Cover of Self-Editing for Fiction Writers

AW Is an Amazon Associate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Proper etiquette after being invited to write to an editor?

Threaded View

Revising, revising, revising... D.L. Shepherd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketzel View Post
    When in doubt, explain yourself, is my model for any kind of ambiguous communication.

So, in your shoes, I'd probably write letter that said something to the effect of, "Dear editor, I am writing to follow up your recent conversation at Venue, with my uncle, Favorite Person. As he mentioned, I have recently had a novel accepted by a small press in Australia to be released at the end of 2019. [brief reminder of novel's details.] You were kind enough to suggest to him that I get in touch with you directly.

You will probably not be surprised to hear that I am about to begin the query process for my next novel. [query pitch].

Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. Any advice, any information, any suggestions about agents, any feedback on the enclosed pages, or about pitching my work to a prestigious publisher like [name of editor's publisher] would be gratefully received."
    Thank you...somehow I missed these posts from back in May. I appreciate the time you took to respond, and the sample letter you wrote would have been just perfect if I had decided to contact him. Thanks again, and sorry for the delay in the response!
    Last edited by D.L. Shepherd; 10-20-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Typo