Final edits done. Thoughts on letting it sit before querying?

Scout

Registered
Reaction score
For the past year, I've been working on my manuscript continually, rewriting and editing.

Now, it's done. But I'm sick of this project and not sure I want to query right away.

I'm torn between letting it sit for a month or even longer before querying versus taking a day or two off to refresh and regroup and then diving into querying. Or is there another option?

I'm itching to start a new project. I have no firm idea yet, but I want to switch gears and create new content, instead of just rehashing and editing.

Any words of wisdom?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So, just to clarify: are you done with the project, or are you expecting more edits? Are you expecting to hear something from queries that will cause you to make revisions?

Because if you're really and truly done with the project, it seems to me it'd make sense to release it into the query maelstrom, and start your new project while you're waiting on responses.

But querying is a strange and stressful thing, and we all need to come to it our own way. Do what works for you.

ETA: And before you query, I'd strongly suggest getting your 50 posts in and heading straight to Query Letter Hell. You will find a large number of helpful, talented, and good-natured people there who will help you workshop your query until it represents your MS in the best possible light.

Last edited:

Scout

Registered
Reaction score
Good questions, Lizmonster. I gave this some thought after I posted and came back to see your response.

I think I'm missing a step. My final edits are complete, but I have not done a final read through.

So I am answering my own question: I'm putting it aside for at least a month, then doing a final read through.

No, I guess I'm not truly done, and it's not ready to be sent out. I'm just so sick of this project.

Thanks for the reply.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm missing a step.
Have you had any critique or feedback from beta readers? One or both can be invaluable. A beta reader (or, ideally, more than one) can give you a feel for how the manuscript is working as a whole, and crit of the opening chapter (like here on Share your Work) sometimes shines a light on the strengths/weaknesses of the all-important first words of the book. It can also highlight writing quirks that we become blind to in our own work, but that may be present throughout a manuscript.

Consider one or both of these methods of feedback.

My final edits are complete, but I have not done a final read through.

So I am answering my own question: I'm putting it aside for at least a month, then doing a final read through.

No, I guess I'm not truly done, and it's not ready to be sent out. I'm just so sick of this project.
In this case, putting it aside before a final read through is ideal, IMO. For me, if I'm sick of a project, I'll miss issues if I force an editing pass. Sometimes it's necessary (tight deadline, etc.), but it's not ideal.

Best of luck with your project, and congratulations on making it this far!

ETA: +1 to lizmonster's suggestion of visiting QLH before starting to query.

All the best,
Riv

Last edited:

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
For the past year, I've been working on my manuscript continually, rewriting and editing.

Now, it's done. But I'm sick of this project and not sure I want to query right away.

I'm torn between letting it sit for a month or even longer before querying versus taking a day or two off to refresh and regroup and then diving into querying. Or is there another option?

I'm itching to start a new project. I have no firm idea yet, but I want to switch gears and create new content, instead of just rehashing and editing.

Any words of wisdom?

It seems like it would be a good idea to turn it over to a professional editor at this point and then query.

I know what you mean about "itching to start a new project." I'm the same way. I'm thinking about the plot for my next novel but haven't finished the novel I've been working on for the past three months. :Shrug:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems like it would be a good idea to turn it over to a professional editor at this point and then query.

I know what you mean about "itching to start a new project." I'm the same way. I'm thinking about the plot for my next novel but haven't finished the novel I've been working on for the past three months. :Shrug:
Just a thought on this. If the OP is querying, I'm thinking they are intending to trade publish, in which case, hiring a professional editor at this stage would (likely) be an unnecessary step. This is especially true if they haven't received crit or beta feedback first to help determine if there are issues that need to be addressed before an agent--or hired editor--lays eyes on the manuscript.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I read somewhere that DaVinci's Mona Lisa was never finished (in Leonardo's mind at least). He traveled with it, and the state we see it in is as it was when he died.

My unpopular opinion is that at some point we have to let go of our work and release it. Nothing is perfect, and if you hold onto your novel waiting for it to be flawless you risk never finishing it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Just a thought on this. If the OP is querying, I'm thinking they are intending to trade publish, in which case, hiring a professional editor at this stage would (likely) be an unnecessary step. This is especially true if they haven't received crit or beta feedback first to help determine if there are issues that need to be addressed before an agent--or hired editor--lays eyes on the manuscript.

Yes. If you're going to make your career in trade publishing, you're going to have to learn to edit your own work. For some hiring a developmental editor can help with this, but eventually you're going to be expected to be able to get a MS up to snuff on your own.

Self-pub is a whole different thing. I'd strongly consider an editor for self-pub.

Scout

Registered
Reaction score
Have you had any critique or feedback from beta readers? One or both can be invaluable. A beta reader (or, ideally, more than one) can give you a feel for how the manuscript is working as a whole, and crit of the opening chapter (like here on Share your Work) sometimes shines a light on the strengths/weaknesses of the all-important first words of the book. It can also highlight writing quirks that we become blind to in our own work, but that may be present throughout a manuscript.

Consider one or both of these methods of feedback.

In this case, putting it aside before a final read through is ideal, IMO. For me, if I'm sick of a project, I'll miss issues if I force an editing pass. Sometimes it's necessary (tight deadline, etc.), but it's not ideal.

Best of luck with your project, and congratulations on making it this far!

ETA: +1 to lizmonster's suggestion of visiting QLH before starting to query.

All the best,
Riv

No feedback or betas.
I think this is the missing step for me.
It's sitting now. Will read through in a month, make final edits, and then look for a beta.
Thank you!!

Scout

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. If you're going to make your career in trade publishing, you're going to have to learn to edit your own work. For some hiring a developmental editor can help with this, but eventually you're going to be expected to be able to get a MS up to snuff on your own.

Self-pub is a whole different thing. I'd strongly consider an editor for self-pub.

Goal is to trade publish not self-pub.
My original post was written prematurely.
After some thought, I realized that of course I need to let it sit for a month or so, and then do a final read through. I also need feedback. I guess I need betas. I'm interested in finding out more about professional editing, especially since I don't have a critique group or betas.

I have 5 trunk novels (most of them very rough first drafts). Last year, I resurected this project, and have been working on it ever since: overhauling/rewriting/editing/polishing. I just wanted to FINISH something. I do tend to endlessly tweak things and Indianroads post above regarding Davinci's Mona Lisa sounds very familiar.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Goal is to trade publish not self-pub.
My original post was written prematurely.
After some thought, I realized that of course I need to let it sit for a month or so, and then do a final read through. I also need feedback. I guess I need betas. I'm interested in finding out more about professional editing, especially since I don't have a critique group or betas.

I have 5 trunk novels (most of them very rough first drafts). Last year, I resurected this project, and have been working on it ever since: overhauling/rewriting/editing/polishing. I just wanted to FINISH something. I do tend to endlessly tweak things and Indianroads post above regarding Davinci's Mona Lisa sounds very familiar.
If you are going to trade publish, you don't need an editor now. Your publisher will take care of that, but before you start submitting, I suggest you find a couple of betas. Their input can help you make your book the best it can be.

I didn't know that Mona Lisa story. Yep, it sounds like a lot of us. Guilty myself.