Recommendations for books on beavers

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at work on a MG fantasy which will feature a confrontation with some giant beavers (a semi-magical version of beavers, actually, from a "fairy world" which fled into early medieval Britain to escape some trouble in Faerie). In the story, the MC has to deal with these beavers, who are building a dam that threatens to flood the area (including some human settlements) - with an additional complication; the beavers aren't malevolent, they're just building the dam for the regular reasons beavers build dams and look upon the consequences for the local humans as "not our problem".

I'd like a few good non-fiction books on beavers to consult in depicting the beavers with as much accuracy as I can (taking into account that they're a fantastic variety of beaver). Can anyone here recommend any titles?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
You might try posting in Research. Since scientific understanding changes over time, i might be a good ideas to look for online resources. National Geographic has pages on most animals. You may also want to contact wildlife experts or zoos in areas where beavers are endemic. Usually, experts are happy to speak with writers because they want us to have the facts correct as well.

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Debbie V.