How do these self-made covers look?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I made some covers for my linked MG short story collections. They are the covers I've always imagined on my books, but now I'm worried they look like... garbage. I know that there is nothing wrong minimalism, but is it right for my covers? I just don't know. Tell me what you think of them. BTW, I've only written the first but want to know if the covers look good as a series

Here

Last edited:

Ralph Rotten

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Website
rottenapplepublishing.com
Kudos for adding the font outline, but the font itself is underwhelming.
One way to test covers is to thumbnail them down to 150x200 and see if you can still see what they are. This is because that's about how big they'll be on Amazon.
If they're hard to see at that size, then no one will ever click on 'em.

I'd go look for a nice custom font, and some professional artwork.
What? Too expensive?
Nah! Canstockphoto.com is a good spot to buy clipart for print runs less than 50k. They also have custom fonts.
I usually pay $7-$12 a picture.
Awesome site.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Ralph about the fonts not being interesting, and I do think the outlining is a good touch but I hadn't considered the thumbnailing thing. I think your name in particular will lose legibility on shrinking.

I see what you're doing with the placement of the elements to look like faces on each cover, but if I only saw covers 1 and 3 I wouldn't have made that connection.

Beyond that, I'm pretty helpless with anything visual, so all the best in developing the next iteration of covers.

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
If you're going for minimalism, don't use gradients. Just use a flat, yet eye-popping color. Google "Saul Bass" and take a look at the kind of colors he used.

While I have nothing against the covers-as-faces motif in theory, putting all that text between the eyes and mouth looks fugly. I recommend putting the pseudo-faces in the center, and then put your name above and the title below.

As for the font itself, you can get rid of the outline. Outlines are really only useful when the background has a lot of different colors and you need to make sure the text can stand out. I'd go with white letters, honestly, and make the background a nice, solid matte color that contrasts well with it and makes the white pop.

And as to the font, here's a link I found recently:

https://thebookdesignblog.com/design-articles/free-fonts-sci-fi-book-covers

Take a browse on there, find a font you like, then check its license. As long as it says "SIL Open Font License", you're allowed to use it commercially as much as you want.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
@Margrave86

Thanks so much. Through your link I found a different amazing website called fontsquirrel.com. I'm currently browsing its massive font library.

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
@Margrave86

Thanks so much. Through your link I found a different amazing website called fontsquirrel.com. I'm currently browsing its massive font library.

I actually prefer Google Fonts, since they're designed to be linked by websites and are thus much easier to actually download and use, but searching for a particular type or feel of font isn't that great (ironically enough).

Just make sure to read through a font's license and ensure it allows free commercial use. The "Open Font License" does, but I'm not sure about any others.

Last edited:

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
I stand by my earlier critiques--use flat matte colors, change the font fill to white, put the faces in the center and the text above and below--but I'd like to add a new one: the placement of your elements is not consistent. Whenever you have a motif like that, you want the elements to be aligned so they look nice when scrolling through them. I'm not sure what program you used to put those together, but I'd recommend ensuring the "text", "eyes", and "mouths" all have the same position and dimensions, or as close as possible.

I'm not sure why the second book has a different title scheme, either. You should change it so it's consistent.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Get these redone by a professional. There is nothing in that design that will tempt a MG kid to look inside. My little nephew would pass these by in a heartbeat and dive for the nearest Wimpy Kid book instead.

Make sure the "Barney and Mr. Thomas..." are in smaller font, with the main title in a larger font.

The colors are too dark with not enough contrast between background and lettering. Reduced to the size of a postage stamp they're not readable.

Unless you have had formal education/years of training in graphic design and did well at it, be a writer and turn the heavy lifting of cover design and branding over to someone else. Yes, give them your ideas, then step away so they can do their job.

Your works are in direct competition with professionally designed covers and have to look just as good if not better. Give them the chance they deserve.

Besides, whatever you pay the designer is a tax deductible business expense on your Schedule C.

Last edited:

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Honestly? Versions 1 and 2 both look too rough.

With minimalist covers, each details carries more weight. The titles are hard to read but aren't forming appealing lines. Your byline merges with the title, which is confusing. The placement of the images seemed random at first. I didn't notice that the cover images formed faces. The colors feel slightly adult. On the one cover, "Time Machine" on the van with "Time" in the title and the clocks as the eyes is redundant, making for clutter.

I wasn't sure how to explain this without making a cover for comparison:

cover-barneybully_th-e1561303345477.jpg

My draft might not be good, but it should how moving elements around can create a different impression.

Last edited:

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to get some Inkscape practice in, so I took a crack at your first cover using my design recommendations:

uc

While I'm no professional, and I agree this isn't going to win over any middle graders, I kind of like it. The puff-cheeked, derpy "Hey guys!" expression is oddly endearing.

Ralph Rotten

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Website
rottenapplepublishing.com
Tis why I suggested canstockphoto...and the font.
That's pretty much the cover.

Here is a particularly ugly cover I did for a book that never sold well (wasn't my book so blame the marketing on someone else. I just built the eBook & print version.)

BuckyJackson.jpg

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Just a little heads up. I'll be on a vacation until late July, but The only time I won't (I think) have my laptop is this week. I'll be able to see your posts and respond via my phone, but I won't be able to edit my covers this week. But please continue to share your opinions. I really appreciate them and am trying to incorporate them into my covers while keeping my own touch. (but maybe my own touch isn't good enough...)

Anyways, thanks again.

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
My advice? Use your lack of laptop access to study up on the fundamentals of cover design. Look up websites and blog that analyze cover art. Watch a tutorial or two showing how to put a cover together. Read up on design software that can help you.

Then, after you've had some time away, come back to your covers with a fresh eye.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
My advice? Use your lack of laptop access to study up on the fundamentals of cover design. Look up websites and blog that analyze cover art. Watch a tutorial or two showing how to put a cover together. Read up on design software that can help you.

Then, after you've had some time away, come back to your covers with a fresh eye.

You've read my mind. That's exactly what I was planning to do. I've was doing that right now, but all I can seem to think is, "Wow. I'll never make a cover as good as those". But I'm trying and learning and that's what I need to do.

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
You've read my mind. That's exactly what I was planning to do. I've was doing that right now, but all I can seem to think is, "Wow. I'll never make a cover as good as those". But I'm trying and learning and that's what I need to do.

I was hopeless with Inkscape when I first started using it. But if you want to download a copy (it's free) and learn it, I can recommend a series of YouTube videos from a channel called LogosByNick. They're very informative and helpful in using it for graphic design.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I don't think my covers are worthy of my characters. I mean these characters were what made me want to publish my work. I just can't do them justice, but I think my little sister can. She's an amazing artist. (I mean AMAZING) Maybe I'll offer her some money ($75?) if she'll make my cover more amazing.

I was thinking, I'll add my two main characters on the cover of the first, possibly sitting on the wrench.

On the second I'll have her draw an alligator creature for me.

On the third maybe a time machine.

On the last one I'll have my MCs looking scared while a giant lady looms behind them.

Just thinking out loud here.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
This is a series, so you'll want to be consistent with the design. My recommendation is to either show your characters (which I think does do well in MG, if that's your audience) or don't (to keep a simpler design). Hiring your sister sounds like a good idea, assuming she's interested. With that art, you could ask for help adding the text elements.

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
This is a series, so you'll want to be consistent with the design. My recommendation is to either show your characters (which I think does do well in MG, if that's your audience) or don't (to keep a simpler design). Hiring your sister sounds like a good idea, assuming she's interested. With that art, you could ask for help adding the text elements.

You're right. I think I'll have my characters on all four covers. I just finished making pictures of my main characters in a avatar maker, so she can have something to go off of.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
These covers just aren't working for me, sorry. I'd suggest going to Amazon, finding a bestselling cover design in your genre that you like, and then copying the elements as closely as possible for your story. Get as close as you can with fonts, colors, and sizing. See if that results in an improvement.

The only other course I see open is to hire a designer, and that will probably be cost-prohibitive for an MG SP book, even if it is a series.