Querying an international agent?

geban

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I am an Australian author, but so far I have only queried American and British agents (for a number of reasons, primarily because these markets are much larger, and also the number of Aus agents is much smaller). There is not a whole lot of resources about this topic online, and my primary question is: will this hurt my chances of being repped by an international agent? On most submission guidelines it doesn't specify that you need to reside in America / Britain etc., but I wonder if this does impact their decision? Would I be best trying my luck with Australian agents first?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
There aren't very many Australian agents from what I understand.

I don't think it would impact your chances. Clients live all over the place relative to their agents. I queried in the UK and abroad in the USA, too. My agent is Canadian and works remotely for her American agency while I live in the UK so :)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
It won't hurt your chances at all. I'm in the UK and my agent is in New York, and it works fine. You might want to check that Australia has a tax treaty with the US the same as we have, but as a Commonwealth country I'm pretty sure you will have.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Australia, too, and I query US and UK agents all the time. No one cares where I live.

I haven't been successful with agents so far, but I have been published by a UK traditional publisher. The internet has removed any previous long distance issues.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All Agents seek a saleable novel - where the author lives is of little consequence.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I am an Australian author, but so far I have only queried American and British agents (for a number of reasons, primarily because these markets are much larger, and also the number of Aus agents is much smaller). There is not a whole lot of resources about this topic online, and my primary question is: will this hurt my chances of being repped by an international agent? On most submission guidelines it doesn't specify that you need to reside in America / Britain etc., but I wonder if this does impact their decision? Would I be best trying my luck with Australian agents first?

I'm Canadian, but my agent is American, and she's got clients from the UK and from Oz, so location isn't really much of a limitation anymore.

geban

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone so much for the advice! Yeah Aus agents seem to be very few and far between ...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not entirely inconsequential. I'm in Australia, and one of the questions my UK agent asked was whether it would be possible to pop over there if required.

ETA: I didn't get the sense that it would have been a deal-breaker if I'd said no, but still. Just putting it out there...

Last edited: