Paranormal Investigators, UFOs, and Alien Abduction

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently working on a short story where a teenage alien abductee is meeting with a team of paranormal investigators to conduct field research in a town where there has been a rash of believed alien abductions.

I have seen plenty of movies and documentaries where paranormal investigators study ghost, so I know what their process is and even what sort of equipment they use. But for investigators who specialize in studying UFOs and aliens, I have no idea what their research processes.

So I would appreciate whatever knowledge people have to offer. What equipment would be used while doing field research into UFOs? Is there anything specific they would be looking for. If you could even offer some TV shows, documentaries, or movies that could help answer this question, it would be greatly appreciated.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Geiger counters, metal detectors, EMF and thermal meters checking the location it supposedly happened would be the go-to tools for this one I reckon. Possibly night vision and infra-red cameras might also be used. Also, a side-order of library research through local papers and histories for any hint this has happened before in this location.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Colin Dickey's Ghostland has a great chapter chapter on ghost hunting, both of the 'quiet research club' and 'get rich on Youtube or die trying' variety.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
From the documentaries I've seen and books I've read, "UFO" investigators (e.g. those specifically looking for alien flying saucers) don't have any particular "tools" per se other than maybe cameras, but more rely on analysis of photos and videos taken by others, and interviewing eye witnesses.

As far as I can tell, it's not like aliens and space ships hang out in the usual spots like ghosts do, so the people that investigate this stuff generally don't have first hand knowledge of any of it. Which, can be somewhat problematic from a credibility standpoint.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
For an active sighting investigation, (ie, looking for a sighting) it's pretty simple. Telescopes, video cameras with slow-motion or high-speed capability. They might try intermittent strobe lights into the sky to attract attention.

Post sighting, if they have a suspected landing zone to investigate, geiger counters, EMF and thermal meters, soil samples might be taken if they have access to a lab.

Otherwise, it's really just a basic forensics investigation. Interview potential witnesses, look for damage left behind, that kind of stuff.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why not call the National Enquirer or the Weekly World Star and ask to speak to one of their "UFO experts"? :)

Jeff