Oh you and your momentary desires, says the Vatican

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
unhelpfully.
[FONT=&quot] The Vatican has issued an official document rejecting the idea that people can choose or change their genders and insisting on the sexual "complementarity" of men and women to make babies.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It said the idea of gender being determined by personal feeling rather than biology was an attempt to "annihilate nature".

<<snip>>

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The real-life experiences of LGBT people seem entirely absent from this document," said the Reverend James Martin, a Jesuit priest who wrote a book on improving Catholic Church outreach to the LGBT community, titled [/FONT]Building a Bridge[FONT=&quot]. "We should welcome the congregation's call to dialogue and listening on gender, and I hope that conversation will now begin."[/FONT]

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

Oh Francis, I had such high hopes for you to be a decent human. And how you keep dashing them.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

Oh Francis, I had such high hopes for you to be a decent human. And how you keep dashing them.
I know what you mean. I wonder how much of it is him and how much the establishment around him.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, no, sorry. As a former member of that club, I've come to expect nothing but party line bullshit from the guy. He can make as many "radical" or "liberal" statements as he likes; in the end, it's about ROI for the backers.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Catholic church is a deeply conservative (in the old-school meaning of “resistant to change”) institution, so no surprise here.

As an ex-Catholic, I confess I don’t understand why they’re still relevant? Other than inertia. One was indoctrinated into a church as a child, so one stays with and raises another generation in it? But, even most practicing Catholics I’ve known seem to treat it as an ala carte belief system. “Not use birth control? Well, let’s not be silly...”.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
All the thoughts I have about this. Like how much this feels like That Orange Person tossing a grenade to the MSM to cover for the latest familial malfeasance. Even setting aside the doctrinal aspects, I have some...trouble...with an organization that has such a steadily abysmal track record for dealing with crime and corruption in its ranks. Why are their spokespeople granted any credibility at all?

But mostly I don't understand how anyone can look at the beautiful diversity of humanity and think any of its myriad variants are somehow wrong.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Well, in view of the Church's lack of success at ending lying, stealing and killing, I guess the guy's got to try something.
God forbid it be con men, gamblers, or cheats.
Or, spousal abuse, child abuse, and violence in general.
Divorce, adultery and rape?
Really, in order of disappointments to God, transsexuals going about their business, like LGBT folk in general, should be the least of the Pope's concern.

This is what I don't get about the emphasis on Leviticus. There are like, two sentences about men lying with men. There's a whole chapter on incest, and the various degrees thereof. Why isn't anyone fussing about that?

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
...This is what I don't get about the emphasis on Leviticus. There are like, two sentences about men lying with men. There's a whole chapter on incest, and the various degrees thereof. Why isn't anyone fussing about that?

The fake Christians love to cherry-pick their Bible verses to fuel their selective outrage.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm cis-het and definitely not the authority on terminology. But years ago, I did the GLAAD training session on terminology. It was specifically geared toward speaking to the media, but I go to their terminology guide periodically to check terminology and try to keep up with any changes. Since others may find it helpful, I'll provide a link.

(I'm not editing out the repetitions, but I was on the good medical marijuana edibles when I wrote this and am now aghast at how many times I typed "terminology." Reefer madness, indeed).

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe in 400 years they'll figure out it is biology. They can officially apologize.

I too had high hopes for Francis, especially after Ratzy who, IMO, is an anti-gay gay guy. They all have to know that at the Vatican, not to mention all the other gay men in that crowd. [I've read actual evidence, this isn't about name calling.] If only they hadn't been suppressed all their lives.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would have loved to be able to return to the Church of my childhood and I do miss it - but oh dear god once you've seen the harm it does, it's impossible to overlook it - and the good it does do becomes good that anyone with a heart would do. Which, in the end, covers all the religions as far as I can see.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The fake Christians love to cherry-pick their Bible verses to fuel their selective outrage.

You're saying that no real Christian would tie their beliefs to the bible, then? (William Tyndale would be disappointed - as would his agent...)

I think that's sensible, but I don't usually classify as a Catholic or a Christian. I'm generally just here in the corner, sinning with everlasting impunity.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote "fake Christians." I didn't mention real Christians. I know some of both.
But by definition, wouldn't your "real Christians" be cherry-picking the Bible?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why would they? They’re unlikely to be driven by the kinds of hate and fear felt by the cherry-pickers.
It's not about them - it's about the Bible which is pretty full of hate and fear. Either they cherry-pick or they don't, but I don't know that dividing them into "real" or "fake" Christians is something that can be done from the outside, and particularly not on the basis of cherry-picking the Bible.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My opinion on that differs from yours. I wrote about it a couple of years ago: Christians Filled With Hate and Fear.
Our opinions don't matter, do they? Word of God, inspired teaching and all that. If we're not cherry-picking the harsh bits (which are definitely there) then we must be cherry-picking only the mild bits (which are also there.)

ETA: Your blog post is fine and I've heard it a lot, but it depends on a right you're assuming you have to decide who is and isn't a "real Christian" - which kind of flies in the face of Biblical teaching. Again, I'm not an avowed Christian, so this doesn't bother me. It's just that it seems to undercut your Good Christian/Bad Christian divide. Might it not be better to just talk about good people/bad people? Or kind people/unkind people.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to opinions, based on what we see, hear, read...
Of course. So they don't really matter is my point - in the face of Divine Teaching, I mean, or when set against the Received Word Of God for someone who believes in the Received Word of God. (Which I don't, but people do.)

If I believe in the word of God and my spiritual leader's infallible right to decode it for me, then my Opinions (and yours) must secondary. No? This is why so many of us can't believe in the received Word of God as decoded by whomever - although I do love William Tyndale's turn of phrase. That doesn't make us bad Christians or Good Christians or the right kind of Christian or any kind of Christian at all - and you wouldn't really have any right to draw the line on where we stand. We may be no Christian, or we may have our own understanding (our own opinion) of what Christianity is and be that kind of Christian.

You're assuming one definition of Christianity and saying it is good/bad/real. That's just your opinion. It's fine - but it isn't universal and it isn't the decider for anyone else.

Do you see my point? I might not be explaining it well.

Last edited: