How to show texts / emails

MinaJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.minajanemadeleyauthor.com
In my WIP, I have a few text and email exchanges, and I'm not sure how to show them.

For texts, I just italicized:

Eva and I are going out tonight. Enjoy your peace.
Madison’s text completes this perfect day. A big smile is etched on my face on the trolley ride home.

Is this ok?

For emails, I can't find a formatting that I think looks fine. Do I need to detail To, From, Subject, etc... for every email? Do I leave more space before and after, to make it stand out? And less space between lines?

Should I maybe forget the whole email idea and have them communicate another way? :Shrug:

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP, I have a few text and email exchanges, and I'm not sure how to show them.

For texts, I just italicized:

Eva and I are going out tonight. Enjoy your peace.
Madison’s text completes this perfect day. A big smile is etched on my face on the trolley ride home.

Is this ok?

For emails, I can't find a formatting that I think looks fine. Do I need to detail To, From, Subject, etc... for every email? Do I leave more space before and after, to make it stand out? And less space between lines?

Should I maybe forget the whole email idea and have them communicate another way? :Shrug:

Here, try this. Maybe it can help. https://seanhoade.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/how-should-you-show-emails-and-texts-in-prose-fiction/

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If time and date are critical for mysteries, I copy those items from my text-only phone for the first texts. I'm deaf as is one of my current protagonist. We both text a lot. I also use italics for them as well as ASL, book titles, names of bridges and trains, foreign words and phrases, special emphasis, etcetera. So sparingly helps.

My deaf detective also sparingly e-mails. Like TellMeAStory, I use double indents for them but regular font. Since I always address emails to a name and sign "Chase" (or :yesway::yesway: to other deafies), I do the same for my character's e-mails so there's no confusing them with narrative.

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
If you go into your email, there should be an option to "print" it as a PDF file. Take a look at how your email provider formats them and take what you can use.

Also, since you're quoting a passage it should probably be block quoted.