AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Oh you and your momentary desires, says the Vatican

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW mccardey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    I think organized religion in general tends to be more doctrinal in countries where they can (or perceive they can) wield political power. Like now, in the US, despite our Constitution.
    Our politics are getting a much more overtly Christian tone just atm. And not in a good way.

I will burn for you,” Morrison promised in his election-eve pitch to undecided voters. At the time the phrase provoked snide asides about his coal evangelism.The sneerers might be feeling chastened that vulnerable mining communities in north Queensland and the Hunter Valley trusted the Coalition, and not Labor, to protect their livelihoods.

As I didn’t know “burn for you” was a phrase used by Pentecostal Christians to denote strenuous service for Christ, I wondered why Morrison was quoting the lyrics of a 1980s INXS song. My ear was not attuned to his pitch to the faithful.

And the faithful rose up on May 18 to re-elect the Coalition - that’s one narrative gaining traction to explain the shock win.
    Last edited by mccardey; 06-13-2019 at 05:00 AM.