Colors

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't give a rip about color; as it pertains to racial issues. Black, white, brown, purple or plaid don't mean nuthin' to me. The heart and mind of a man (or woman) is what matters.

But this whole Political Correctness thing within Hollywood baffles me. I'm working on a screenplay in which the only true 'hero' of the film is a black man. Yet calling him a black man seems, to many, wrong. 'African American' is the term folks want.

I call BS. This man in my screenplay has NOTHING to do with Africa. He is a man, he is black, he is an American and he is damn good at what he does. Is it wrong to simply call an American man who is also black (as opposed to white) black? What say you?

-Wild Bill

LadyJil25

Registered
Reaction score
Sitting in some enchanted forest somewhere, drinki
From what I have found, (and I literally just posted in the newbie section about how ignorant I am about race and cultures) I think that if one were to refer to themselves as a "Black man who is damn good at what I do", then I think it is only appropriate to follow his example and to call him Black. If he, himself, does not identify as African, then don't make him. You can refer to him as African American all you like when explaining or pitching the story, but let him call himself whatever he wants to call himself....obvi, I would stay about 50,000 miles away from the ONE word. That one just needs to go in my opinion.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't give a rip about color; as it pertains to racial issues. Black, white, brown, purple or plaid don't mean nuthin' to me. The heart and mind of a man (or woman) is what matters.

But this whole Political Correctness thing within Hollywood baffles me. I'm working on a screenplay in which the only true 'hero' of the film is a black man. Yet calling him a black man seems, to many, wrong. 'African American' is the term folks want.

I call BS. This man in my screenplay has NOTHING to do with Africa. He is a man, he is black, he is an American and he is damn good at what he does. Is it wrong to simply call an American man who is also black (as opposed to white) black? What say you?

-Wild Bill

Also, it seems you know what you want, and 'call BS' on whatever someone told you so... what exactly are you asking us -- and why?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
What kind of feedback have you had on this, from who?

Did someone specifically say, "Don't call him a black man." ?

-Derek

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of feedback have you had on this, from who?

Did someone specifically say, "Don't call him a black man." ?

-Derek

I did have a couple of writers get on me for not using the 'African American' term. The fact that he is black is important to the story. And yes, as someone mentioned, there is another term some people use but it would be extremely inappropriate for the character and the story.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I did have a couple of writers get on me for not using the 'African American' term. The fact that he is black is important to the story. And yes, as someone mentioned, there is another term some people use but it would be extremely inappropriate for the character and the story.
I'm not saying they're right, I'm not saying they're wrong, but if they both thought this, maybe there's something to it? Maybe their reaction is an indication of how others might react also. Is digging your heels in worth the bother?

If someone in the script (either some idiot, or someone really trying hard not to offend, there's no telling which) asked your character the question, "Do you prefer to be called black, or African American?" -- what would he reply? If he shares your thoughts about being so far removed from Africa that it's not relevant to his life, maybe have him say so. Expressing your thoughts this way might be a compromise.

-Derek

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
… I think that if one were to refer to themselves as a "Black man who is damn good at what I do", then I think it is only appropriate to follow his example and to call him Black. If he, himself, does not identify as African, then don't make him...
Yeah that ^ :Thumbs:

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying they're right, I'm not saying they're wrong, but if they both thought this, maybe there's something to it? Maybe their reaction is an indication of how others might react also. Is digging your heels in worth the bother?

If someone in the script (either some idiot, or someone really trying hard not to offend, there's no telling which) asked your character the question, "Do you prefer to be called black, or African American?" -- what would he reply? If he shares your thoughts about being so far removed from Africa that it's not relevant to his life, maybe have him say so. Expressing your thoughts this way might be a compromise.

-Derek

A great question and perspective! Thank you.

The character is a captain in the US Air Force and an intelligence officer. His father was the first black man to become a general officer in the Air Force, and he feels the need to live up to such expectations. These issues are implicit as opposed to explicit in the script but none-the-less are a driving force in how he thinks and responds to situations. He is also the only surviving 'hero' of the screenplay.

-Wild Bill