The 2019 Sequel Solstice Story Share: The Sequel!

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, if the reference is balls and jocks I can't possibly think why anyone would think it's dirty. :rolleyes

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
haha, I thought that phrase was dirty for years, till I found out it's a fighter jock term (and only sounds dirty).

I want to dispute this, because I liked it better with my old interpretation.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score

I want to dispute this, because I liked it better with my old interpretation.

Understandable. Not to be crude or anything, but due to anatomical configuration, when a canine backs up to a wall...

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Come on you guys. It only makes sense as a totally innocent comparison of the knobby bits on top of a throttle to balls, which one pushes all the way forward ("to the wall") in order to go fast. You'd have to have a filthy, filthy mind to imagine anything else!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Understandable. Not to be crude or anything, but due to anatomical configuration, when a canine backs up to a wall...

I mean, not to TMI, but the dude in my avi didn't leave the pound with all the parts he came in with. Can't be helped.

Come on you guys. It only makes sense as a totally innocent comparison of the knobby bits on top of a throttle to balls, which one pushes all the way forward ("to the wall") in order to go fast. You'd have to have a filthy, filthy mind to imagine anything else!

*Feels insulted, goes to stew in Balls Thread*

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
*catches up on thread. Realizes a content warning will not be necessary for story #2. Nope. Not with this crowd. Goes back to searching for betas.*

*whistles* Heeeere, betas. Beta beta betas! Good betas! *taps can*

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I have an opening paragraph.

*runs victory lap*

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, not to TMI, but the dude in my avi didn't leave the pound with all the parts he came in with. Can't be helped.

What sort of dog are you that you understand the concept of TMI?

And if you want to get technical and everything, then backing up to the wall would also require the lifting of the tail in happiness, though upon completion of the reversal and subsequent contact with the wall it would be reasonable to assume that the tail immediately tucks between the legs.

*Feels insulted, goes to stew in Balls Thread*

Yes. I think I'll go and join you. Ajaye hasn't been there for a few days either. Let's go and make some noise.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
I have an opening paragraph.

*runs victory lap*

Speak of the devil!

If you run a victory lap for each completed paragraph you are either going to be ripped or dead by the time you finish.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Well, I have an idea, and and inciting incident, and maybe some idea of the end. Maybe 2 characters? But there will be more. No idea how long.

I did manage to fit all three prompts into the idea. No bonus points for me though - I’ll leave that to those more adventurous

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
So far, my progress:

Main entry: 2.8k
Sub-entry #1: 2.3k (completed)
Sub-entry #2: 1.0k
Sub-entry #3: 2.2k

#2 will probably only be about 2k at the most. #3 might go up to 4k/5k, depending on how much I add to the middle. Still not sure how beefy the main entry will get.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Setting: opening scene

*fifteen main characters elbow their way in uninvited, knocking each other over, yelling over the top of each other, and demanding equal attention*

Uh, these guys do know what happens to people in my stories, don't they?

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
So far, my progress:

Main entry: 2.8k
Sub-entry #1: 2.3k (completed)
Sub-entry #2: 1.0k
Sub-entry #3: 2.2k

#2 will probably only be about 2k at the most. #3 might go up to 4k/5k, depending on how much I add to the middle. Still not sure how beefy the main entry will get.

I'm trying realllly hard not to look, because I might start thinking "Hey, LilyWhite's doing four. That means I won't look like a total crazy person if I do three." *Slaps my own face. Get ahold of yourself!*

I have:

Main entry: 2600 words (completed)
Sub-entry #1: 2800 (completed)
Sub-entry #2: A few notes and floating ideas. I was going to pass, but... curse you, LilyWhite! (But no. Not really. :) )

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Setting: opening scene

*fifteen main characters elbow their way in uninvited, knocking each other over, yelling over the top of each other, and demanding equal attention*

Uh, these guys do know what happens to people in my stories, don't they?

Mine tend to suffer terribly! lol

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I'm going WAY lighter and fluffier this year. Of course, the story I'm finishing up on has numerous people exploding for no good reason and crying out in unspeakable agony. But there hasn't been any cannibalism or human sacrifice yet.

Yet.

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
We already have a 'no bugs rule', or rather a 'please warn Jay beforehand if there are bugs'. Might have to add a 'rats' rule for Norman. Also, if anyone is writing a story about being trapped in a tiny room or having their toes or fingers broken, might wanna let me know.

Noted ^^

Is anyone else freaked out by the thought we might be all writing minor variations on the same story?
(And that everyone else's are infinitely better than mine?)

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Noted ^^

Is anyone else freaked out by the thought we might be all writing minor variations on the same story?

I can very nearly guarantee your story will be unique. That's one of the great things I love about this event, it lets an author see just how different a story goes based on the same prompts.

And your story will be better than you think.

Norman Mjadwesch

Registered
Reaction score
Passing 4000 words! :e2thud:

Noted ^^

Having already had a peek at two of the stories I can say that some of the similarities border on plagiarism, and yet am mystified how this can be due to my words being password protected. (And of course not being a word thief, for those of you who may be giving me side eyes.)

But no, not freaked out. Let's call it... titillated. :eggplant

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Research attempted but I think I'm just going to pants that part. Now in search of a decent plot and more characters. Oddly, the one with the dog* is eluding me for the moment, even with all them dog avatars around.

Well, no to the first part. I remember from the last Sequel Soltice how different all the stories were, even the ones that incorporated the same three prompts. So I think it's safe to say the chances are high everybody is interpretting the prompts their own unique way.

Yes, alas, to the second part. Damn you, imposter syndrome.

On the other hand, people were also so darn nice about my story and gave me sweet reviews which I still treasure.

*There is currently no actual dog in my story. Just wanting to throw everbody off scent for the guessing thread. Obviously it will be an attack vulture.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
haha, I thought that phrase was dirty for years, till I found out it's a fighter jock term (and only sounds dirty).

That it is. "Balls to the walls" is a colloquialism for pushing the throttle controls all the way forward to the firewall between the cockpit and the engine/prop. In helicopters you pull the collective (power level) up, but "balls to the ceiling fan" never really caught on.....

How's the Summer Sisyphus going? Wish I could have participated this year, but if folks need a beta, add me to the list.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
How's the Summer Sisyphus going? Wish I could have participated this year, but if folks need a beta, add me to the list.

Why, balls to the ceiling fan, of course! :D

:eggplant

smoothbanana~6.jpg

smoothbanana~5.jpg

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! I think I'll take you up on that Cobra. Thank you from me and I expect a few others.

This way everyone participating is free to guess which is my story!

:snoopy:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
So now there's balls on the ceiling fan and an undead banana haunting this thread...

I feel so behind.

(On the plus side, I got a rough outline glopped down last night, with the hopes of actual content writing starting tonight.)