Why Aren’t There Many Sports Fiction Novels?

EJSal

Registered
Reaction score
I’m trying to find a fictional sports novel about sports (not just involving sports as part of an entirely different story) to read to help motivate my story I am working on, but it’s such a minimal list. In film you have Hoosiers, Any Given Sunday, etc., but can’t find similar stories in fiction novels. Why is that? Is there something I should know before moving forward?

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
The genre seemed to me to be bigger in the 90s. I remember reading quite a few when I was growing up.

There was a baseball one the title of which I have forgotten. Plus I devoured Ron McGregor's SCREECH OWLS series as a kid, though I'm not sure how well known those are outside of Canada.

I don't know that I've seen many at all for an adult readership. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'd guess it's a market thing. I know sports NF is huge. Speaking for myself as a reader, I guess I feel like most of my sports reading is done there, so I don't really feel a desire to read sports fiction the way I did when I was a kid.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't really a basic writing question; I'm going to move it to Bookclub.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
"Beartown" and its sequel were both excellent and came out recently. I also read sports romance (not sure if that's your thing.)

EJSal

Registered
Reaction score
The genre seemed to me to be bigger in the 90s. I remember reading quite a few when I was growing up.

There was a baseball one the title of which I have forgotten. Plus I devoured Ron McGregor's SCREECH OWLS series as a kid, though I'm not sure how well known those are outside of Canada.

I don't know that I've seen many at all for an adult readership. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'd guess it's a market thing. I know sports NF is huge. Speaking for myself as a reader, I guess I feel like most of my sports reading is done there, so I don't really feel a desire to read sports fiction the way I did when I was a kid.

"Beartown" and its sequel were both excellent and came out recently. I also read sports romance (not sure if that's your thing.)

I will give Beartown a shot. Thanks!

Also, in general.. I’m very new to writing in terms of an actual novel and am trying my first one.. what are three things my story should definitely have to be interesting/popular for a topic that seems very untouched in sports fiction? If you had to rank the 3 most important things to stay focused on?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I’m trying to find a fictional sports novel about sports (not just involving sports as part of an entirely different story) to read to help motivate my story I am working on, but it’s such a minimal list. In film you have Hoosiers, Any Given Sunday, etc., but can’t find similar stories in fiction novels. Why is that? Is there something I should know before moving forward?

The first thing is to please stop saying 'fiction novels.' There are no other novels, by definition.

There are TONS of sports novels, in pretty much every genre. Depends on what you're looking for, what sport, playing, writing about....

Have you read Tim Green? Dan Jenkins? Dierdre Martin? Harlan Coben? Mike Lupica? John Feinstein? All the others?

EJSal

Registered
Reaction score

Sorry, that I quoted you. I’m still learning the way to use this forum. Thanks for moving it for me!

Last edited:

EJSal

Registered
Reaction score
The first thing is to please stop saying 'fiction novels.' There are no other novels, by definition.

There are TONS of sports novels, in pretty much every genre. Depends on what you're looking for, what sport, playing, writing about....

Have you read Tim Green? Dan Jenkins? Dierdre Martin? Harlan Coben? Mike Lupica? John Feinstein? All the others?

Thanks the advice. I obviously still have a lot to learn here. Also, most novels I have tried to find are always some story about a guy that plays sports, but the story is about something else with the sport itself being a backstory more than anything discussed as a major part of the plot itself. For example a mystery novel about something involving a sports team/player.

KBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I will give Beartown a shot. Thanks!

Also, in general.. I’m very new to writing in terms of an actual novel and am trying my first one.. what are three things my story should definitely have to be interesting/popular for a topic that seems very untouched in sports fiction? If you had to rank the 3 most important things to stay focused on?

I would not be the best person to answer that specifically, as I read sports romance, and the occasional sports-centric novel like Beartown, but in general tend to read other genres. As a general answer, a great way to learn genre expectations? Read books in that genre. Cornflake has just given you an excellent list to start with.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks the advice. I obviously still have a lot to learn here. Also, most novels I have tried to find are always some story about a guy that plays sports, but the story is about something else with the sport itself being a backstory more than anything discussed as a major part of the plot itself. For example a mystery novel about something involving a sports team/player.

Well, yeah, hence they're different genres. Coben, afaik, is pretty predominantly a mystery writer. Martin writes predominantly romance. Feinstein, Lupica, Jenkins, and some of Green might be more what you're looking for. I've only read a few of Green's and they were a while ago and he's prolific as fuck, so I both don't really recall the plots/genres, save that they were football-based, and just looked and couldn't find them a cursory search.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think that part of the problem is that without the romance, mystery, etc. all you've got is a story about a fictional team fighting for a fictional win (or loss). I imagine that, for most sports fans, they'd rather read non-fiction about their favourite sport or team.
The only series that I really recall were those teenage horse stories for girls, where there is a lot of drama about horse shows and other equestrian activities.

I'll bet to work as a novel about fictional people (without mystery, romance or thriller aspects) you'd have to have really great characters for the general readers, and spot-on sports stuff for the sports fans.

What sport are you interested in?

EJSal

Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah, hence they're different genres. Coben, afaik, is pretty predominantly a mystery writer. Martin writes predominantly romance. Feinstein, Lupica, Jenkins, and some of Green might be more what you're looking for. I've only read a few of Green's and they were a while ago and he's prolific as fuck, so I both don't really recall the plots/genres, save that they were football-based, and just looked and couldn't find them a cursory search.

Thanks! You’re so helpful, I will do some research.

EJSal

Registered
Reaction score
I think that part of the problem is that without the romance, mystery, etc. all you've got is a story about a fictional team fighting for a fictional win (or loss). I imagine that, for most sports fans, they'd rather read non-fiction about their favourite sport or team.
The only series that I really recall were those teenage horse stories for girls, where there is a lot of drama about horse shows and other equestrian activities.

I'll bet to work as a novel about fictional people (without mystery, romance or thriller aspects) you'd have to have really great characters for the general readers, and spot-on sports stuff for the sports fans.

I like football and basketball. I am starting to realize I need to really nail my characters on this as well.

I know the basic plot already I am leaning towards, but now think I may need to add more to the plot because Sports Novels is a very sub-category genre.

EJSal

Registered
Reaction score

What are some absolute MUST’s in creating characters that can carry a story?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are some absolute MUST’s in creating characters that can carry a story?
What characters work for you when you're reading a novel? What do you like about them? How has the writer brought them to life?

You need to be an active reader in order to write, I think. You're asking good questions, but you need to be able to answer them yourself, because you need to know the how as much as the what.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

Try 'The Rules of Backyard Cricket' by Jock Serong. It's a crime novel, but cricket (and not the backyard kind) is central to the plot.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score

Horses weren't my thing, but The Gymnasts was an MG series that I loved as a kid and (very average) gymnast in the early 90s. I don't think I've ever seen this sort of thing in adult fiction though, which is a real shame as I'd totally read it! (Hmm, wondering now if I've got time/room in my head for *another* side project...)

The Sweetheart Season by Karen Joy Fowler might be worth checking out, EJSal. It's a wartime baseball story reminiscent of the movie A League of Their Own. And a good read even if it turns out not to align perfectly with what you're wanting to write.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gillian's Mears' luminous "Foal's Bread" is set in the old world of country horse show high-jumping. Probably not what you're after, OP, but I never miss a chance to plug it. ;)

EJSal

Registered
Reaction score
So after looking up sports novels and tremendous characters (both of which I need for my story), it looks like I should read:

For Great Main Character Development
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

For Sports Novels
The Art Of Fielding by Chad Harbach
The Natural by Bernard Malamud

Any criticisms/additions/subtractions from that list for my to-read list. (And yes I’m aware I should have already read some of these).

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
So after looking up sports novels and tremendous characters (both of which I need for my story), it looks like I should read:

For Sports Novels

Any criticisms/additions/subtractions from that list for my to-read list. (And yes I’m aware I should have already read some of these).

I... I mean you should read a lot of things, in all areas. I don't see a reason that'd include Easton Ellis, heh, but I can't stand that book.

Those are very particular sports novels, as well, in a particular style, about a particular sport.

Last edited:

EJSal

Registered
Reaction score
I... I mean you should read a lot of things, in all areas. I don't see a reason that'd include Easton Ellis, heh, but I can't stand that book.

Those are very particular sports novels, as well, in a particular style, about a particular sport.

I emailed your contact email on the web site in your sig FYI

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

For Sports Novels

That's a very short list. If you want to write well, you'll need to read widely -- in several, if not all, genres. And in a wide range of sports, I'd suggest, to get a feel for story structure.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
^What Helix said.

Also, nearly every story needs 'tremendous' characters, which doesn't necessarily translate to 'very specific types of MC' as per American Psycho, Catcher etc. Characters need to feel like real people - keen observation and lots of reading will help you create them.