Key Elections, Riot Police Standby Update Post #68 (was: HK Police Use Live Ammo/Protest Violence)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were even reports here that she would only have withdrawn it because Beijing told her to, that she wouldn't have made the decision herself.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Unsurprised at those reports; it's one of the speculations making the rounds here. I think most of us are convinced she's just Beijing's pawn at this point. However, that said, lots of the problems right now stem directly from her actions approximately three months ago.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I listened more carefully tonight to the news about withdrawing the bill and the news reported she was going to, not that she had.

Whenever I get too worried about Trump, I remind myself at least I don't live in China. Though it looks like such a beautiful country.

I hope things get back to normal for you soon.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unbelievable, Trump has been seeking dirt from foreign countries on Warren and Biden for quite some time. Take a look at this CNN report:

Trump raised Biden with Xi in June call housed in highly secure server
During a phone call with Xi on June 18, Trump raised Biden's political prospects as well as those of Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who by then had started rising in the polls, according to two people familiar with the discussion. In that call, Trump also told Xi he would remain quiet on Hong Kong protests as trade talks progressed....

After this story published, Warren reacted to news of Trump's call with Xi, writing on Twitter, "Trump can say what he wants about me, but it's outrageous that any president would sell out the people of Hong Kong behind closed doors. The public must see the transcript of Trump's call with Xi. And we need a leader who will stand up for our values."...

One Trump ally outside the White House described receiving a message from Chinese government officials asking if Trump was serious when he suggested China open an investigation into Biden. The response: investigating corruption is an easy way to earn goodwill with Trump....

While Trump eventually did tweet out a call for Xi to find a "humane" resolution to the Hong Kong unrest, he did not issue a forceful call to uphold human rights in the former British colony. And as protests again erupted this week as massive celebrations were underway in Beijing for the 70th anniversary of the People's Republic of China, Trump offered Xi his congratulations.
"Congratulations to President Xi and the Chinese people on the 70th Anniversary of the People's Republic of China!" Trump wrote, adopted a drastically different tone than his Republican allies, who used words like "ghoulish," "authoritarian" and "horrors" to mark the occasion.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
This morning, HKT: live rounds fired by police in Sai Wan Ho; protester in critical condition.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/11/...police-shoot-protester-live-round-sai-wan-ho/

The HK police force was once a point of pride for HK, for being upright, honourable, decent people. But all this... well, even if you assign the nasty acts to undercover triad members and Central Government agents, it's still massively telling that the HK police force is no more than a front. Conjecture? As ever more events and closed-door reports come to light, it's hard to say any of this is conjecture now. Especially since they've progressed to live rounds. Fuck.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind I don't really understand exactly what's going on.

I watched the shooting and from here, the policeman was struggling with one protester and shot another who was coming toward them and only a few feet away. I can't say that wasn't understandable. I'm glad the protester is now in stable condition.

I can understand easily why the protests are continuing, because if I lived there I might be one of those protestors had I lived in free Hong Kong and now China was closing in. Xi has declared himself ruler for life. They are using incredibly advanced surveillance to control the population from publicly shaming people who owe unpaid debts to incarcerating Uighers and putting them in re-education camps. That's not bordering on a dystopia, that is a dystopia.

But what is all the destruction going to accomplish except to trigger mainland China to send a swarm of soldiers in to quell the protestors? Do they have a goal they think they can achieve? Is there general support or are they causing some citizens to side against them?

I do so hope it ends well and I am on the side of the citizens of Hong Kong if that isn't clear.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind I don't really understand exactly what's going on.

I watched the shooting and from here, the policeman was struggling with one protester and shot another who was coming toward them and only a few feet away. I can't say that wasn't understandable. I'm glad the protester is now in stable condition.

There’s an FB post going round (bilingual) that shows the protester wasn’t doing anything, though he had a weapon. The second protester was approaching, but to do what is a mystery. The policeman opened fire for no apparent reason. Fearing for his own life? If only that were believable. None of the other cops pulled their weapons until after that one pulled his and used it.

I can understand easily why the protests are continuing, because if I lived there I might be one of those protestors had I lived in free Hong Kong and now China was closing in. Xi has declared himself ruler for life. They are using incredibly advanced surveillance to control the population from publicly shaming people who owe unpaid debts to incarcerating Uighers and putting them in re-education camps. That's not bordering on a dystopia, that is a dystopia.

HK citizens want to protect our freedoms. We have (had?) a semi-democracy and privacy. We’re still a long way from being subject to China’s full rule and we’re aiming to keep that. But the HK Gov has proven to be only a pawn of China’s Gov. And we’re fed up.

Carrie Lam (Chief Executive of HK) is now putting ‘face’ first instead of protecting HK citizens, whether said citizens are wrong or right. But I’m especially angry at her (and the EDB (Education Bureau)) for not suspending classes for all students and teachers in light of this week’s horrifics. There were kindergarteners and pupils and teachers still trying to make their way to school this morning HKT. WTF?!

But what is all the destruction going to accomplish except to trigger mainland China to send a swarm of soldiers in to quell the protestors? Do they have a goal they think they can achieve? Is there general support or are they causing some citizens to side against them?

A lot of the violence is still from people who’ve been paid to do this. And many are probably agents of some sort, too.

I do so hope it ends well and I am on the side of the citizens of Hong Kong if that isn't clear.

Thanks MaeZe. I’m hopeful this will end well, too, but my realism is saying “it’ll probably get worse before it gets better”. But I’m tired of this — five and something months. After Nov, it’ll be half a year since this started. And we tried the peaceful version: we did march quietly, did just sit-in. None of it to any avail. It’s now escalated to this.

Personally, I don’t see this dying down till just before CNY, and I’m not sure that it will either then — there are rumours that some of these extremists want to continue this till 01 July 2020 (“return to China day”).

But I’m tired.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Saw an article in the Atlantic Monthly by Zeynep Tufekci that says some Hong Kong protesters cite China’s cruel treatment of the Uyghurs as an important reason they don’t stop the protests.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/11/escalating-violence-hong-kong-protests/601804/

If protesting Chinese rule is punished with death and cultural erasure, if there is no magnaminity, no mercy, only harsh punishment and genocide awaiting protesters, then there’s no reason to ever stop fighting, goes the argument.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
If protesting Chinese rule is punished with death and cultural erasure, if there is no magnaminity, no mercy, only harsh punishment and genocide awaiting protesters, then there’s no reason to ever stop fighting, goes the argument.

Certainly a legit reason to continue fighting.

But everyone's tired: the police, the protesters, the government, HK citizens.

We just want the government to do the right thing.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I just saw a headline cross my Twitter feed. "Record turnout" and "sharp rebuke" were words in the lede.

Hopefully this won't lead to any backlash from Bejing, but I can't say I feel all that confident about Xi sitting quietly by for this. I really hope there is some thread of "standing by prior commitments" left in the Chinese government. Fingers crossed.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I am astounded and thrilled by the election result. I hope it brings some positive change and not just a harsh backlash from the mainland, as I fear it might.