Who assists the ME? Police lieutenant?

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think silence, too. Logic.

But there is another thing. According to former NYPD homicide detective Thomas McKenna (who wrote the book Manhattan North Homicide), being a NYPD (homicide) detective was very safe, because whenever they planed to apprehend someone, they would have gathered a team with overwhelming power (unlike those solo detectives in movies/tv). Ie, the backup would already be there, either regular cops or a SWAT team (the NYPD calls them ESU).

Last edited:

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
I'd think silence, too. Logic.

But there is another thing. According to former NYPD homicide detective Thomas McKenna (who wrote the book Manhattan North Homicide), being a NYPD (homicide) detective was very safe, because whenever they planed to apprehend someone, they would have gathered a team with overwhelming power (unlike those solo detectives in movies/tv). Ie, the backup would already be there, either regular cops or a SWAT team (the NYPD calls them ESU).

Yeah, that makes sense.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Yet another question:
Let's say you're a detective and you enter a suspect's home with your team, and then when you get to a back room discover that another detective that you know is tied up and has been tortured and is probably bleeding out.

Procedure?

The house has been secured, the bad guy is gone.

Do you take a few pictures of the scene before getting the detective out of the bonds (thick rope)?

Do you just cut through the thick rope and get them out straight away?

You probably don't have time to wait for the ambulance, in terms of their condition.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, another question:
Let's say a detective calls for back up before entering a house where they think a suspect is hiding. Would the patrol cars answering the call typically pull up with sirens off or on? Light off or on? Because what would make sense to me is for them to pull up with everything off so as not to alert the suspect and cause him to bolt.

These questions don't make a ton of sense, sorry. Why would a detective be first on a scene, alone? Unless he or she is going back someplace that doesn't make sense as a premise.

Yet another question:
Let's say you're a detective and you enter a suspect's home with your team, and then when you get to a back room discover that another detective that you know is tied up and has been tortured and is probably bleeding out.

Procedure?

The house has been secured, the bad guy is gone.

Do you take a few pictures of the scene before getting the detective out of the bonds (thick rope)?

Do you just cut through the thick rope and get them out straight away?

You probably don't have time to wait for the ambulance, in terms of their condition.

This too is problematic on its face -- if the house is secured they already knew he was there. Also you don't care about pictures, no. You do whatever is medically sensible, but you DO wait for the ambulance, because what else are you doing, and is it delayed?

Also, weren't they looking for the det?

Last edited:

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
These questions don't make a ton of sense, sorry. Why would a detective be first on a scene, alone?

Convoluted reason but the basic idea is she got a tip about something minor and didn't think it would amount to much, was off duty but decided to check it out. Then, oops, perp is there are gets her.

This too is problematic on its face -- if the house is secured they already knew he was there.

I probably used the wrong term. What I meant is, the team goes in and makes sure the perp is gone, so they are not concerned about any danger he might cause. In my mind (could be wrong, just operating on my sense of what's logical), you would want to make sure that the house doesn't have any dangerous people in it before doing anything else. But maybe that's not the case, I mean, I'm sure you have to multitask.

Also you don't care about pictures, no. You do whatever is medically sensible, but you DO wait for the ambulance, because what else are you doing, and is it delayed?

So there's no concern about gathering evidence of the assault on the detective?

You would want to do some kind of first aid, I would think?

Also, weren't they looking for the det?

They did not expect to find her there, as they were following up on another tip that led to the same place.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Convoluted reason but the basic idea is she got a tip about something minor and didn't think it would amount to much, was off duty but decided to check it out. Then, oops, perp is there are gets her.

I probably used the wrong term. What I meant is, the team goes in and makes sure the perp is gone, so they are not concerned about any danger he might cause. In my mind (could be wrong, just operating on my sense of what's logical), you would want to make sure that the house doesn't have any dangerous people in it before doing anything else. But maybe that's not the case, I mean, I'm sure you have to multitask.

So there's no concern about gathering evidence of the assault on the detective?

You would want to do some kind of first aid, I would think?

They did not expect to find her there, as they were following up on another tip that led to the same place.

Ok, I meant if they'd secured the place they already know she's there. Yes, you render first aid, etc., but an ambulance is gonna be three or four minutes away (though this too depends on where) -- I thought you meant they don't wait for the ambulance at all, or before doing major stuff.

Evidence is always a secondary concern. Also it's generally still there, just not in situ.

I thought she was actually missing, not like, still off duty and only been captured like an hour or whatever ago.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Like Cornflake, I'm way into confused land. If I've got this straight, idiot detective, while off-duty mind you, goes into a house and is captured. What was her justification and what type of warrant does she have? Arrest? Search? In hot pursuit? None of the above? In all likelihood, all evidence coming out of this mess is going to be suppressed, and the detective, assuming she comes out of this alive will not have to worry about a retirement party. She'll be fired as soon as the dust settles.

We then have a team going in. Did you read what the FBI team that arrested Roger Stone consisted off? Did you ever watch COPS? Massive force is used with teams going in under either an arrest or a search warrant. Usually on the team is someone trained in emergency medicine. Also included these days are either body cams or someone videotaping.

You don't need pictures, especially since you have the cut, and probably bloody rope.

Bleeding out either happens in minutes and probably unstoppable unless you're in an operating room, or it's going slow enough that you've got time to plug and wait for an ambulance with some large bore IVs ready to go.

Jim Clark-Dawe

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to keep your female detective, who is currently in dire straights (bound, tortured, etc.) on the job--assuming she survives this episode--you'll need to have had her snatched from another location (one in which she had legal right to be, whatever her motivation) and subsequently taken against her will to the target location that, unbeknownst to her captors, her colleagues will shortly be securing the perimeter and entering the premises to execute a search warrant.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I had assumed she'd like, knocked and was invited in. If that's not the case, yeah, this is way more problematic.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I would still find it implausible (IRL) that a detective who is off-duty but gets a tip will go to a place (that is not already under surveillance) alone, knock on the door, and then gets kidnapped. Why won't she call her partner?

Is it possible that the detective gets a call from a one-night-stand so she goes to a pub to meet him and gets kidnapped for torture? (And why would thugs torture a detective? The least punishment for murder one in NY is 20-25 years... torturing and/or murdering a cop on top of the original crime? Very likely death.)

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I would still find it implausible (IRL) that a detective who is off-duty but gets a tip will go to a place (that is not already under surveillance) alone, knock on the door, and then gets kidnapped. Why won't she call her partner?

Is it possible that the detective gets a call from a one-night-stand so she goes to a pub to meet him and gets kidnapped for torture? (And why would thugs torture a detective? The least punishment for murder one in NY is 20-25 years... torturing and/or murdering a cop on top of the original crime? Very likely death.)

i agree it's odd behaviour, but detectives often don't have partners so that's not an option.

Also no death penalty in NY.

I would REALLY personally shy away from what sounds like punishment for sexuality (though that scenario makes even less sense to me than a cop checking on a tip. A one night stand who wants to kidnap and torture people does it.... on follow-up, after exchanging numbers with someone who was a one night stand?)

Last edited: