Proper etiquette after being invited to write to an editor?

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
So, a family member ran into an editor of a mid-sized house that only takes agented submissions, and they were discussing my work, and then the editor gave him his business card and direct email and said, "Tell her to write me."

As luck would have it, I just finished a book that I think would fit with their house, which the family member did not even know about! Do I write, mention the connection and business card, and then ask for permission to pitch my novel, or do I write, mention the connection, and include the pitch in the letter?

On one hand, if this is an opportunity to get their eyes on my work, then I feel like asking for permission to include the pitch is just giving them an extra chance to say "No thanks" before they even know what my novel is about, but on the other hand, if they were just being nice when they said, "Tell her to write to me," wouldn't it be presumptuous to go ahead and include a pitch without being invited to do so?

soulrodeo

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine what else the editor would be asking you to write to them about other than a book you're hoping to publish. I would say the pitch is expected. It's somewhat of a waste of time for a busy editor to hear from a random author just saying hi, I think? Pitch it.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding soulrodeo. The editor basically opened the door for your pitch. Grab the opportunity.

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Thank you both. So the family member didn't tell him I was currently pitching a novel...he didn't realize I had just finished one! He was just telling him about my other novel that was picked up by a small press in Australia and being released at the end of the year. That's the reason behind the hesitation, but if he said to write him, I guess what else could he mean, right? He must know authors always have another WIP, right?

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
When in doubt, explain yourself, is my model for any kind of ambiguous communication.

So, in your shoes, I'd probably write letter that said something to the effect of, "Dear editor, I am writing to follow up your recent conversation at Venue, with my uncle, Favorite Person. As he mentioned, I have recently had a novel accepted by a small press in Australia to be released at the end of 2019. [brief reminder of novel's details.] You were kind enough to suggest to him that I get in touch with you directly.

You will probably not be surprised to hear that I am about to begin the query process for my next novel. [query pitch].

Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. Any advice, any information, any suggestions about agents, any feedback on the enclosed pages, or about pitching my work to a prestigious publisher like [name of editor's publisher] would be gratefully received."

Last edited:

TrapperViper

Registered
Reaction score
When in doubt, explain yourself, is my model for any kind of ambiguous communication.

So, in your shoes, I'd probably write letter that said something to the effect of, "Dear editor, I am writing to follow up your recent conversation at Venue, with my uncle, Favorite Person. As he mentioned, I have recently had a novel accepted by a small press in Australia to be released at the end of 2019. [brief reminder of novel's details.] You were kind enough to suggest to him that I get in touch with you directly.

You will probably not be surprised to hear that I am about to begin the query process for my next novel. [query pitch].

Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. Any advice, any information, any suggestions about agents, any feedback on the enclosed pages, or about pitching my work to a prestigious publisher like [name of editor's publisher] would be gratefully received."

Something just like that sounds great. Let everyone know how it goes! and Good Luck:)

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Let everyone know how it goes! and Good Luck:)

I never did send it, because right afterwards I got a few requests from agents, so I decided to continue querying agents. It was a tough decision, but I think the right one.

ETA: P.S. Thanks for the good luck wishes, and sorry for the delayed response!

Last edited:

D.L. Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com

Thank you...somehow I missed these posts from back in May. I appreciate the time you took to respond, and the sample letter you wrote would have been just perfect if I had decided to contact him. Thanks again, and sorry for the delay in the response!

Last edited: