Best maturation novels

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I thought AWWC had a book recommendation forum, but I don't see it...please move if this doesn't go here. :)

Google came up with nothing really relevant for "best maturation novels of all time." What should I read if I want to write one?

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Kind of a coming-of-age story, except about an older kid becoming an adult, I guess? Gaining maturity.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who read that as "masturbation"? :tongue I'm guessing you haven't had much luck with Google searches because I haven't really ever seen that term used. Maybe try searching for "books with college aged MC"?

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
Satyesu, this sounds like New Adult fiction. I bet if you do some searching around for that category, you'll find a bunch of stuff. New Adult aims at a reading age group just above YA.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Moving this to book club.

I'd suggest looking for coming-of-age novels and/or Bildungsroman.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who read that as "masturbation"? :tongue I'm guessing you haven't had much luck with Google searches because I haven't really ever seen that term used. Maybe try searching for "books with college aged MC"?

No. No you are not. :e2hammer:

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score

No. No you are not. :e2hammer:

*stares at desk. slowly raises hand*

Yup. I had a flash of lewd dyslexia. (dyslewdia?)

You're not alone.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
*stares at desk. slowly raises hand*

Yup. I had a flash of lewd dyslexia. (dyslewdia?)

You're not alone.

:ROFL:

Back to the OP. Satyesu, there are so many types of coming-of-age novels. Can you tell us a bit more about what you'd like to find? A few recent ones that come to mind that aren't YA: The Girls, by Emma Cline, Tell the Wolves I'm Home, by Carol Rifka Brunt, We Love You, Charlie Freeman, by Kaitlyn Greenidge, A Tale for the Time Being, by Ruth Ozeki, maybe even Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
I'd venture that James Farrell's Studs Lonigan would fit the category, although with a definitely much bleaker tone.

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
The biggest [theme?] is going from an ultra dogmatic, black-and-white, prejudiced view to a nihilistic, cynical one; and then wonder at the universe and acceptance of others (or, hard-line Catholicism to nihilist atheist to "spiritual, but not religious.") I was looking at Siddhartha​ by Herman Hesse.

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
Some personal favorite Bildungsromans:
Call Me Asher Lev
The Chosen
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man
Go Tell It on the Mountain

Anne of Green Gables would probably be here if I’d ever actually read the book.
I’m told I should really read The Magic Mountain.

If we include speculative fiction coming-of-age novels I bet have a lot more.

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest [theme?] is going from an ultra dogmatic, black-and-white, prejudiced view to a nihilistic, cynical one; and then wonder at the universe and acceptance of others (or, hard-line Catholicism to nihilist atheist to "spiritual, but not religious.") I was looking at Siddhartha​ by Herman Hesse.

I would definitely check out the works of Chaim Potok, James Baldwin, and James Joyce. This is right in their wheelhouse.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Make fun of me for this, but I loooooooved Of Human Bondage.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
If we include speculative fiction coming-of-age novels I bet have a lot more.

Spec fiction is definitely worth including. I thought that the science fiction novel Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin was a classic coming of age story. Even though it happens in outer space, it still seems so relevant to experiences on Earth. The book is from 1968, so it's from the Revolution days.