Who Is Your Favorite Author?

jorge

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kingofthebullies.com
My favorite author has always been Leo Tolstoy. While I was writing King of the Bullies, my first eBook, I kept reading Tolstoy's crowning masterpiece several times a day, and I kept seeing my writing evolving slowly from poor to remarkably improved; it took over three years to complete. Have anyone used this technique for improving your writing?

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
My favorite author has always been Leo Tolstoy. While I was writing King of the Bullies, my first eBook, I kept reading Tolstoy's crowning masterpiece several times a day, and I kept seeing my writing evolving slowly from poor to remarkably improved; it took over three years to complete. Have anyone used this technique for improving your writing?

Reading -- in and beyond your comfort zone -- is an essential part of writing, I reckon.

Which work is Tolstoy's crowning masterpiece?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Generally, it's Marilynne Robinson. She seems to be who I come back to, most often.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Anne Tyler, Jennifer Egan, Amy Tan and Michael Chabon are probably my favourites. Reading them (among many others) has definitely made me a better writer.

aurora borealis

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is Patrick O'Brian - the Aubrey/Maturin series is one of my favourite works of fiction. I've read each book (20 of them) probably 4 times each in the ten years I've owned them and I still return to them.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King. Has been since I was in the 3rd grade or so

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Never heard of Garner till this thread! But I looked her up and she seems like someone I should read. What would you suggest I start with?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Well, that says a lot about you, all good! I adored her first book, HOUSEKEEPING--gave it as gifts to more people than I can count. I admired her subsequent books more than loved them; but I do think she's one of our major writers whose work will endure.

sweetshop

Registered
Reaction score
I don't tend to have a favourite author just favourite books.

I loved the book "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov but I struggled with his others books and didn't finish them
I loved "The Shining" and "Carrie" by Stephen King but found his other works to a slog.
Patricia Cornwell was a good writer but her character of Kay Scarpetta felt a bit flat and one dimensional to me. The plots were very fascinating and gripping but I soon gave up on the series because they got too silly.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that says a lot about you, all good! I adored her first book, HOUSEKEEPING--gave it as gifts to more people than I can count. I admired her subsequent books more than loved them; but I do think she's one of our major writers whose work will endure.
HOUSEKEEPING is the hardest, I thought - I remembered you raving about it before, though, and went back and enjoyed it more. I adore the three others - they're on my list of Books To Be Buried With - and her essays are also wonderful.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite has been Tolkien ever since I was fourteen.

However, I used a technique somewhat like you outlined above when I needed to improve my descriptions, although I did it with Hunger Games because I want my books paced a little quicker than JRRT.

When I need to just reconnect with why I wanted to write in the first place, though, I often reread LOTR. Or anything by McKillip or McKinley.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Lemony Snicket. Ever since I was in fifth grade. He just has this style/voice that makes you feel close and personal to the story. And such a unique voice at that!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Why aren't we our own favorite authors?

Because we are there for the rough drafts that hit walls, the outlines that fall apart, the either/or decisions that haunt us long after the fact, the rejections, the revisions, the false starts. We see the lumps under the rugs, the handwaved plot points, the lampshaded tropes, the influences we tried to emulate.

Whereas when we pick up a published book in the bookstore, we don't know what went into its making. We weren't there for the hours-long staredown with the blank page or the perfect scene that just had to go in the trash bin for the greater good of the story. We just see the polished, seemingly perfect end product.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com

Because if we're honest, no matter how good we are, we have to admit that there are writers out there who are better than us. That's a good thing--gives us something to strive for. My way of admiring others' work generally takes the form of thinking "Damn, I wish I'd written that!

Scout

Registered
Reaction score
Even our favorite authors have other favorite authors than themselves

eta: Wow that's a clunky ass sentence. I need coffee.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Heh. Good question. Brightdreamer has some good answers. But despite that, I am still the Perfect Reader for my WIP. That's who I write for, anyway: me.:hooray:

Last edited: