Quote Originally Posted by VeryBigBeard View Post
I am very sceptical of agents who do a lot of conferences, to be honest. It's not like it's some black flag--there's lots of very legit conferences with lots of demand and lots of very legit agents do a lot to help prospective authors on that circuit--but there is a subset of agents who spend a LOT of time at conferences and have very, very few sales. At the end of the day, it's the sales that matter.
I agree that some agents seem to spend more time at conferences than selling their clients' books, but I don't think being at a conference at all is a problem. I've spoken to many wonderful agents at conferences who attend them because they hope it will help writers become better informed, and therefore it might cut down on the inappropriate submissions they receive--and up the quality of the good ones.

Ditto social. There are, IMO, a few agents who could do with deleting Twitter themselves. I enjoy researching agents on Twitter and it can be a nice reminder that agents are actual people who love to read, but Twitter's a cesspool and if any agent or author is circling that particular drain, it's going to do more harm than good. There are lots of people--readers, even--who don't tweet much but see an account with 27K tweets, 26,450 of which are flaming pinwheels of anger, and they think, "ew."
Again, Twitter can be a red flag--but I've met several agents on Twitter who are now friends. One agent in particular who I met there became a very good friend, to the extent that I would stay with her when I went to London. I learned so much from her. And it's possible to remain in a positive, informing loop on Twitter if you're ruthless about blocking and ignoring some people.