The 2019 Sequel Solstice Story Share: The Sequel!

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent it in.

Heh.

That'll teach me not checking out the last bit of the thread out before hitting the send button. :roll:

My opening is clunky as hell and slightly over-golden-worded and I forgot to add 'The End' at the end but it'll have to do. I need distance and time if I want to improve anything, for which a week is not enough any way. The overall story is non-horrible (or as RedWombat would say 'doesn't shame my ancestors' but as I don't know exactly who my ancestors are but as I can imagine them since they eventually led to me, it'll probably have to be real bad to shame them anyways...)

I'm happy enough with it. It was... fun, all things considered. That's why I love sequel sysiphus. Although I expect some glaring plot-hole is going to make itself obvious ANY MINUTE NOW!

Sure as hell ain't gonna wait until the tiny eye volcanoes spring something new on me. AGAIN. Oh the joys of once again having to look for an opthalmologist abroad. Couldn't get an appointment before tuesday... I'm rocking the La LLorena look.

It'll be one of the shorter ones, by the sound of things. 6,5K. Part of me wants to be embarrassed about, another part just can't care because I'm a short story writer, always have been, and it is becoming distressingly clear I well likely never write a novel if it had to save my life. I'm okay with it. (Someone's gotta be.)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit like Friendly Frog. I'd love to be able to write long (and for me I sorta did, with my story coming in at just under 3700 words) but I just don't stretch that way. So I've submitted, and am wondering if I can whip up a little flash for another prompt in this extra week.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Done with my revision sweep, but I'll have to wait to submit until tomorrow. Unforeseen circumstances mean I have to go to bed early tonight to drive a relative to an appointment at way-too-early o'clock. (The sibling was supposed to do it, but she took a bad tumble today and won't be up to driving by tomorrow morning.) And, much as I'd like to get this blasted bloated thing off my hands, I think I need the extra time to make sure I got it right... or, you know, as right as it's possible for something this wrong to get.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I just love the Jell-O rules.

Got a new (to me) laptop, Scrivener loaded up last night and....only lost what I hadn't saved.
:snoopy:
So I've got a week of furtive sribbling to do this week to make this thing have an ending that doesn't end in To Be Continued...

Now....where'd I put my motivation for this story.

Last edited:

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score

Got a new (to me) laptop, Scrivener loaded up last night and....only lost what I hadn't saved.
So I've got a week of furtive sribbling to do this week to make this thing have an ending that doesn't end in To Be Continued...

That is great news :hooray: and I'm sure you'll be back to your story writing self in no time.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Okay, the morning appointment and shopping has been dealt with, I've done the requisite chilling/attempt to shake off the last of the "I woke too frellin' early" brain fog. Now to do the last look before submission. (Also have to find that 200-word excerpt for guessing. Which will be tough because there aren't 200 good words in the whole manuscript.)

ETA - Gah, that took too long, but I finally have my story done and my 200ish word excerpt. (I'm three words over 200. I hope that's okay.) About to send off.

ETA2 - Bombs away! (And, yeah, it's rather a bomb...)

Last edited:

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score

That's great news! Gotta love the Jello rulez.

Bombs away! (And, yeah, it's rather a bomb...)

A bomb, or da bomb? Two different meanings...

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to say I've got meds for the tiny eye volcanoes (more thorough recap in the cantina-thread) and to say I'm rooting for all you guys still writing. :Hug2::e2cheer: Go go go! You can do this!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Gonna finish this scene then one more, and time to call it in. Wish I could have reached the end of the chapter at least, but oh well, we've had enough time and I'm over the 2k mark, plus this is supposed to be my extra story anyways.

Kinda don't know what to make of this one, the symbolism got kinda out of hand. WOOOOOO! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ALL YOUR STORIEEZZZZ!

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Coddi has words to say about many things, though until she learns grammar and punctuation, I'm not minded to pay them much heed. It's likely her tail isn't even hurt at all, but being such a drama queen, she can't help but try to go one better than people with actual problems (like the poor Friendly Frog with the Tiny Eye Volcanoes). We mustn't judge the poor horse though, because she really does try her best not to be insufferable every day of the week (sometimes with more success than other times).

Forgive me for being cheeky, butt in the end, these tails of woe have rearly made us all fall behind.

And I see that my friend the Mangy Cur from Down Under is sharpening his wit for the guessing thread. Good thing he's starting early; with wit that dull, it takes A LOT of sharpening to put an edge on it.

I'm about to send off my story #3 to the Benevolent Master of Jello (Thanks Jay for the extension!). I am officially done, and ready for the guessing. BRING IT!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
And I see that my friend the Mangy Cur from Down Under is sharpening his wit for the guessing thread. Good thing he's starting early; with wit that dull, it takes A LOT of sharpening to put an edge on it.

You come at the (co) king you better not miss.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me for being cheeky, butt in the end, these tails of woe have rearly made us all fall behind.

I'm about to send off my story #3 to the Benevolent Master of Jello (Thanks Jay for the extension!). I am officially done, and ready for the guessing. BRING IT!

I know nothing about this thread, but even in preview on "What's new" this post was so punfully enticing I just had to click on it. Repartee sharp enough to split my keyboard!

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
I know nothing about this thread, but even in preview on "What's new" this post was so punfully enticing I just had to click on it. Repartee sharp enough to split my keyboard!

Join us next year! It's a good kind of crazy, I swear. :)

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
I just wrote "the end" it's abrupt and I don't like it, but there it is. Now I can maybe do a quick review and fix a few glaring mistakes before deciding which 200 words are my guesstinator.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score

So, the comedian has emerged from the far corners of whichever vet clinic deals prescriptions out with a view to dulling the senses (tho the senses, esp the common sense, was three-quarters dull already, though few dare to say anything for fear of mod hammers).

But neigh, I am not sharpening my wit for the guessing thread, for that would be wasted on the likes of you. Rather, my razor wit will be used to shave the hair from your butt* tail, so that everyone can see how funny it looks in all of its broken droopiness. ;)

*oops, wrong thread, limericks are thataway

You come at the (co) king you better not miss.

Exactly.

Bring on the guessing and let the storeez see the light of day!

Ooh, I still haven't submitted mine. *makes mental note not to forget, because mental notes are waay more reliable than all other notes*

Last edited:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I'd already submitted my three entries before the 15th, prior to the extension.

I may be squeaking one more out before the deadline. :p

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted! Woohoo!!

Now let the guessing begin.

And then the actual reading of The Stories, which will be a reward for all of the nail biting and falling down weird plot holes.

THE PUPPY IS PUMPED!

Last edited:

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be quiet folks. Been a bit poorly and am currently in hospital for investigations.

I sent my story in and the tweaks I've done since will have to wait until I'm back home, but no worries if we start the guessing soon, as the story is ready to go as it is.

Hopefully the guessing can provide me with some entertainment while I'm here!

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Sue, not you too! I swear this thread is cursed for those who participate. We need to make a sacrifice to appease the gods!*

*Only a big sacrifice would do, so I'm thinking maybe a horse? Does anyone know a horse that we could offer up? One that we wouldn't miss would be best.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to be quiet folks. Been a bit poorly and am currently in hospital for investigations.

I sent my story in and the tweaks I've done since will have to wait until I'm back home, but no worries if we start the guessing soon, as the story is ready to go as it is.

Hopefully the guessing can provide me with some entertainment while I'm here!

Not Sue! Hope you're back in good health soon, since it's not gonna be the same w/o you.

(srsly, wtf everyone?)

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Sue, not you too! I swear this thread is cursed for those who participate. We need to make a sacrifice to appease the gods!*

*Only a big sacrifice would do, so I'm thinking maybe a horse? Does anyone know a horse that we could offer up? One that we wouldn't miss would be best.

Sue, I'm so sorry! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

And if the cure for your malady necessitates acquiring a test subject, I know a cur who'd gladly offer himself up. For science, you know.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Sue, I'm so sorry! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

And if the cure for your malady necessitates acquiring a test subject, I know a cur who'd gladly offer himself up. For science, you know.

Hey, leave poor Kevin out of this! Unless you're referring to his awesome bandana? That could be used for the application of poultices, I suppose...

stupid horse

Not Sue! Hope you're back in good health soon, since it's not gonna be the same w/o you.

(srsly, wtf everyone?)

What's a wio? :ROFL:

Last edited: