Love and Joy

smartini

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! When I created this account in a fit of angst I imagined my name as "s-martini" not "smart-ini." Needless to say I've never belonged to or read a forum before and will be googling your abbreviations and acronyms as I go along.

That being said I look forward to being a part of this community! While I find the writer's experience to be a parabolic one I've recently realized that the lows can lead to comradery with similarly afflicted people (anyone who hopes to write a novel or publish anything) instead of the bottom of a bottle.

I mostly practice fiction, fantasy, and scifi but am looking to broaden my exposure and taste. I am horrible with run on sentences and still trip over commas like it pays. My "portfolio" ranges from a stoner comedy screenplay, to some short fiction, to the beautifully wicked beast that my unfinished YA novel is proving to be. I look forward to spending my writers block here as cheerleader and constructive critic for those willing to share their work and ultimately as a supporter for anyone in the pits with me :)

Salaha Kleb

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding 'run on sentences', from what I have read here, I think you write well, having included an abbreviation withal, that is, YA.
You know, I have quite many commas in my narrations, which phonologically helps to even out sharp breaks in tone for one reason. In the end, commas are not always to be dictated by a supposed correct usage and the way that feels right to you, otherwise we had no poetry.

E.g., ‘Who hands unto the other his own wrongs for the upkeep of an image, or should a violent man try to make just his call’. Here, the comma before /or/ would indicate a reaction, in some grammatical teachings, and would therefore be regarded as incorrect.

'What is seen as good is seen as evil by the other; who does not quest cannot rest; who does not inquire arises boundaries'. Here, too, one could argue that it is a semicolonic splice, and hence a period should be used instead.

To you too, best of luck.

PS: I hope I could give you a decent reply--and a happy welcome.

smartini

Registered
Reaction score
This is a wonderful reply! I absolutely agree that the mechanics of writing should not be immutable for those phonological reasons and for the sake of flexing form. However, I've found that many times when I believe I am exercising that creative liberty in an early draft it becomes my first order of business during revisions.

Salaha Kleb

Registered
Reaction score
That happens to me likewise, but (and there always seems to be a but, which can be helpful while editing) when reading, let's say a sentence, over and over again, it will eventually appear queer. Anyway, revision takes on a more grammatical approach (and it may fool us); but whether you change it or leave it, what matters most is that you are satisfied with your work--never doubt yourself, nor the height of your achievements.

Thumbs up--you are doing well.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and hello! I like martinis (my avatar over there <— does too) and I very much like the idea of smart-inis so I am looking forward to having you around.

:e2coffee:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's cool to read "smartini" either way. :welcome: to fold. :greenie