alternative energy and a sci fi prison

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Hi all,
I've done a little research on prisons of the future for my current project, but I need some help understanding how alternative energy works and maybe some suggestions as I set up how this prison works and how my rebels will ultimately defeat its security.

First off, from what I've gleaned, "prisons of the future" seem to boast the use of cutting edge alternative energy (solar in one case) as well as high tech energy grids in their facilities, because that way if the region loses power they can recover within a few seconds and avoid a big upheaval. So I'm going to have my warden giving a tour explaining that this prison is entirely self-sufficient in terms of energy. I really want to keep it brief and clear. They have a field of solar panels. Should they also have windmills? Other alternative energy considerations I'm not aware of?

What happens if the panels are somehow destroyed? I imagine you can store energy produced somehow, but I don't really understand how solar energy works. Is it okay to say that the energy is stored in fuel cells? Or is there a more accurate way to say that?

My prisoners all wear collars (this is a dystopia) which will inject the wearer with a sedative automatically if the wearer displays certain markers like a highly elevated pulse. In the case of some inmates, it is poison, not a sedative. The collars also work with a remote control which each guard has.

I think what sounds simplest for my rebels is going to be to disable the electricity somehow, as that will effectively disable most of the other security measures, especially since the makers of the prison (it is brand new, so plenty of room for unexpected bugs to come up) think their energy system is fool proof.

Disabling the electricity doesn't impact the collars, though. Unless... magnetic pulse of some kind?

So my next question is, can I create a magnetic pulse that would disable the electricity and the collars? How would that work?

Any other thoughts and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Some questions to consider before someone responds....

1. Will your sci-fi project use fictional forms of energy; if yes to what end? The Ghostbusters used a nuclear accelerator proton pack with nuclear energy as its power supply.

2. Are you just looking for renewable energy (e.g. solar, wind, other) or any kind of "alternative" energy?

3. Did you do a Google search for "alternate forms of energy" and "forms of renewable energy" ?

4. Will generators be used?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
How far in the future are you?

The one thing I'd suggest is not going down the EMP rathole. It's actually not difficult to shield equipment from EMPs, and given that your society appears willing to spend a lot on prison security, I'd absolutely expect them do this. On top of that, actual EMP effects can be somewhat unpredictable, and making them more reliably destructive tends to involve things like nuclear bombs.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
For storage the solution is already available - Tesla are marketing batteries for domestic and industrial use that can be charged by solar panels.
If they have a river or stream near the prison then a turbine on that could generate plenty of power.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Just taking a moment before responding to the questions above to say: YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME. :partyguy:

Last edited:

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
Liz, the year is 2032, so not that far. I looked at Youtube videos of "prisons of the future" and "high tech prisons" for ideas.
Thank you for the EMP advice. Is there something comparable I should go with?

Thank you, Enlightened, for the clarifying questions.
1. Will your sci-fi project use fictional forms of energy; if yes to what end? The Ghostbusters used a nuclear accelerator proton pack with nuclear energy as its power supply.
No, I'm not planning to invent anything. I'm really not science savvy enough so I'm trying to avoid getting too technical with it. It is important to me for what I say to be plausible to someone who knows more about it than I do, though.

2. Are you just looking for renewable energy (e.g. solar, wind, other) or any kind of "alternative" energy?
One of the videos I watched made a big deal about how they had solar panels on their state of the art prison, so I've got solar panels. But as I understand it, solar panels have some limitations and so I wondered if I should have them supplement with windmills or other forms.

3. Did you do a Google search for "alternate forms of energy" and "forms of renewable energy" ?
I didn't. I'm not planning to go into a lot of depth. I just want it to make sense. So my goal is to be able to briefly refer to how they generate their own electricity and therefore are not effected if the county's power goes down.

4. Will generators be used?
Should I use them?

If they allow me a way for the rebels to disable the electricity, then I'd like to use them, yes.

Waylander, are you saying that a turbine would be preferable to solar panels etc.? Would you mind elaborating, please? And also, can my rebels destroy the turbine in some effective way?

Thanks again, everyone.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
A turbine would be in addition to solar panels. If you have a leat off a stream or river nearby feeding a pond (this is often how old watermills worked) there would be a sluice gate that controlled the flow. Close that off - no flow, no power.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
A turbine would be in addition to solar panels. If you have a leat off a stream or river nearby feeding a pond (this is often how old watermills worked) there would be a sluice gate that controlled the flow. Close that off - no flow, no power.

Thank you! Perfect.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Our house doesn't have any mains-connected power and we've lived here for over twenty years now. In that time we've not seen much change in how renewable energy systems work, so your 2032 world isn't going to be much different to the current one.

Solar power only works when the sun is shining so you'll need battery backup if you want overnight power. That usually comes as a bank of batteries, with various bits of kit to control the system--we have inverters, and some other things. Note, too, that some locations are better than others: our neighbours who have PV cells don't get anything out of them from November to February, because the sun is too weak and low.

Windmills grind corn into flour. Wind turbines generate electricity. We have a wind turbine, as our house is in an area where the wind resource is far better than solar.

All off-grid installations have to have a backup power generator, or they risk having no power at all when the wind drops or the sun fails to shine. We have a couple of diesel-powered generators--they sound like HGVs when they run, and are essentially just a large diesel engine. When our battery bank drops to a low level of charge the generator comes on automatically. It's mostly seamless. Unless something goes wrong.

You're going to have to consider how to deal with the restrictions of renewable energy: it's important to keep your power usage down to as low as possible, so you don't squander what little you have. We don't have electric kettles, or an electric cooker, for example, as they'd soak up all our power and kick the generator on. And you're going to have to consider the opposite: what do you do when you're generating more power than is needed, and the battery bank is full? Our system dumps excess power to heaters.

If you want to disable our system it would be possible to do it remotely: we control the inverters using a control panel that connects to the internet, so that when the manufacturers update the software it downloads automatically. It would be relatively easy for someone to hack into this and take over control of the system. Or you could just disconnect some of the cables in the power system; if you want to disable the backup generators, put a lot of sugar into the fuel tank and it caramelises when the generator next runs and cokes up the machine.

This is a huge subject and it's very easy to get things wrong, so do your research and perhaps get someone to fact-check the relevant chapters.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or you could just disconnect some of the cables in the power system; if you want to disable the backup generators, put a lot of sugar into the fuel tank and it caramelises when the generator next runs and cokes up the machine.
What a totally brilliant, old-school, low-tech solution to a high-tech problem!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All alternative energy systems for prisons have backups. All fossil fuel energy systems for prisons do too. Heck, a wall, massive oak doors, locks and a moat full of deadly dragons worked for centuries before there was power at all.

Jeff

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Should I use them?

As per using generators....

Power, for a prison, is a must. The computer systems, electronic monitoring, lights, food refrigeration, heating, AC, ventilation, security systems, and so on, all must have energy. You need to have energy that is....

Reliable (solar panels on cloudy days won't generate any, new power).
Scalable (do you have enough incoming energy for all operations and if operations expand or shrink).

Backup energy is critical (for the continued operation of housing dangerous felons. Whatever backup energy you choose, make sure it is: reliable, suits the needs of the current operation, and is scalable.