Jubilant June - 500 words/editing a day, all genres welcome

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I realise I kinda faded out of the May thread, so to make amends here's the June one.

Same rules as always: join any time you like, report progress, set goals, or just hang out. It's all good. :greenie

May was slow for me - I had a bunch of assignments that meant I couldn't push on with the novel. Still, I got a decent short out of it and some reasonable words. This month I'm aiming for big numbers: my target is 10,000 words on the novel WIP. Eeek. :poke:

How was your May? Do you have goals for June?

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello hello, another month is upon us. It's going by too quickly.

OSG - Nice start, keep that up and you'll hit your target way ahead of schedule :)

Last month went pretty well, a bit of a slow second half. For this month I think I'd like to hit 5K, whether or not I make it is something else.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Thanks for starting us, OSG. Great goal, too!

Zan75 - A very good goal. :)

So here's how I did last month:

~10k on The Vanishing - ~8,700 words
~Oubliette words Nada
~Newsletters (5) Done and sent

This month, I'd like to write at least 10k on The Vanishing. I'd also like to work up a few plots (loose plots) for a few of my novel ideas. I just bought 2 (!) premade covers on sale and would like to figure out what novel they can belong to. :D

Other than that...just try not to work constantly. I landed a long-term developmental editing job (4 books!) so the tendency will be there. I must silence it. ::fierce look::

Last edited:

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see everyone is aiming big - may it be a flaming June for you all!

After joining May late in the day, I've decided to monitor my progress throughout June, hopefully to inspire me to get more done.

I'm still in monster edit mode. At the start of the month I was 213/529 through my page count and I am hoping to get to 300 by month's end. Word count was around 394K and hopefully by the time I've got to page 300 that will be around 380k

Good luck all!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Just over one week down, how's everyone doing?

BlackKnight - How's your editing coming along? Was wondering if your going to breaking your story up into multiple novels or your aiming to edit it down to one?

I was able to clear 2500 words this week. Not sure how I accomplished it, but it happened so I'm not complaining.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Just over one week down, how's everyone doing?

BlackKnight - How's your editing coming along? Was wondering if your going to breaking your story up into multiple novels or your aiming to edit it down to one?

I was able to clear 2500 words this week. Not sure how I accomplished it, but it happened so I'm not complaining.

Was just about to ask how everyone was getting along! Well done on the 2500 words - great effort!

So far this month I have cut just over 5000 words and am down to just under 389k. I'm up to page 241 out of 521, so on target to get to page 300 by month's end.

I think's it more likely that I will split it into a two-part story - although I'm thinking about revisiting the first 100 pages and cutting down some of the scene setting, so we'll see after that :)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Great progress, BlackKnight and Zan!

I hit 4500 words last week, which was a great start to the month. I have a load more things on this week so it will be a stretch to get that much, but I'm going to swing for it anyway.

Have a great week!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
BK - Nice job on the edits, I'll be curious about what your monthly total is. Good luck on hitting the target.

OSG - Way to go! :hooray:

I think I wrote a paragraph yesterday:)
That's ok, progress is progress and it's only the beginning of the week.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nice job, everyone!

I've been really busy with my developmental editing job. I did a bit of writing, but not nearly enough. :( I'm also getting these horrible pressure headaches in the back of my head and behind my ears. Neurologist says it's due to my neck and shoulder muscles being tight. She prescribed some muscle relaxers but my insurance doesn't cover them and they're $400 so I am waiting until she gets back into the office on Monday so she can prescribe something else. I've been using a heat pad thing and taking (very sparingly) some old muscle relaxers I had on hand. These are actually sometimes worse than migraines, which probably sounds nuts, but it's that pressure that really hurts. So my productivity has been shot to bits. I took yesterday off work b/c I was feeling terrible. Today I am doing the bare minimum and then getting off the computer so my muscles can relax.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - sorry to hear you are suffering. Hope you can get some treatment and get back on track.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you, BlackKnight and OSG. True that. I switched to icing and that seems to be feeling much better than the heat. And someone's going to prescribe something, so I'll hopefully have it tomorrow and can stop using old pills.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you, Zan75!

The new pills are working, but not 100%. :(

I did however write 1,083 words on The Vanishing last night. That's the most I've written in forever.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - 1k+ words, nice job.

Life issues kept me from accomplishing much this week, couple hundred words maybe. Hopefully next week I'll be able to finish the month on a high note.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Here's to progress, Saoirse and Zan, both big and small.

I've had a pretty good week - 6800 words in total, so that takes me to 15k for the month and officially through my target. Woo hoo!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nice wordage, Zan75 & OSG!

Not doing well. :( We had to put down our dog yesterday. He'd been sick for awhile...but he was hanging in there. Yesterday we found out that he had cancer and there was nothing anyone could do. So we had him put down. We're all devastated and have been crying on and off these past two days. He was such a part of our lives...and now, he's gone. :cry:

Been trying to distract myself but it's not really working. Someone hold me.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. Dogs are family members (and I like our dog more than a lot of my family). Their passing is always too soon.

Angels with waggy tails

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - Sorry to hear about your dog. They really do become part of the family.

- - - Updated - - -

OSG - Congrats on hitting your target. Hope the last few days of the month are just as fruitful.