• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Non-women's lit romance

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried writing a romance before and tried also to read up on doing so, but found stuff on writing "women's lit" romance, which seemed (sorry) formulaic and not what I was going for. I'm trying another story whose external plot is also heavy on romance. Would anyone please give me tips or direct me to some on writing it?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think you need to start by learning more about the genre of romance, which accounts for about half of all fiction sales and is profoundly diverse. Certain kinds of stories are more commercial, but just about every conceivable kind of story within the scope of the genre exists right now, somewhere. No matter what kind of romance you plan to write you either stand on the shoulders of giants, or you live in ignorance of them.

If you are writing a love story that is not genre romance that is just a factor of what you story is about, not whether an entire genre is "formulaic".

Last edited:

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
Can you recommend anything on writing one?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
So, out of curiosity, what is the formula you don't like in romance novels, and how do you see what you want to write as different?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Given how broad the genre is, you need to tell me what qualities you are looking for. You need to take advice from someone who has successfully done the closest possible thing to what you are trying to do (and is a competent teacher).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It kind of depends on a person's goals. I wrote my first book to make money in the short term. That meant, for me, writing to the very specific market that was the 90s ebook romance novella market.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
It kind of depends on a person's goals. I wrote my first book to make money in the short term. That meant, for me, writing to the very specific market that was the 90s ebook romance novella market.

Yeah, I realized after I posted it was a derailing question. There's nothing wrong with writing to genre, and it's good to know the conventions going in.

Apologies - I'll think more before posting next time!

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
So many replies! I don't want to write a formulaic because, well...it's formulaic. I want to be more creative, not just make money. I've read romantic fiction, and, granted, it was only one book, but On the Island felt like a Hallmark movie. I don't mean any offense; it just wasn't my kind of book. What I'm trying to write is a maturation novel, but the external plot is a romantic one right now.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
So many replies! I don't want to write a formulaic because, well...it's formulaic. I want to be more creative, not just make money. I've read romantic fiction, and, granted, it was only one book, but On the Island felt like a Hallmark movie. I don't mean any offense; it just wasn't my kind of book. What I'm trying to write is a maturation novel, but the external plot is a romantic one right now.

Wait - you're judging an entire genre as formulatic based on one book?

And if you're writing a "maturation" novel, not a romance... you wouldn't necessarily need a romance "formula," even if there is romance involved. (Part of the maturation might involve outgrowing/growing apart from the person they originally pursued, for instance, which isn't something you'd generally see in a romance unless they grow toward a new partner who has been in the book the whole time and is actually a better match.)

satyesu

Registered
Reaction score
It did seem to fit with formulae I found in researching the genre, and in a book I purchased on the same. You're right, though. :/

Anyway, I appreciate your second paragraph. I'll do my best. Thanks, all.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There is no formula. There is a the genre definition and house niche/style -- that is all. The formula thing is largely an insult used by people writing less commercial books wanting access to more mainstream income.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score

Ugh.

1. Don't judge a genre by one book.
2. Rule #1 - Respect Your Fellow Writer. Please don't insult other authors by declaring you're above what they do. (This is a stigma that has followed romance authors for decades, and it's demeaning.) ((I realize that wasn't your intention, but words matter. "I don't read much romance, it's not my thing," is much different than, "Romance novels are all formulaic and my work is more creative than those authors' work."))
3. Romance has rules. It has rules for a reason. (As does sci-fi or mystery or cozy mystery or fantasy.) If you don't like said rules, it's NOT an apple cart you're going to upset, so write in a different genre. Such as women's fiction (which can have romantic elements, but the main plotline isn't the romance itself.)
4. Contrary to #3, whatever you're looking for in romance -- it's out there. It falls within the guidelines and rules for the genre, but it's out there.
5. Formulas can be found in darn near any book, in any genre, if you think broadly enough.
6. Formulas aren't a bad thing, nor are they indicative of some lack of creativity.
7. If your book at its core is a maturation theme, it's probably women's fiction (or possibly literary). If you remove the romantic plotline, the story still stands. In romance novels, that's not true. If you remove the romantic plotline in a romance, there's no book.
8. Write the book, then figure it out. While veinglory is 100% correct that keeping genre in mind is a good idea, especially depending on your goals, it sounds like your book might have enough crossover that you won't be certain if it's romance or women's fiction until it's done and you see how important the romantic storyline is.
9. Writing is hard. Marketing is harder. Your struggle to define your book isn't unique, so you're in great company. :)