My greetings to all o' you

Salaha Kleb

Registered
Reaction score
Supposed to introduce myself, I am yet hesitant as to what I should say, had I never wrought too well with speaking of myself.

Basically, I focus on fantasy, to an epic degree for most, whenso I am no friend of classification by genre. Established by the Greeks, or so I have heard, I do not see where we 'are rolling with the times', adhered to customs of old as we are--quite concerned about 'what is what', it would seem.

Writing fiction has still a degree of truth in it--much as to history itself--, or need I say that I could write alike now if I have not had some historical knowledge of my own life.
This may not make sense to many folks. Perchance I should rephrase it so: Whatsoever you write, you write out of your own fantasy, which has risen from truth--your own truth, so to say, which makes a tale much rarer.
Sating this, I quite disagree to statements--or let's call them advice--that go like: "You use too many adjectives, too few adverbs. Write in the active, never passive, and do never split infinitives", while at the same time, 'Creative writing' is taken for a key to success and really only means: "Write as you would have writen," without said background noise.
Hence, the way you should narrate is introduced before you are told to write 'just as you would have narrated your tale before'--paradoxical. So, at least, the experiences I have made, surely glad if any a one of you has known it else, haply to your gain.

A quick word to a narration

Magical elements and creatures of folklore are often used and expected in the realms of fantasy. However, stories can be crafted where the use of magic is implied rationally.

i. A burning blade in medieval times could be confused with sorcery, whereas the reason for the fire could be something as trifle as whale oil, which is set alight at blades cross.

ii. When fear is at its greatest, the gloom of night can deceive the eye: The shape of a mere dog could therefore emerge unearthly, which again gives birth to tales.

PS: May I have a drink?

Faithfully,
Salaha Kleb

smartini

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoy this. I do have a question for you though: Do you believe you have a definitive understanding of your truth or are you concerned with authenticity? Perhaps they are interchangeable. I believe authenticity allows for contradiction where truth is less likely too. What do you think?

Salaha Kleb

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoy this. I do have a question for you though: Do you believe you have a definitive understanding of your truth or are you concerned with authenticity? Perhaps they are interchangeable. I believe authenticity allows for contradiction where truth is less likely too. What do you think?

The understanding of my truth is limited to my conceptions of my own self, and the way I see this age withal. If I am not willing to consider for myself that I am, for example, a liar, when in truth I know that I tend to lie; then I may be tricking myself into seeing a truth appropriate for my own self-image, which I dare not lose and so manipulate myself into claiming ever so many grounds that make my forges acceptable--sometimes to myself alone, sometimes to others, too--or, quite far off the topic, I simply do so to everyone but myself, which can be a willful deceit (some reasons of which may only be guessed at), but it can as well be a truth, in that I may be longing for acceptance and so, having no value left for myself, everyone else's word weights more, an criticism becomes a yoke, which then is my truth.

I chose for myself that a truth be a lie and a lie, a truth, hence I reckon not my lies but my truths. In an age of lies, it then may likewise be a truth.
Let's say 'In a world of lies a truth may come as one,' now which one is that? It is individual. Some may say the first, others the second, while some more may consider that the saying needs clarification.
Supposed that one of them thinks that his opinion is pointless--hereat he is authentic to his conceptions of himself--, but likewise he downplays the truth of his own tell, the weight of his opinion, if you will, and therefore he neglects his own truth (on reasons of authenticity).

Since we like enough see the flaws in others above our own, however similar they may be, recognition comes with steep falls and bears various dark caverns.

So I'd say. What do you think?

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler.
:welcome:

smartini

Registered
Reaction score
In short, truth as I understand it is finite on account that it has distinguished itself from "non-truth." Being finite it is inherently limited and therefore exhaustible. Authenticity, regarding the individual, is a mode of operating and navigating the various extrinsic pressures you've identified. So if truth is finite and someone considers to know a truth about themselves then they have effectively fossilized this facet of themselves and will cease to develop wherever this "truth" is relevant. Outside of the self, which is capable of change, I do agree that perspective can invert truth/lies. When it comes to introspection, however, I believe truth is a fallacy to stem the tide of personal growth.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Salaha Kleb

Registered
Reaction score
In short, truth as I understand it is finite on account that it has distinguished itself from "non-truth." Being finite it is inherently limited and therefore exhaustible. Authenticity, regarding the individual, is a mode of operating and navigating the various extrinsic pressures you've identified. So if truth is finite and someone considers to know a truth about themselves then they have effectively fossilized this facet of themselves and will cease to develop wherever this "truth" is relevant. Outside of the self, which is capable of change, I do agree that perspective can invert truth/lies. When it comes to introspection, however, I believe truth is a fallacy to stem the tide of personal growth.

You are right. To my consideration, any truth that is supposedly thought to be an absolute truth, is yet open for debate--at the change of the tides, whatsoever has been deemed a truth theretofore can be approached as a guess.
Back in the day, one assumed that Dinosaurs did indeed live in the water or walked on land alike a crocodile. Before the knowing of such a species' existence was there, they were dragons or other types of creatures we nowadays ascribe too folklore. Today we know of the oxygen level of that time, and that they walked on land and had the thew to travel far. Either way, neither of these opinions is wrong, there are but different considerations on the same topic, the latest of which is based on advanced analyses and knowledge. So what might we realize in ten years from now? Would we need to change our opinion. To my eye, everything is a guess, there is no certainty as to which truth is truly the truth. It is evolutionary. But, you sound fairly well with saying: "When it comes to introspection ... , I believe truth is a fallacy to stem the tide of personal growth."
I like that.