2019 FIFA WORLD CUP

ZeMegwin12

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else on here following the World Cup this summer? Crazy 13 - 0 win by USA yesterday!

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
The tournament has been terrific so far. I was disappointed when Australia lost their first match against Spain, but they made amends today, beating Brazil 3-2.

ZeMegwin12

Registered
Reaction score
The tournament has been terrific so far. I was disappointed when Australia lost their first match against Spain, but they made amends today, beating Brazil 3-2.

Oh yeah, loved watching Australia come back from being down 0-2 to winning 3-2! That had to feel awesome. Great game to watch.

SWPelzer

Registered
Reaction score
I am as well. US Women's team fan, but I enjoy watching all of the matches.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Italy vs Brazil could be interesting on Tuesday. USA plays again on Thursday, against Sweden. I would have liked it if South Korea had won.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another women's football fan. Love the enthusiasm and professionalism - the get up and get on with it attitude.

I think the women's matches have demonstrated a very high entertainment value. They should be paid more.

Last edited:

ZeMegwin12

Registered
Reaction score
Another women's football fan. Love the enthusiasm and professionalism - the get up and get on with it attitude.

I think the women's matches have demonstrated a very high entertainment value. They should be paid more.

100% Agree

Can't wait to watch both the 3rd/4th place game and the final this weekend!

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
USA were deserved winners, but I thought the Netherlands were also good value for their place in the final. Their goalkeeper was awesome. Loved the second USA goal.

Will be interesting to see where the women's game is four years from now.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much of a sports fan but caught the game today at the in-laws'. Exciting stuff! Well worth the time spent. I've always like soccer more than football. It's great to see it getting more attention.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone who watched the game, when Rapinoe kicked the penalty goal, why did it look like the goalie didn't make an effort to stop it? I've seen several reruns of the goal and it looks like it went right past the goalie. Usually when a goalie misses it's clear they couldn't get to it.

It's a shame they don't have multiple camera angles.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
For anyone who watched the game, when Rapinoe kicked the penalty goal, why did it look like the goalie didn't make an effort to stop it? I've seen several reruns of the goal and it looks like it went right past the goalie. Usually when a goalie misses it's clear they couldn't get to it.

It's a shame they don't have multiple camera angles.

She was wrong-footed, which made her look like she was rooted to the spot. I used to be a goalie and it happened to me more times than I care to remember! You commit to moving to one side, but before you dive, you realise your mistake, try to correct and look like you didn't move.

I though Holland put up a good fight, particularly in the first half, but while they are good defensively, they are pretty hopeless in attack. The best team in the tournament - by far - won. Well done USA.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She was wrong-footed, which made her look like she was rooted to the spot. I used to be a goalie and it happened to me more times than I care to remember! You commit to moving to one side, but before you dive, you realise your mistake, try to correct and look like you didn't move.

I though Holland put up a good fight, particularly in the first half, but while they are good defensively, they are pretty hopeless in attack. The best team in the tournament - by far - won. Well done USA.

The announcer said this (I think) in different words. Rapinoe faked out the goalie by making it look like she was going to kick to the goalie's right, the goalie fell for it, and Rapinoe changed it up at the last millisecond.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She was wrong-footed, which made her look like she was rooted to the spot. I used to be a goalie and it happened to me more times than I care to remember! You commit to moving to one side, but before you dive, you realise your mistake, try to correct and look like you didn't move....

Thanks. Now it makes sense. :)

The announcer said this (I think) in different words. Rapinoe faked out the goalie by making it look like she was going to kick to the goalie's right, the goalie fell for it, and Rapinoe changed it up at the last millisecond.

That is fantastic!

Last edited: