Question about querying in this genre

JEChillemi

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I finished my first MS a few months ago and it's being beta-read now. I know that I'm not quite there yet, but I have started thinking about the outline of my query letter and I'm already stuck. Especially in this genre, where world-building is paramount, how much of the query letter focuses on telling the agent what the world is about vs. the plot?

I don't want to give my actual plot away, so an example of what I'm talking about is below:

An alien race conquers Earth and enslaves mankind. Obviously that would shape all of society on a very fundamental level, driving main character motivation and overall growth. While this plays in the background, there is a central story, say "boy meets girl" that has the potential to actually change the status quo of aliens enslaving mankind.

So, do you just introduce the world in the first sentence and then tell the "boy meets girl" plot in the rest of the query letter? Do you just balance as best you can?

Does this make sense?

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I finished my first MS a few months ago and it's being beta-read now. I know that I'm not quite there yet, but I have started thinking about the outline of my query letter and I'm already stuck. Especially in this genre, where world-building is paramount, how much of the query letter focuses on telling the agent what the world is about vs. the plot?

I don't want to give my actual plot away, so an example of what I'm talking about is below:

An alien race conquers Earth and enslaves mankind. Obviously that would shape all of society on a very fundamental level, driving main character motivation and overall growth. While this plays in the background, there is a central story, say "boy meets girl" that has the potential to actually change the status quo of aliens enslaving mankind.

So, do you just introduce the world in the first sentence and then tell the "boy meets girl" plot in the rest of the query letter? Do you just balance as best you can?

Does this make sense?
Visit Query Letter Hell here on AW (password vista) and read the stickies along with a bunch of query threads. That should answer some of your questions. You'll need 50 substantative posts before you can start your own thread, but you can jump in to reading and critiquing (one of the best ways to learn).

I'm not sure why you don't want to give your plot away, but you'll need to show a clear main plot line in the query. You just don't want to give away the ending like you will in a synopsis.

Good luck in your endeavors!

All the best,
Riv

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

Does this make sense?

1) Get thee to Query Letter Hell.

2) You absolutely do want to give away the plot in your query letter. What you don't want to do is give away the ending. The query is (basically) inciting incident + complication + consequences of failure. Generally it'll cover 1/3-2/3 of the plot.

3) Worldbuilding is woven into the query, just like it is in the book.

JEChillemi

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out both of those threads. Just to clarify, I absolutely plan on giving my plot away in the query letter. I meant that I did not want to give it away on the forum thread, as I'm still making tweaks to it.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people think of a query like the blurb on the back cover, but that's not really accurate. The blurb is often much vaguer than the query because you don't want to give away too many story details in the blurb. In the query, on the other hand, you want to show some evidence that you wrote a complete story with some semblance of a plot.

Worldbuilding, ideally, should be woven into the query. Generally, you want to lead with your main character and the inciting event. Why should we care about your character and what they're doing? You also want to show your character being active. If everything is happening to them in the query, it will present the appearance that your character is perhaps not as active as they should be.

Rufio

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people think of a query like the blurb on the back cover, but that's not really accurate. The blurb is often much vaguer than the query because you don't want to give away too many story details in the blurb. In the query, on the other hand, you want to show some evidence that you wrote a complete story with some semblance of a plot.

Thanks for this clarification.

But I have a question:

If agents want to see the ending (and every twist) in the synopsis that accompanies the manuscript that they request, then why do they want to go through the extra step of reading a query that holds back the ending?

Is the query considerably shorter than the synopsis?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

Query letters are, by convention, short - in the US you want to stay under 250 words, although I think conventions in the UK are slightly different.

Length of the synopsis is going to depend on who requests it. I've heard of places that ask for a 3-paragraph synopsis, and others that allow 4 pages or more.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this clarification.

But I have a question:

If agents want to see the ending (and every twist) in the synopsis that accompanies the manuscript that they request, then why do they want to go through the extra step of reading a query that holds back the ending?

A query is typically two to three hundred words, and a basic synopsis is five hundred to a thousand words-ish. Each serves a different purpose.

All the best,
Riv

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score

Partly it's convention (and conventions do change over time), but my best understanding to date is that they are looking for reasons to reject and would rather work with writers who can write well in multiple formats.

So while the 'thing' is the novel, and maybe you wrote a good one, novels take a long time to read and agents gets lots of people knocking on their doors. A dozen a day. They need a way to sort through those dozen per day. A good proxy to see if you can write is to give you this assignment of sorts.

In under three hundred words, convince me you can build a decent plot, stakes, voice, etc, and leave me wanting more.

If you can't, they pass. If you can, they look to your opening pages for other reasons to pass.

This whole "Find a reason to say no" approach is common in many fields and areas and practices. Heck, most of us do it in our own daily lives. Imagine you are going to go out to eat. You can pick from a hundred restaurants, but you might cross some off the list because of service, or price, or sustainability practices, or hiring practices, or cleanliness, or wait time, or ambience, or distance from home, ... Or how tasty the food is.

The chef is just trying to make great food. But we say no for all sorts of other reasons. I think it's common.

The query is a proxy to show your chops without the agent needing to read your novel.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

In addition to what lizmonster said, a synopsis is not always required, and when it is, not always at the same time as the query letter.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Does this make sense?
It really depends. How critical are particular world building elements to the plot? It gave me fits writing the query for my (ultimately unsuccessful) first novel, because certain elements of the magic system really did drive the characters goals and obstacles.

World building does matter in speculative fiction, which makes it rather challenging to query compared to other genres (imo). There is such a range of possible settings, time frames, and historical periods to draw from, not to mention the possibility of worlds made up from scratch. You could have the same basic plot (say a retelling of Romeo and Juliette) set in an endless assortment of settings, historical periods, and world types. Readers have setting and world preferences in SFF. Agents have definite preferences too.

So I think it is important to get some hints out, at least, about the kind of world your story takes place in. But the challenge lies in not drowning the thing in extraneous details or in jargon or terminology that is confusing without explanations or the kind of revelation that comes from reading the story.

As for giving the plot away, you have to do this when querying a novel. No way around it. Agents won't buy a pig in a poke (as the old saying goes), and your fellow writers can't help you without your sharing your work with them. In the tradiitonal query letter, you generally include the plot set up to the point of revealing the stakes or major decision the protagonist has to make. It's similar to a back cover blurb in that it doesn't tell the reader the ending of the story. In the synopsis, however (which is not always requested), you do have to include how the story ends too.

In addition to what lizmonster said, a synopsis is not always required, and when it is, not always at the same time as the query letter.

In my experience, agents in the US tend to request synopses (if they do at all) if they ask for more material after an initial query. It's been a couple years now, but I don't recall any I queried wanting a synopsis at the same time as a query letter and any opening pages.

Unfortunately, different agents have different length requirements for synopses when they do request them. Some writers have 500, 100 and 2500 word versions of their synopsis on hand.:e2hammer:

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Agents occasionally ask for synopses at the query stage, but I’ve never heard of one who started with reading one. Query or pages will be first, letting either your writing or your pitch hook the agent. Only then will they check out the synopsis, which gives them a snapshot of whether you know how to write the beginning, middle, & end of a story in a much shorter timeline than reading the full book. The query is meant to entice, make the agent want to find out what happens.

Both query & synopsis need just enough world-building to make the pitch/plot make sense in those formats.

Rufio

Registered
Reaction score
A good proxy to see if you can write is to give you this assignment of sorts.

In under three hundred words, convince me you can build a decent plot, stakes, voice, etc, and leave me wanting more.

This made things totally click into place for me. Thanks for explaining. I'd forgotten that not giving away the ending is also a valuable skill. ;)