Face to Face With a Blank Page

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
I have an idea for a poem but, faced with a blank page, nothing comes to mind.
What is your remedy for this kind of stuckness?

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
If you live in the city, go outside and people watch. If you live in the country, git yur butt out in the fresh air and listen, and smell, and be one with the world around you. If you live in the suburbs, move! However, when I am dry, many cups of coffee will loosen things up a bit...not always in a good way.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Ideas usually hit me with words attached. The key is to get them before they escape. If they do, sometimes I'll ponder, but never while staring at the blank page. I do what's suggested above. Sometimes I'll also let my subconscious work on the piece and see what comes out. Sometimes I free write on the concept. You never know what will come when you force words to flow. It can take a while to get into the piece, so plan for at least ten minutes of free writing.

All of these can work. I hope one works for you.

Last edited:

Oscar

Registered
Reaction score
Two things help me when I'm struggling with a blank page. Firstly, to agree with B.D.Eyeslie above, I get out of the house and walk around town. Observing life on the streets, in a coffee shop or in a gallery usually results in a page full of ideas. Secondly, I read. If I am struggling with a poem it doesn't have to be other poets, although this can be inspirational. Short stories, news, political or historical writing can all start me thinking and then ideas start to flow.
Good luck with all your work.

Alvah

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Oscar.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, Debbie V.

Alvah

Registered
Reaction score