Who here's good at social interactions? Need suggestions for an awkward work situation

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
So I just recieved an email from a new employee asking if I was attending the going-away party for one of our other coworkers.

The problem: I didn't know there WAS a going-away party.

Now my feelings are NOT hurt here. Both the email writer and the outgoing employee work in a different location from me and 99% of my interactions with them are just formal work emails/quick troubleshooting phone calls. If I were throwing a going-away party for myself, I probably wouldn't have thought to invite her either. We're friendly and cordial, but we're not friends, you know?

My question is this: how do I respond to the email?

Do I just say I'm not going to be able to attend and let him assume I knew about it? But then, if he finds out I wasn't invited, he'll wonder if my feelings have been hurt.

Should I give him a heads-up that not everybody was invited, so he might want to be careful who he mentions the party to? If I do that, I'd have to explain that I know this because I'm one of the ones who wasn't invited.

Should I just not respond at all?

Mostly I don't want to make the letter-writer feel bad for blabbing or worry that he's hurt my feelings. He's brand new, and brand new employees tend to already be bubbling cauldrens of anxiety at the thought of saying or doing the wrong thing. I can't exactly write that I don't care, either, because 1) that's what someone would probably say even if they DID care and 2) it's liable to sound like I'm saying I don't care about the outgoing employee herself, which would be not only incorrect, but harsh.

I'd love suggestions on how best to navigate this minor, but tricky social interaction, and figured the best place to ask about an office party was... office party.

Normally, I'd ask my other coworkers for advice, but I can't in this case, because either they were invited and will feel awkward that I wasn't, or they weren't invited and telling them will just complicate things.

Lol... am I just overthinking this whole thing?

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Disclaimers:
* I am not a social butterfly
* I avoid most work "functions" like they're sticky drippy buckets of fresh Ebola
* The older I get, the less I care about what others think of me, or worry about playing office politics, etc

So, I might say something like:

"Hey, thanks for asking! I actually didn't know there was a party, but that's cool as I'm not able to attend anyway, because I need to <insert plausible excuse>. Have fun, though, and say hi to everyone from me!"

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's perfect! Thanks so much!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Introversion beat me too it. I was thinking the same thing:

I hadn't heard about the party yet but I can't go anyway....

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was definitely overthinking it. Give me a giant project and I'm fine, but the smallest social situations can throw me for a loop. After much pondering, I ended up going with this:

Unfortunately I won’t be able to attend, but I hope you have a great time!

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Just say, "No, I wasn't invited, and I have plans for this evening so I couldn't attend if I wanted to."

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Is the culture at your work to have invite-only going aways? All the places I've been, those have been pretty open, maybe invite people who don't actually work there. (spouses, retired co-workers who are specially connected, etc.) They were also during work hours at work. If this is some after hours off site thing, it's probably not the same.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's not going to feel hurt, and it ain't your job to spare him. Just say you're busy that night (and that's ALL) and don't worry about it. Less is more.

This. Just answer the direct question and there's no need to explain anything.

Chances are, he won't connect that you weren't invited because you declined, so no harm done. Even if he does connect it, it's not your job to manage his feelings as long as you have been polite and honest.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I am no social guru, and I often cringe or kick myself when I clue into awkward social dynamics after there's anything I can do about them. I work in a place where we get flooded with e-mail each day, most of it not at all important to my actual job. It's actually a nuisance having to sift through it to find important messages from my students or colleagues. I get "invited," or maybe "notified of" all manner of retirement parties, baby showers, going away parties, memorials, and so on, for people I barely know or don't know at all. A lot of email goes unread, so it's perfectly normal to not to respond at all to e-mails that are awkward or not relevant to one's situation.

So maybe that's one option. Just don't reply to the email. The sender likely will assume it slipped through the cracks and probably will also surmise you aren't going.

Or if your relationship with this person, or your workplace culture, makes not responding to an email unusual or awkward, another possibility is a quick replay along the lines of, "Oh I didn't hear about so and so's going away party. I don't know her that well."

Don't emphasize not being invited, even if that's implicit. The neutral tone should make it clear it's not a big deal and you're not offended but also that you're not in that particular inner circle. It will also let the person asking that the invites (or notifications or however it works) weren't universal.

Last edited:

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I think taz has it pretty well nailed. No need to create or add to any drama. It's work, not a sorority or fraternity.

The worst he could do is mention to whoever sent out the invites that you mentioned you weren't able to be there and that should not create a serious response.

AstronautMikeDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelprocopiowrites.wordpress.com
Yeah, I was definitely overthinking it. Give me a giant project and I'm fine, but the smallest social situations can throw me for a loop. After much pondering, I ended up going with this:

Unfortunately I won’t be able to attend, but I hope you have a great time!

This was the perfect way to handle it. Short and sweet! I overthink things like this all the time so I totally understand.