• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

He said, "She said 'Your grammar sucks'."

Koulentis

Troublemaker
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking through the forum for guidance on interrupting dialogue. (Found it! https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?322882-Punctuation-of-Interrupted-Dialogue) But now I'm uncertain how to correctly write the example below. Added a bit of red and bold to a couple versions in order to help the punctuation stand out.

The etiquette teacher says, "Miss Manners says a gentleman should always carry a handkerchief."
Or
The etiquette teacher says, "Miss Manners says 'A gentleman should always carry a handkerchief'."
Or
The etiquette teacher says, "Miss Manners says 'A gentleman should always carry a handkerchief.'"
Or
The etiquette teacher says, "Miss Manners says A gentleman should always carry a handkerchief."
Or
Something else entirely.

Thank you for your help.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably ducking the question. :flag:

The first one is OK to me. KISS. Keep it simple, Sally. :Hug2: Why does she have to be literally quoting? She could simply be referring.

I don't care for the repetitive 'says' structure, which is the source of your issue here.

JAS - The etiquette teacher waves a white handkerchief. "According to Miss Manners, a gentleman should always carry one of these."

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Bufty on both counts - the first is fine, if you must use that sentence structure, but preferable still would be to rewrite the sequence so that the sentence does not begin with the attribution.

:e2coffee:

Margrave86

Registered
Reaction score
Better would be:

The etiquette teachers says:
"Miss Manners says, 'A gentleman should always carry a handkerchief.'"

Colons can be used to break sentences up and start quotations in new parqgraphs. Though I agree with the others that using 'says' twice is very redundant. Maybe 'lectured' would be a better word for a teacher to use?

Koulentis

Troublemaker
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Bufty, Lakey, and Margrave86 for your quick replies and your help.

Yep, that example is clunky. I should have come up with a better example to mirror the quote within a quote punctuation I saw in that old interrupted dialogue thread (https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...upted-Dialogue).

Thanks again!

"Any news on my request for leniency?"
"The Grammar Police said, 'Offenses this heinous demand life in prison.'"

PS: Thanks to the Admins for moving this post to the correct forum.

Last edited:

Langadune

Harley Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The part of Kansas that doesn't look like the part
"The Grammar Police said that offenses this heinous demand life in prison."
People often talk like that. When using dialogue, grammatical sins can get a bit of a pass as people don't always strictly follows the laws of grammar.

Koulentis

Troublemaker
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Langadune. Greatly appreciated.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
How do you want the sentence read?

Use the first one if there’s an invisible “that” in there. (“...says that a gentleman...”). That is, if the etiquette teacher is not intending to directly quote Miss Manners but rather share some general advice.

If she’s intending it as a quotation of what Miss Manners actually says, I’d use the second set of quotation marks. With a period inside all of them.

Koulentis

Troublemaker
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Sage! There isn't one particular sentence that I'm trying to fix. The question stems from seeing the quote within a quote written a couple different ways in books and an entirely different way on that AW forum post.

I pretty much botched my question, examples, and post title. So I greatly appreciate you wading through the mess. Your instruction on 'general advice' versus 'intention as a quote' is exactly what I needed. Thank you!

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking through the forum for guidance on interrupting dialogue. (Found it! https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?322882-Punctuation-of-Interrupted-Dialogue) But now I'm uncertain how to correctly write the example below. Added a bit of red and bold to a couple versions in order to help the punctuation stand out.

The etiquette teacher says, "Miss Manners says a gentleman should always carry a handkerchief."
Or
The etiquette teacher says, "Miss Manners says 'A gentleman should always carry a handkerchief'."
Or
The etiquette teacher says, "Miss Manners says 'A gentleman should always carry a handkerchief.'"
Or
The etiquette teacher says, "Miss Manners says A gentleman should always carry a handkerchief."
Or
Something else entirely.

Thank you for your help.

First one.

Koulentis

Troublemaker
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Jorge and TheListener. Appreciate you taking the time to help me.

jwhite1979

Registered
Reaction score
The first one is fine, as long as you don't want to imply a direct quotation. The second is standard British practice, while the third is the standard in the United States. The fourth is an abomination.

jpoelma13

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know the third one is correct. Quotation marks are used to indicate dialogue, and the period is placed inside of the quotation marks. I have to agree with everyone else though; that sentence needs to be rewritten.