and Nepal. I came in right about some secondary earthquake in Nepal, and a POC female soldier driving sideways along a 45 degree trail to get a generator in. I had mild hopes at first that it was something about Armageddon, but neither Pratchett nor Gaiman had anything to do with this. Maybe 'Good Omens' will be back next week?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, it's started up again on a different channel! Better luck this time, I hope!

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!

I'm hoping to someday get a chance to see Tennant & Sheen's lockdown series Staged. (It was briefly up on YouTube, but I only saw 2 episodes before the inevitable removal. I'd love to see the rest. Very very funny!!!)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Just finished S1 of TNT's The Alienist, via Prime. Set at the end of the 19th century, as a new commissioner named Roosevelt sets out to reform and modernize New York City's famously crooked police force, a serial killer preys on boy prostitutes... and an "alienist," one who studies mental illness, is recruited to help track down the culprit - over the stern objections of the retired commissioner, the police captain, the mayor, and the public at large, who don't trust this newfangled approach to crimefighting.

The concept's interesting, and the sets and costumes are absolutely amazing, but I found the story somewhat cluttered, the dialog iffy, and the acting style choices... not always my cup of cocoa, particularly the lead. There were also some plot points that felt overused/cliche, and others that had literally zero point for existing other than to be twisted and depraved, with no followthrough. The murders, even in a genre known for gore, were exceptionally and disturbingly graphic and gory. Just not my cup of cocoa overall.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished Avatar: The Last Airbender, now on Netflix, and it was amazing. Just brilliant.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't love ATLA (which I also just watched) as much as others did. Maybe I would've if I hadn't just come from watching She-Ra, which had me from the first episode, but I just didn't fall in love with it. I will say that the second half was better than the first for me. My friends think I'll love Korra more, and that's coming mid-August to Netflix.

Started watching The Baby-sitters Club on Netflix. I have vague memories of the books, and by and large the first episodes match what I remember from the early books, but some parts are clearly updates for the modern audience, and I'm enjoying those. For example, in Marianne Saves the Day, I definitely remember Marianne needing to deal with her charge getting a high fever and going to the hospital. In the update, her charge is a trans girl, and part of her saving the day is also speaking to the doctors about realizing that she's a girl not a "little man" as the one doctor calls her.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't love ATLA (which I also just watched) as much as others did. Maybe I would've if I hadn't just come from watching She-Ra, which had me from the first episode, but I just didn't fall in love with it. I will say that the second half was better than the first for me. My friends think I'll love Korra more, and that's coming mid-August to Netflix.

Started watching The Baby-sitters Club on Netflix. I have vague memories of the books, and by and large the first episodes match what I remember from the early books, but some parts are clearly updates for the modern audience, and I'm enjoying those. For example, in Marianne Saves the Day, I definitely remember Marianne needing to deal with her charge getting a high fever and going to the hospital. In the update, her charge is a trans girl, and part of her saving the day is also speaking to the doctors about realizing that she's a girl not a "little man" as the one doctor calls her.

I'm digging Korra, personally. There's a lot that's very similar to Avatar, but a lot that's new and different. I think I read that Noelle Stevenson was inspired by Korra when she worked on She-Ra. I think.

Michiru

Registered
Reaction score
She-Ra was effing fantastic. I'm in love with the entire cast, and I relate to Entrapta so hard that her romance with Hordak actually had me on the edge of my seat.

frimble3, I hope you get Good Omens. It's like Sheen and Tennant were born to play Aziraphale and Crowley, they were so good.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Started Wynonna Earp on Netflix the other day, because I just wrapped another Expanse rewatch and wanted to vary the visual diet. As a descendant of famed Old West lawman Wyatt Earp, Wynonna and her sisters are cursed to face down the revenants of the 77 outlaws Earp gunned down with his gun Peacemaker... only something went terribly wrong when she was a kid, resulting in her older sister and her father being killed. After being branded a crazy and earning a juvenile record, Wynonna tried to outrun and outdrink her troubles, but returns to the Earp homestead after her uncle's unnatural death, where she must reluctantly take up the family legacy if she means to save the few people left in this world she cares about: her kid sister and her aunt. Meanwhile, a government agent who knows more than he should is hanging around, the sheriff wants to pick old fights, and some stranger with a strangely convincing Doc Holiday cosplay thing is drifting about town... Intriguing idea, but I don't feel particularly grabbed by the pilot episode, plus it felt like some important information was withheld or scenes were cut because the finale seemed a bit out of the blue. Will give it a few more eps to decide yea-or-nay on finishing.

I also just started S2 of Avatar: The Last Airbender, and am still enjoying it.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoying Korra more than ATLA. Second season wasn't as good as the first, but I'm looking forward to S3&4.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Netflix stealthily dropped a third season of Alta Mar (High Seas) a couple of weeks ago. I realized when I started it that I'd forgotten some key things about the Story So Far, so I've gone back to rewatch seasons 1-2. Such a fun, stylish show! (Though I'm sure they have only 1 stateroom set, which they just re-dress for different characters.) I'm sad it's been canceled and there won't be any more. They could have given it at least a little publicity!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And I bailed on Wynonna Earp during the second episode. Just wasn't feeling the chemistry, plus the characters were doing things they should've been too smart to do, they were dancing around establishment of rules and mythology... just felt a little too much like they were trying to catch the Buffy lightning in a bottle but not hitting that golden balance. If I hear spectacular things about other episodes, I might circle back, but for now it just wasn't scratching the itch.

Switched over to A Letter For The King, also on Netflix: the adopted son of a northern lord struggles to earn his place in knighthood, only to be pulled into a greater conflict triggered by an ambitious prince who has apparently turned to black magic to fuel his quest for world domination and destruction. An epic YA fantasy with many familiar parts, it's nevertheless very well produced and has interesting enough characters to keep me watching (so far.) It's adapted from a book I haven't read, so hopefully I don't need to do pre-reading.

Last edited:

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first ep of A Letter for the King a couple of months ago, liked it, then forgot about it & haven't watched the rest. I should go back! I should also finish The Untamed and Joy of Life, both of which which I have also enjoyed about 10 episodes of, then drifted away because I have to actually watch shows with subtitles & have been too distractible of late.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the first ep of Lovecraft Country. Very solid. At first I thought racism was the Lovecraftian horror, but then actual Lovecraftian horror showed up. At the end of the ep, there was a taste of From the Mouth of Madness, one of the best Lovecraft adaptations that isn't directly based on a specific story, but gets the feel right. I'm hooked.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And I finally finished off The Letter for the King on Netflix. Overall, I'd give it 3.5/5 stars.

Pluses: Expansive sets, good epic fantasy "feel", pretty solid FX, distinct characters, some nice ideas, diverse cast, awesome horse.

Minuses: Uneven pacing, name clutter, character development uneven in a way that suggests a fair bit left on the cutting room floor, the MC could be rather passive/a victim rather than a proactive part of the plot, some stray stuff and side characters/subplots never paid off, the final episode shoehorned in sequel potential while failing to deliver quite the punch the finale should've had.

All in all, not a terrible intro to epic fantasy, though I suspect the book was probably better. (It was inspired by a Dutch book from the 1960's.)

Famoustapu

Registered
Reaction score
Last night, I watched the last two episodes from Series 1 of Torchwood on Blu-ray, the pilot episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures on DVD, and an episode of The Office (US version) on Netflix.

I just watched The Siege on Netflix.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
The last couple of days I've been watching The Wilds on Prime. A group of teenage girls are stranded on a desert island. All is not as it appears to be. It's strongly reminiscent of early Lost, complete with flashbacks for the characters, except that's not the story it's telling.