• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Writing Partner wanted - multiple agents interested - Satoshi Nakamoto and Bitcoin book

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterkel1

Registered
Reaction score
I have pitched a query for a nonfiction book on Satoshi Nakamoto and the Bitcoin arena. 6 agents have expressed interest.
I have multiple published books already.
The proposal is partially done, but I have stalled somewhat for a number of reasons.

I am looking for a writing partner, interested in the crypto-sphere, who would like to get published by a solid publisher to work with me on this book.
If interested please reply to this post with a statement of interest, credentials and a 3-5 pg sample.
Thank you.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This really isn't the place for this. I'll look into finding it a new home.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reopened the thread, but I have some thoughts about the request.

One is that this request asks for credentials from any responders, without providing any of their own, not even about the multiple books that have been reportedly published by the OP. And I'm not saying the OP's credentials should be posted in public, but they are a stranger on the internet asking for personal details, which is disturbing to me.

My understanding of non-fiction proposals, admittedly limited, is that any agent expressing interest must be basing that interest off your expertise as demonstrated to them by your proposal. I'm also surprised that they're expressing interest with a partial proposal (suggests even more that if they are interested, it's you they're interested in). But I admit that I have limited knowledge of how non-fiction proposals work.

OP mentions agent interest but promises "a solid publisher." There's no way to guarantee that, even if one of those agents offered. Also, "agent expressed interest" could mean anything from an agent ready to offer representation to an agent saying on Twitter that, yes, they'd be interested in a proposal on the subject, when asked.

Finally, there's no discussion here about division of work. Will the reasons stalling even a full proposal end up stalling work on the actual book?

Last edited:

misterkel1

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to start a dialogue with somebody about writing a book together and I have a solid lead to do it. Can't interested parties take responsibility for themselves in asking these questions?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to start a dialogue with somebody about writing a book together and I have a solid lead to do it. Can't interested parties take responsibility for themselves in asking these questions?

AW is a community. Questions like the ones Sage asked help to protect anyone who might be interested in your OP, especially people who might not know what questions to ask/what the norms are in this type of scenario. They also help you, there could well be someone/s who might be a great partner but would assume this is a scam bc you haven't offered specifics and aren't a known, active member of the community.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not everyone might think to ask these questions, &, as ap123 says, my aim is to protect the community. The OP doesn’t ask to start a dialogue. It specifically asks for:

a statement of interest, credentials and a 3-5 pg sample.

In other words, you are basically asking someone to submit to you as if you were an agent or publisher. You are asking for personal details, & nobody here knows you, not even as a member of this community. You are asking someone to trust you, but seem to understand—as the only details on your posts are about what you want submitted to you—that you should be guarded about what details you give away on the internet. BTW, this protection applies to you. By keeping mum about what “agent interest” means, we don’t have an opportunity to share if we see something suspicious, like a known bad actor or a fishy offer given to you. Advising folks to not give away personal details to strangers on the internet also applies to you. Assuming you’re legit, at some point you’d share your personal information with a person who submitted to you. You have no way of knowing if this person on the internet is who they say they are. But for now, you’re asking for a one-way street of trust, & it’s my responsibility to share any red flags with the community when I see them, & I see them in this thread.

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
This is a weird post. When I've worked with betas in the past, the first exchange has always been, "Let's each trade our first chapters and see if we want to work with each other". This reads like you're applying for an unpaid internship.

Status
Not open for further replies.