• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

I really need help

Angel_Faerie

Type, Read, Delete, Think...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
God, where do I start?

I published my debut novel, Eighteen Lives, last October via a small (but amazing) publisher, Inspired Quill. The problem is, it's not selling as well as I'd like. I'm not expecting it to suddenly sell one million copies overnight or anything, I'm realistic, but I was at least hoping for a little better than #4,172,526 on the Amazon sales charts and only three reviews (not that I don't appreciate those reviews, but I haven't had any more since). I feel in my bones that this book can succeed, I just can't seem to figure out out how to go about accomplishing that. I'm lost.

Which brings me to writer's block. See, there's supposed to be a sequel to Eighteen Lives in the works titled Eighteen Deaths. I'm struggling hard with it. I have a few bare bones ideas of things that I want to happen, but I need a more solid foundation to begin with. I'm starting to think all of what I just said is part of the reason why I'm having difficulties. I feel like a big failure. Like I'm screwing up my dream. I need help, guys. Badly. I'm drowning here![FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
First, congrats on being published! Regardless of the sales, it is a quite a hurdle. If you are committed to the new project, I suggest to set aside the first one, now that it's out there. Focus on the characters and developing the best story you can. Some handy resources linked in this forum that can help a great deal with this stage.

And if your dream is to write novels, IMO you can only screw it up by not writing

Last edited:

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
It's hard to set aside the first one, though, because I don't feel like I'd be leaving it in the place I want it to be. It's like sending a child to college, you want to make sure they're going to be ok before you drive away. And right now, I don't feel that. If I'm honest, it would feel like I'm leaving my hypothetical child in some messed up dorm with mold and rats everywhere :ROFL:

As for your other point, that's certainly true, but I was hoping to make a living as a writer. I work for my mom at her counseling agency as her receptionist, and have since I was 17 (12 years!) but she's going to retire someday - long before I'm done being able to work. I want my writing career to be able to keep me going financially when that happens

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
What were you thinking of doing to help sales of your first book? Is the idea to supplement whatever the publisher is doing with your own publicity campaign, for example sending copies to additional book reviewers, visiting bookstores, etc?

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
It's hard--very, very hard--for anyone to support themselves by writing alone. It's not really a realistic goal, alas; most writers either have "day jobs" and write in their spare time, or have working spouses to support them (and provide health insurance.)

But if you want to make a go at it, you have to let go of your first book and write others. There's not much point in investing your resources (time, effort, or money) into promoting a book if the audience you've reached can't close it and immediately buy the next one if they liked the first.

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
What were you thinking of doing to help sales of your first book? Is the idea to supplement whatever the publisher is doing with your own publicity campaign, for example sending copies to additional book reviewers, visiting bookstores, etc?

I did a book signing at my local Barnes and Noble shortly after it came out. It wasn't a failure by any means, I sold all 5 of the store's copies and a few from the box I brought, but people I was expecting to come didn't show up and it left me feeling a little underwhelmed. My local Barnes and Noble didn't really treat me with very much respect either; didn't advertise the signing, didn't have any signage informing people I was there that day, it was messy. But in the end, yes, I'm wanting to supplement what my publisher has done with my own thing, and it's difficult. I'm not really getting anywhere.

It's hard--very, very hard--for anyone to support themselves by writing alone. It's not really a realistic goal, alas; most writers either have "day jobs" and write in their spare time, or have working spouses to support them (and provide health insurance.)

But if you want to make a go at it, you have to let go of your first book and write others. There's not much point in investing your resources (time, effort, or money) into promoting a book if the audience you've reached can't close it and immediately buy the next one if they liked the first.

I suppose that's true, but I want to get people to read the first so they'll want the second. So I know I'm not wasting my time with something no one wants to read. There's the personal satisfaction, which is important of course, but we live in a capitalistic society for better or worse and making money has to be taken into consideration

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
If you feel the sales of your first book aren't good it might be a waste to start a second. Ask yourself why isn't is selling. Has anyone left reviews? What are the reviews like? If it's not the quality or content of the book then you'll need to start marketing it more yourself. Signing isn't really enough, you need to be getting your name and work out there. Many use blogging as a way to plug there work, the amount of times I've read blogs on writing and the author makes shameless pitches of their own work. It's very hard, especially if you haven't built your foundations first and got yourself out there before publishing. If you haven't made your own connections. Knowing editors will make it easier for me to find one, being friends with a literary agent has benefited me because, although she's in a different area, she knows who to avoid and who's looking for what I'm producing. Having someone who is a successful writer that can give me advice is also helpful to me and I'm no where near ready to publish anything yet. Making these connections are vital. Going to writing festivals where these people linger is a great start. Maybe try doing this?

Last edited:

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
Everyone that's read it has enjoyed it, so I'm not sure quality is the problem. I'm open to that idea, I'd swallow my pride and admit it if that were the case, but the evidence isn't backing that up so far. As for meeting editors, agents, and other authors, I do have some good friends that are editors and authors. They were instrumental in helping me get published. But as far as this stage of things goes, having them as friends hasn't been the most helpful. And I'd love to go to a writing festivals and conventions, things like that, but my finances aren't exactly forgiving

Last edited:

jcwriter

Splish splash I was takin' a bath
Registered
Reaction score
Have you discussed things with your publisher? You know, contests, giveaways, email promotions, discounted pricing. Load your social media with articles about yourself, serialized so people will come back for new installments. Once they've come to know you, people will want your novel—you are what sells. And take a look at "How to Promote Your Book" by Caitlin Jans. [Full Disclosure: I haven't read it (I'm not yet where you are—still querying), but Caitlin puts out a monthly news letter on publishers accepting submissions, which I've found useful, so I'd wager she's not a fake.]

Anyway... wish I could be more help. Keep the faith

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
If you want to be successful, you need to write the second book, then the third, the fourth, etc.

In indie publishing, the name of the game is quality and volume. Most small presses simply don't have the distribution and/or outreach that the big 5 have. Those experiencing success have published multiple books. If you pursue platforms such as an Amazon author page, Netgalley, Bookbub, etc., you will have more traction if you have an assortment of quality books to display.

Continue promoting the first one, but if you can't move past it to write the next book in the series, or can't write something completely new, you may find the hill impossible to climb. If you have a mental blocker, write through it. Your words may feel lifeless, sometimes inauthentic, but push through it.

Best of luck to you, Angel. This is not easy and remember, you've already accomplished a monumental step in the process by being published!

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
As a side note--I often reread books from series because I love the characters and the world. I'm more likely to pick up something familiar and comforting than something new that has a steeper learning curve. So, I agree with some of this feedback--write a second great book, and readers that find that one first will be thrilled to learn there's another book already available.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Hugs. And congrats on publishing your first book! FWIW, I keep reading the same advice you're getting here... that it helps to have more than one book out. I think what you are experiencing, where it takes a lot of marketing work on the author's part, is a common experience for people who self-pub or publish with small presses.

As for suggestions... you could try working on your sequel some each day, but also work on a separate project if you feel blocked? In terms of social media/marketing... I just briefly glanced at your Twitter/GR... those are both places you could consider having more of a book-oriented presence if you're interested in boosting sales... and both are free.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you may need to market your own work more, just as a self pubbed writer would although it certainly makes sense to ask whether the publisher has any more ideas or avenues for you. You can devote a portion of your time to marketing and getting reviews and the rest to your new project. At least that way, you can feel that you are supporting your first “baby.”

I am reading a marketing book that makes sense to me (and most of them don’t). It is aimed at highly sensitive, introverted intuitive writers. I’m one of those and I like her approach. Just in case you are one of those too, here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CSHJTPL/?tag=absowrit-20

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, even if the book signing was 'underwhelming', you've learned stuff: first, even with no promotion, you sold some books.So, it's apparently got some immediate appeal.
Second, you know what B&N isn't going to do for your next book.
So, next book (or, if you get a second signing with the current book):
Get your own poster: one to put up in the window, ahead of the event, a second one for the big day itself. And, if B&N won't advertise, see if the local paper does 'events'. Unless you're in a major city - actual author signing actual book should be a bit of an event. At least worth a mention.
If the B&N is in a mall, inquire if the mall itself does advertising, flyers, signage. You are bait to bring the customers in, they should be willing to make a space for you.

Oh, and if you get another signing (anywhere, not just B&N) bring something for the staff: doughnuts, cookies, etc. It's a memory aid - if a customer is looking for a supernatural YA book, but doesn't know exactly what they want, your thoughtfulness may make the staff think of you. Or, keep your poster up a
bit longer.

Last edited:

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
Apologies for taking so long to reply! My personal life got a little hectic for a second there, but everything is good now. Thank you all for your great tips and encouragement!

Have you discussed things with your publisher? You know, contests, giveaways, email promotions, discounted pricing. Load your social media with articles about yourself, serialized so people will come back for new installments. Once they've come to know you, people will want your novel—you are what sells. And take a look at "How to Promote Your Book" by Caitlin Jans. [Full Disclosure: I haven't read it (I'm not yet where you are—still querying), but Caitlin puts out a monthly news letter on publishers accepting submissions, which I've found useful, so I'd wager she's not a fake.]

Anyway... wish I could be more help. Keep the faith

I've discussed a few things with them, but probably not as in-depth as I should have. I'm not quite sure what you mean about articles about myself. Could you elaborate a little more?

If you want to be successful, you need to write the second book, then the third, the fourth, etc.

In indie publishing, the name of the game is quality and volume. Most small presses simply don't have the distribution and/or outreach that the big 5 have. Those experiencing success have published multiple books. If you pursue platforms such as an Amazon author page, Netgalley, Bookbub, etc., you will have more traction if you have an assortment of quality books to display.

Continue promoting the first one, but if you can't move past it to write the next book in the series, or can't write something completely new, you may find the hill impossible to climb. If you have a mental blocker, write through it. Your words may feel lifeless, sometimes inauthentic, but push through it.

Best of luck to you, Angel. This is not easy and remember, you've already accomplished a monumental step in the process by being published!

Thank you for this advice! I'm trying to take it to heart, but it isn't easy.

As a side note--I often reread books from series because I love the characters and the world. I'm more likely to pick up something familiar and comforting than something new that has a steeper learning curve. So, I agree with some of this feedback--write a second great book, and readers that find that one first will be thrilled to learn there's another book already available.

That's not a bad idea, actually. The issue is someone jumping into book two before book one would be very confused and wouldn't be able to follow it very well.

Hugs. And congrats on publishing your first book! FWIW, I keep reading the same advice you're getting here... that it helps to have more than one book out. I think what you are experiencing, where it takes a lot of marketing work on the author's part, is a common experience for people who self-pub or publish with small presses.

As for suggestions... you could try working on your sequel some each day, but also work on a separate project if you feel blocked? In terms of social media/marketing... I just briefly glanced at your Twitter/GR... those are both places you could consider having more of a book-oriented presence if you're interested in boosting sales... and both are free.

I've actually been following your advice! I've gained many new Twitter followers, but I'm not sure if it's translating into sales. Guess time will tell :Shrug:

It sounds like you may need to market your own work more, just as a self pubbed writer would although it certainly makes sense to ask whether the publisher has any more ideas or avenues for you. You can devote a portion of your time to marketing and getting reviews and the rest to your new project. At least that way, you can feel that you are supporting your first “baby.”

I am reading a marketing book that makes sense to me (and most of them don’t). It is aimed at highly sensitive, introverted intuitive writers. I’m one of those and I like her approach. Just in case you are one of those too, here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CSHJTPL/?tag=absowrit-20

I purchased that book on your recommendation! It'll be here tomorrow and I'm very excited to read it

And, even if the book signing was 'underwhelming', you've learned stuff: first, even with no promotion, you sold some books.So, it's apparently got some immediate appeal.
Second, you know what B&N isn't going to do for your next book.
So, next book (or, if you get a second signing with the current book):
Get your own poster: one to put up in the window, ahead of the event, a second one for the big day itself. And, if B&N won't advertise, see if the local paper does 'events'. Unless you're in a major city - actual author signing actual book should be a bit of an event. At least worth a mention.
If the B&N is in a mall, inquire if the mall itself does advertising, flyers, signage. You are bait to bring the customers in, they should be willing to make a space for you.

Oh, and if you get another signing (anywhere, not just B&N) bring something for the staff: doughnuts, cookies, etc. It's a memory aid - if a customer is looking for a supernatural YA book, but doesn't know exactly what they want, your thoughtfulness may make the staff think of you. Or, keep your poster up a
bit longer.

This is fantastic! I never would have thought of some of this stuff. Thank you!

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I went to the Amazon page for the book, read the Look Inside, then bought it. I think, like others already said, once you have more books out, you'll start getting more sales.

SAWeiner

Reaction score
God, where do I start?

I published my debut novel, Eighteen Lives, last October via a small (but amazing) publisher, Inspired Quill. The problem is, it's not selling as well as I'd like. I'm not expecting it to suddenly sell one million copies overnight or anything, I'm realistic, but I was at least hoping for a little better than #4,172,526 on the Amazon sales charts and only three reviews (not that I don't appreciate those reviews, but I haven't had any more since). I feel in my bones that this book can succeed, I just can't seem to figure out out how to go about accomplishing that. I'm lost.

Which brings me to writer's block....
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Congrats on being published. That puts you ahead of a lot of people including myself. That being said, for me, like you, adverse news regarding my writing also saps my creative energies. Every time I got bad news about a query from an agent, there would go my desire and ability to write anything worthwhile that evening.

The catch for both of us is that by not writing more, it is impossible to succeed. We both need to sit ourselves down in front of a computer and just punch away at the keyboard.

Last edited:

Angel_Faerie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dovecalderwood.com
I went to the Amazon page for the book, read the Look Inside, then bought it. I think, like others already said, once you have more books out, you'll start getting more sales.

Thank you so much!! That means more than you know

I'll definitely be using these! Thank you!

Congrats on being published. That puts you ahead of a lot of people including myself. That being said, for me, like you, adverse news regarding my writing also saps my creative energies. Every time I got bad news about a query from an agent, there would go my desire and ability to write anything worthwhile that evening.

The catch for both of us is that by not writing more, it is impossible to succeed. We both need to sit ourselves down in front of a computer and just punch away at the keyboard.

You're probably right, it's just that the ideas aren't flowing the way they normally do for me. It's terrible

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You're probably right, it's just that the ideas aren't flowing the way they normally do for me. It's terrible

Is the book contracted already?

Give yourself a break. Do something else for a week or so. Let your hind brain work things out.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's not contracted, but my publisher is expecting it at some point

So take a week or two off and give yourself and your brain a break. Don't even try to write the sequel.

Brooklyn_Story_Coach

Non est ad astra mollis e terrisvia
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BrooklynStoryCoach.com
Remember when you first started writing, and all you wanted to do was get that first page done? And then a first draft, and then your first good sentence? Remember when the idea of publishing seemed IMPOSSIBLE???

Each time you conquered the next challenge ahead of you. You wrote, you edited, you published.

Now you have another challenge... and it is a good one! You have to write a sequel to a book that once was your baby, but didn't live up to your expectations. Your options are: 1) don't write the book 2) muscle through the book, and possibly have more expectations for success as the first or 3) drop your expectations.

The only hope you have for peace and joy is to drop your expectations. Write for pure joy. Write because the Gods have chosen you to bring the book to the world. Write because you are a writer!

it sucks, but we don't control success. We can only show up and do our work. Steven Pressfield's book "Do the Work" is written for you!

Good luck.