The Name of the Rose....?

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, there's a prestige TV adaptation of The Name of the Rose. It completely flew under my radar. It stars and is co-written by John Turturro, and at first I thought, "I don't buy John Turturro as William as all," and then I saw a picture of him and revised my thought to, "When did John Turturro get so old?!" Also, Ben Linus from Lost is in it? As Jorge of Burgos, I think? I'm not sure whether to check it out; not only does a book about the minutiae of Medieval manuscripts and dogmatic religious debates sound utterly unfilmable, but I'm not even sure if I can find a place to watch or stream it without signing up for yet another streaming service.

Thoughts, anyone?

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I can’t speak to the new adaptation but there was a film adaptation of it in the 1980s, starring Sean Connery and Christian Slater, which wasn’t half bad, as I recall, though it’s been 30 years since I’ve seen it — but at any rate, it’s certainly not unfilmable.

:e2coffee:

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't mean it was unfilmable in the sense that you can't film the stuff that happens in it, more that it's unfilmable because its subject matter only works on the written page. I seem to recall that adaptation was panned for turning it into a detective story and cutting pretty much everything else.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I can’t speak to the new adaptation but there was a film adaptation of it in the 1980s, starring Sean Connery and Christian Slater, which wasn’t half bad, as I recall, though it’s been 30 years since I’ve seen it — but at any rate, it’s certainly not unfilmable.

:e2coffee:

It was actually pretty good.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether to check it out; not only does a book about the minutiae of Medieval manuscripts and dogmatic religious debates sound utterly unfilmable, but I'm not even sure if I can find a place to watch or stream it without signing up for yet another streaming service.

I didn't mean it was unfilmable in the sense that you can't film the stuff that happens in it, more that it's unfilmable because its subject matter only works on the written page. I seem to recall that adaptation was panned for turning it into a detective story and cutting pretty much everything else.

Have you read the book?

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. IIRC, a large portion of it was the characters reading other manuscripts, which is great in literature because you're also reading literature. But I can't imagine John Turturro sitting in a cloister for twenty minutes is going to make for thrilling television. Plus, the whole point of the book was that only words have survived from past generations, and the multitude of meanings each word can possess inspires arguments. The ending is literally Adso reading fragments of manuscript at random and hoping to find meaning. That doesn't really translate to the medium of film very well, since it's all depicted visually.

In the trailer, it looks like somebody's getting burned at the stake, so I suppose one way they could get around that is by using flashbacks to the events in the manuscripts? Like, actually showing us what happened to the Dulcinians and stuff like that? I don't know; it could be good, or it could be terrible.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The 80s movie was one of my favorites for a while. I haven't read the book, though. If I read a book, I am totally clamoring for a movie version, but if I see the movie first I have no interest in the book. This is partly because I keep seeing the actors while I'm reading and it distracts me.