Newcomer says hello

DMakinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharpedit.weebly.com
Hi, first day here, so I’m following the tried and true path of posting an intro and trying to follow the site guidelines. My name is David and I write speculative fiction (but doesn’t everyone?). I’ve been writing for I suppose the last 25 or so years, but more seriously since around 2010. I published my first book in 2016. It’s a military sci fi story called Invincible targeted primarily, but not exclusively, at a YA audience. It’s somewhere out there, wallowing deep in the heedless oceans of online book stores. If you chance upon it, you will see a smattering of excellent reviews—but smatterings do not yield sales, as I’m sure many of you know… Hmm, I do hope these defeated ramblings are not seen as promoting my book. I’m kind of over that.

I have two WIP projects on the go—a sequel to Invincible, and a historical fantasy set in Elizabethan England. (Magic? Yes, a little. Dragons? No. Sorry.)

I’m also an editor, and recently established Sharpedge Editing. I suspect I may be a better editor than I am a writer. I certainly find the editing process more engaging than the slog of getting that first draft down.

Just looking at those site guidelines again – do I beta read? Yes – for speculative fiction by writers I like and also historical non-fiction. Anything remotely resembling literature is likely to send me screaming for the hills. Yes, it’s true, I am a Philistine. (Apologies to all Philistines).

Hobbies? Well, yes – I paint and draw and I’m currently attending a local art school. And I sing in a local community choir. I can sing better than Bob Dylan, if you can believe that. I am also obsessed with Manchester United, which I realise will alienate probably half the population of the planet. Don’t worry, we United tragics are very sad creatures at this particular point in time…

Expertise? Well I’m a chartered accountant and I used to be a fairly senior business/finance executive.

But I’m alright now.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

benacrow

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Congrats on your published books! That's an awesome achievement.

And, as an avid futbol fan, I feel for you United fans XD

Moardragons

Registered
Reaction score
(Magic? Yes, a little. Dragons? No. Sorry.)

You're dead to me.

Just kidding. I wouldn't worry about liking editing "more" than writing. I prefer editing to drafting too. When I'm editing I'm actually crafting something readable, rather than spitting out story in a draft. "Writing is rewriting" is definitely a thing Hemingway and a bunch of other people have said.

Welcome!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you DM, welcome to AW

Skylord Pendragoon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Dm.

It is a pleasure to meet you. I too am a better critique than a writer. It is mostly due to the sad fact that I am a perfectionist. Both a gift and a curse. My work is never done in my eyes, and I have been working on a novel since I was in high school, but never finished it. Kind of sad, if you ask me. However, when I critique, I do so brutally. I critique writing like Gordon Ramsey Critiques food. During the process you may call me an a**, you may disapprove of my methods, you may even get very crossed with me. However, I do it out of the tendencies to help shape the writer into the best they can be. All that aside, I do wish I can finish this darn thing.

Reptile

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome DMakinson, congratulations on the published book. I'm a fellow United supporter who regrets not going to matches when I was at school in Manchester and could have watched George Best for a few bob.

Long live the Philistines (in an Elizabethan dungeon, toasted by dragon breath)....

:hooray: