• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I'm not the only one...

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score
When you look at a sentence for so long, the words and even the letters fail to register.

You know what the sentence means, but only cause you remember the thought connected geographically to that part of the page. The sentence itself reads "Chfa, shcfacgh ipnu igvomga eo i ryey-ntyov nabha bgnoaih, cgm okah gfmbh..."

I'm not the only one this happens too? Right?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
No, of course not. For me, when I edit it helps to have MS Word read it back to me (the voice kinda sounds like Stephen Hawking).

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
When you look at a sentence for so long, the words and even the letters fail to register.

You know what the sentence means, but only cause you remember the thought connected geographically to that part of the page. The sentence itself reads "Chfa, shcfacgh ipnu igvomga eo i ryey-ntyov nabha bgnoaih, cgm okah gfmbh..."

Have you tried Google translate? :)

When that happens, it's usually best to cut and save that sentence to your notes, and then just completely rewrite it. That's what I do, anyway.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score

With all honesty, I have no idea what you are talking about. Did you type it that way? Did a self-correction program make those words up? And if I stare at a sentence for too long and it starts to get muddled, I walk away from it for an hour or so. But still not sure what you mean. :Shrug:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
With all honesty, I have no idea what you are talking about. Did you type it that way? Did a self-correction program make those words up? And if I stare at a sentence for too long and it starts to get muddled, I walk away from it for an hour or so. But still not sure what you mean. :Shrug:

I took it as his/her mind is glossing what has been read so many times.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Yep. Especially when I'm trying really hard to make a sentence say what I want it to say. I work it, rework it, stare at it, and can't tell whether all the rearranging did what I wanted or whether it makes any sense at all anymore. But there's no help for it but coming back to it at a later date.

jwhite1979

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, totally. That's when it's time to read the work aloud.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I go back to edit I sometimes find bizarre words, incomplete sentences and sometimes sentences I can't figure out what I had intended to say. My brain and my fingers aren't always connected to each other. :tongue

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I once found a sentence during editing that I couldn't keep because the main part of it was random gibberish that WORD couldn't even suggest something for me.

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score
I once found a sentence during editing that I couldn't keep because the main part of it was random gibberish that WORD couldn't even suggest something for me.

Was it covfefe?

SWPelzer

Registered
Reaction score
I have found incomplete thoughts and sentences that made no sense when editing. For the most part, if they don't move the story along, I don't spend a lot of time trying to figure out why there were there. I will delete them and add whatever is needed to complete that part of the plot.

I do agree that hearing what you have written is an excellent way to edit. Hearing it forces you to focus on the words while reading it allows you to gloss over parts because your mind already "knows" what you were trying to say.