The British Brexit facepalm thread

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, what? A UK company lost the GOVERNMENT bid to print new UK-only passports to...a GERMAN...an EU company? That's rich.
Ouch. Although I admit to wondering whether the fact they've got a French name had anything to do with losing the bid.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of those British satirical programs, right? Right?
DeLaRue had, literally, a license to print money, and they're going broke? This is sooo not good.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It’s okay, they can make it up on volume...

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
British diplomat in US resigns, saying she can't 'peddle half-truths' on Brexit

The Guardian said:
“It makes our job to promote democracy and the rule of law that much harder, if we are not seen to be upholding these core values at home,” Hall Hall said. “I am also at a stage in life where I would prefer to do something more rewarding with my time, than peddle half-truths on behalf of a government I do not trust.”

Gee, how do you really feel, Alexandra? :tongue

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Good for her. Hopefully we'll all be alive and have reason to celebrate the ones who took a stand for liberal democracy when this worldwide sh*t show is over.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Brits: the election is almost upon us. Please vote, no matter what your opinions are.

I'm going to be tactically voting, i.e. voting for the highest ranking non-Tory in my constituency. This happens to be Labour, even though at the moment I think Lib Dems have better policies on a number of issues and the Greens have the best environmental policy. The way I see it the only way to beat the Tories is to vote tactically. The Tories and Brexit party are doing this - Brexit party support has tanked while Tory support has risen symmetrically as the pro-Brexit side has realised that splitting their vote could easily result in a second referendum and Brexit not happening at all. Which should say to lefties that if we also vote tactically we can stop the Tories and Brexit.

If you wish to vote tactically against the Tories and Brexit: https://tactical.vote/compare

If you don't want to vote tactically and don't know who to vote for, compare party policies here: https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

If you don't like any of the candidates, vote for the least worst or vote for whoever's more likely to defeat the worst candidate.

Pass these links on to everyone who might be undecided about voting or who to vote for. Or a last ditch attempt to make someone who's swallowed a bunch of propaganda to think for themselves and vote for the party who's got the best policies for them.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies for the soapboxing - probably preaching to the choir anyway. But a lot of seats are very marginal with maybe only a few hundred votes in between, and there's a lot of apathy. The above isn't aimed so much at this thread/forum but more as a message to pass on to others - encourage others to vote. Higher voter turnout usually means that parties that favour working class people do better (that's been seen in both the UK and USA). Don't underestimate the power of encouraging people to get out and vote.

Voter apathy is completely understandable, along with distrust of the system. But if we encourage people to vote based on policies/principles we can also encourage people to hold politicians accountable for the promises they make. It's about bloody time to hold politicians accountable for their promises.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Vote!

Don't let a small part of your country decide your future, if you can help it.

I understand the attractiveness of apathy but just vote, even without hope. People died for that right, every vote is too precious to waste. Too many people want you to think your vote won't count. Vote to spite them if nothing else.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I am finding this general election a complete nightmare!

All I see are two -- differently but equally -- unpalatable options. Neither of the major parties seems to have the good of the country or its people at heart.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I am finding this general election a complete nightmare!

All I see are two -- differently but equally -- unpalatable options. Neither of the major parties seems to have the good of the country or its people at heart.
How anyone can compare the Tories to anyone but the Empire out of Star Wars and say they are equally bad is completely beyond me. Nearly ten years of viciously cruel austerity policies which aren't even saving money, while at the same time giving all their wealthy buddies tax breaks left right and centre. Ten years of slowly dismantling the NHS. Ten years of lies and deceit, which has astonishingly just got worse under Boris Johnson, a man who can’t seem to open his mouth without vomiting falsehoods. This is the party that started the whole Brexit clusterfuck in a misguided attempt to end infighting in their own ranks. The party now led by a man so desperate to grasp power that he appears to have no actual opinions of his own, merely saying whatever will gain him the most support (see his writing of two articles, one in favour, one against Brexit and waiting to see which way the wind blew before releasing one as a perfect example).
What on earth do you think Labour have done to compare to any of that?

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone can't decide what party's best for you then decide on what party's best for the most vulnerable people in society. Which party would you vote for if you had hardly any money and you're not able to pay for private health insurance?

Health insurance being a pertinent point. Can any of us trust the Tories with the NHS?

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, y’all. From my perspective in Trumpville, BoJo seems very much in the same mold. May your voters reach a better conclusion today than ours did in 2016.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely voted. But the results so far don't look promising; they seem to favour the Tories. Ugh.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's doom o'clock in the West. Good luck. God help you, my friends in the UK.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Well, then.

Not sure what to say now, honestly. Good luck, Scotland, and know you'll always be welcome here?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I hope we Americans are paying attention... Just as Brexit could be considered a warning of 2016, this could be an early alarm abouf 2020. Propaganda is alive and well and still very effective at getting the public to vote against its own interests, and it requires serious and aggressive counter-messaging, starting yesterday.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why all the doom and gloom? God help us?? We help ourselves.

At least a decision has been made even though 1 in 3 didn't vote at all. Would there be cheering if Corbyn had won? Perhaps, but there would still be a doom and gloom brigade.

And there's many Scots who may or may not have voted SNP who are perfectly happy to remain a part of the UK. I for one am fed up with NS - we already voted on Independence. Change the Party Name and live with it.

I often wish politicians of all parties didn't regard everything as between 'them' and us, and together did what was best for the country.

I also wish that a majority option in a referendum had to receive a minimum percentage of those voting to be effective. 51% versus 49% resolves little, especially when only a marginal percent of those entitled to vote do so.