Help upgrading Kindle Paperwhite to listen to audio books

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is driving me nuts that Amazon can't have a simple page explaining what to do. :rant:

It looks like you can buy a device to hear audio on your paperwhite— but that says it's for "text to speech". I don't want that, I want to hear audiobooks.

Then they talk about Whispersync for Voice but they don't make it clear, are you listening to the audiobook on your computer? Is there a device you plug into your paperwhite. There's no port except where I plug in the charger.

It's says you can use the paperwhite to hear audiobooks but it's so unclear if you actually can.

I will upgrade to Fire if I can't hear audiobooks on my current Kindle. But it would be so much easier if I just needed some attachment. My son bought me this Kindle and I'd hate to tell him I got a different one.

There is no reason this has to be so hard. What does Amazon think it is doing with such confusing descriptions?

Aaaaaarrrggg!

Thanks in advance.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is driving me nuts that Amazon can't have a simple page explaining what to do. :rant:

It looks like you can buy a device to hear audio on your paperwhite— but that says it's for "text to speech". I don't want that, I want to hear audiobooks.

Then they talk about Whispersync for Voice but they don't make it clear, are you listening to the audiobook on your computer? Is there a device you plug into your paperwhite. There's no port except where I plug in the charger.

It's says you can use the paperwhite to hear audiobooks but it's so unclear if you actually can.

I will upgrade to Fire if I can't hear audiobooks on my current Kindle. But it would be so much easier if I just needed some attachment. My son bought me this Kindle and I'd hate to tell him I got a different one.

There is no reason this has to be so hard. What does Amazon think it is doing with such confusing descriptions?

Aaaaaarrrggg!

Thanks in advance.
I have an older Paperwhite which doesn't work with Audible, but the new ones just require Bluetooth headphones or speakers (nothing to plug in). If you have the new model and an Audible subscription, it should work. (I don't know about audio books not through Audible.)

All the best,
Riv

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This Kindle Paperwhite can play Audible audiobooks via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth enabled speaker/headphones.

This the latest Paperwhite Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation - 2018 release.; previous versions can't do Audible books.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you very much! Now if only I could find out if I have 9 or 10. I'll have to go find the box since I can't find anything on my Kindle that says which one it is. :(

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't find anything that says Bluetooth. It just says WiFi.

Neither the box or paperwork that comes with it says what version it is.

Maybe the "firmware version" can be translated into a 9 or 10 or other. Sigh, why is this so complicated for the uninitiated?

Nope, that wasn't it, that was an update.

Advanced options says there is Whispersync but nothing on that option says anything about Bluetooth or syncing with audible.

And of course when I open that box my options are cancel or disable to get back to the menu. Clearly I don't want to disable it. WTF am I canceling? Don't know but it was the only way to close to window.

This is insane. No wonder the elderly have a hard time using newer technologies.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, looks like I can turn that whispersync on via my account.

Anyone have any recommendations for some good (and easy to use :tongue ) bluetooth headphones?

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, looks like I can turn that whispersync on via my account.

Anyone have any recommendations for some good (and easy to use :tongue ) bluetooth headphones?
Whispersync doesn't mean it will play Audible audiobooks. It means it will sync between devices (like if you are listening to an audiobook on your phone, it will sync with the Paperwhite via Whispresync). If you have the latest Paperwhite, you can also play audiobooks. You really need to determine if you have the 10th gen one or not before investing in Bluetooth headphones.

Find your serial number (I think it's under SETTINGS--> DEVICE), then compare to this list.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

All the best,
Riv

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Riv beat me to it. Whispersync for Voice is the functionality you need, Whispersync alone won't cut it. To see a list of compatible devices for Audible go here.

For your serial number: SETTINGS > DEVICE OPTIONS > DEVICE INFO

then go to the site Riv mentioned.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whispersync doesn't mean it will play Audible audiobooks. It means it will sync between devices (like if you are listening to an audiobook on your phone, it will sync with the Paperwhite via Whispresync). If you have the latest Paperwhite, you can also play audiobooks. You really need to determine if you have the 10th gen one or not before investing in Bluetooth headphones.

Find your serial number (I think it's under SETTINGS--> DEVICE), then compare to this list.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

All the best,
Riv
Bummer. One of the disadvantages of getting a refurbished device. My son is very much into recycling. And I didn't tell him I wanted voice capability because I was only familiar with the text to voice audio on Kindles.

The model # is G090G105, that's way back there in the earlier Kindles.

So, buying a new one isn't expensive but I hate telling my son I can't use the one he bought me.

:Hug2: You guys are wonderful. Thanks for the help.

Now I have to stress over picking out a new one. And do I want to bother with the hassle of trading in my last two for a $55 credit ($50+$5). If I keep my old one, I don't have to tell him I bought a new one.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
You and I have the same Kindle Paperwhite 3. It's still the most popular of the plain e-readers and has the longest battery life; I received mine new as a birthday gift in 2015 and just replaced the battery a couple of months ago and that was reading it for hours every night and NOT having it on Airplane Mode. You might want to hold on to it as a backup device . . . for a while anyway. Just in case.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Ari. That helps. I'll keep it and buy an additional Kindle and my son doesn't need to know.

There's usually a good price break in June and another in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.