The British Brexit facepalm thread

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Brexit is summed up thusly: "We want to leave the EU. The whole country. Apart from this bit..." *points at the NI/ROI border* "...we want that bit to stay in the EU."

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From this side of the Atlantic, it seems somewhat like

UK: We want a unicorn, or we'll run away.
EU: Not possible, sorry. But here's a nice little pony you can have.
UK: Nope, we want a unicorn. Stop trying to thwart the will of our democratic process.
EU: Uh... Well, let us know what kind of pony you'd like. Maybe we can get you a red one?
UK: Ok, how about this: You give us a unicorn, and we'll agree to call it a pony? Also, we're not paying for it.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Brexit is summed up thusly: "We want to leave the EU. The whole country. Apart from this bit..." *points at the NI/ROI border* "...we want that bit to stay in the EU."

Pretty nice Good Friday Agreement you have there. Be a shame if someone messed it up.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
From this side of the Atlantic, it seems somewhat like

UK: We want a unicorn, or we'll run away.
EU: Not possible, sorry. But here's a nice little pony you can have.
UK: Nope, we want a unicorn. Stop trying to thwart the will of our democratic process.
EU: Uh... Well, let us know what kind of pony you'd like. Maybe we can get you a red one?
UK: Ok, how about this: You give us a unicorn, and we'll agree to call it a pony? Also, we're not paying for it.

It looks like that from here, too.

I'm wondering if "you're trying to have your cake and eat it" is going to be replaced with "you're trying to have a Brexit", except Brexit already has a slang meaning: "Joe said he was leaving ages ago but he's just sat in the kitchen Brexiting". Also, I wish Boris Johnson rhymed with something unpleasant, because Jeremy Hunt's name's already become rhyming slang but Boris Johnson truly deserves for his name to be immortalised as cockney rhyming slang for the only word the BBC will bleep out after 9pm.

Perhaps "do a Boris Johnson" will become slang for when someone messes up something even worse than the last person did. For example: "Jack's done a right Theresa May. He was supposed to check the tyre pressures but ended up puncturing all of them." "yeah well John's gone and totally Boris Johnsoned the whole thing. I said we should call the AA but no, he said he used to work at his mate's garage back in the day. First he tried to fix the tires with duct tape then he somehow managed to set fire to the engine and we only just got away in time before the whole thing blew up and now the insurance company won't pay out because the "repairs" weren't done by a qualified mechanic."

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
"Johnson" is already used as a euphemism for penis in some parts of the English-speaking world.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More Brexregret.

DUP election broadcast farmer 'regrets' voting for Brexit

BBC said:
"Here in Northern Ireland, for example, we receive £300m in CAP [Common Agricultural Policy] funding from Europe and if farmers weren't getting that money they couldn't survive.

"Farmers would be at a loss."

So why did he vote to leave?

He said he had listened to the "stories that were told about the big red bus and all the extra money there was going to be for the health service and I thought that we could probably get a better deal".

But Mr Weir no longer believes the UK will get a deal at all.

"I don't think there's going to be a deal at the minute and if we leave with a hard Brexit, I think that agriculture will be decimated.

Someone should serve hard prison-time for the lies told by the Leave campaign.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've heard that John Stuart Mill once argued that even lies should not be censured.

I haven't found yet the work where he says that. But in the near future I plan to read his argument (if Google shows it), and will try to make sense.

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny -well, no, it really is very depressingly sad- how people (not just the UK people, everyone) really want to be conned. Everybody wanted to believe that effing red bus SO MUCH, they ignored any rational counter-argument. I probably am repeating myself but I'm still boggling over the fact no one got tarred and feathered for the lying bus for starters.

Frankly I'm starting to think the Remain-campaign should just have hired even more red busses with a nice message how many millions the UK would get if they remained and it wouldn't even have been as much a lie! But the truth only gets one so far, obviously. Hah, Pratchett was right as always. 'The truth shall make you fret', indeed!

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The state motto for New Hampshire is "live free or die". This Brexiteer seems to take it literally?

Brexiteer with diabetes says he would rather leave the EU than have insulin

Indy100 said:
"I'm a diabetic. I rely on insulin, but I still want to leave."

The reporter appeared shocked and responded: If the insulin doesn't arrive, for you as a diabetic, you think that's a price worth paying?

The Brexiteer responded:

"Yeah I do. Because we voted to leave.

We didn't vote for a deal. We didn't vote for anything, we voted to leave Europe, right? And that's all we want, right?

We're either a democracy, or we're not."

The cliffs of insanity are ahead. Ramming speed!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The state motto for New Hampshire is "live free or die". This Brexiteer seems to take it literally?

Brexiteer with diabetes says he would rather leave the EU than have insulin

The cliffs of insanity are ahead. Ramming speed!

My guess is that he either doesn't actually believe there will be no insulin (because there's always been insulin, right?), or he somehow thinks that insulin is just a tool of the Man and he'll get along just fine without it (either "if I just eat right I don't need it anyway" or "only sick people take insulin, so if I don't have insulin I won't be sick anymore... thanks, Brexit!"). Either way, the callous willingness to consign every other diabetic to death on "principle" is both disturbing and, sadly, expected of a certain political stripe around the globe.

It's also very easy to say that one's principles are worth risking one's life when one does not perceive one's life as being in immediate danger (see also: there's always been insulin, right?); my guess is that, push come to shove, he'll be one of the ones crying to his representative "how could you let me die like this - didn't you know I needed insulin?" on his deathbed.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Honest to God, the final straw a little backwhen was hearing the Japanese were going to start right back up on that whale hunting lark of theirs. I feel like I've slipped into a mirror universe -- just not the one in which Leonard Nimoy looks fetching in a beard.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard there is a record number of Brits applying for Belgian nationality this summer.

The closer we get to October, the more the image of a sinking ship comes to mind.

Although in the mean time people smugglers are getting richer and richer as they harrass the refugees more and more to take greater risks pretending they won't be able to get to the UK after Brexit. Boris Johnson should be pleased that Brexit is good at least for somebody's business but I don't think the people voting for Leave had this outcome in mind...

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Boris Johnson's suspension of parliament unlawful, supreme court rules

The Guardian said:

The first legal question the judges had to resolve was whether the prime minister’s decision – exploiting residual, royal prerogative powers – was “justiciable” and could consequently be subjected to scrutiny by the courts. The English high court declined to intervene; the Scottish appeal court concluded that judges did have legal authority to act.

In a unanimous verdict, the court ruled that Johnson’s decision to prorogue parliament can be examined by judges, overturning the ruling of the high court in London.

Delivering judgment, Lady Hale said: “The question arises in circumstances which have never arisen before and are unlikely to arise again.”

Then, giving the court’s judgment on whether the decision to suspend parliament was legal, Hale said: “This court has … concluded that the prime minister’s advice to Her Majesty [ to suspend parliament] was unlawful, void and of no effect. This means that the Order in Council to which it led was also unlawful, void and of no effect should be quashed.

“This means that when the royal commissioners walked into the House of Lords [to prorogue parliament] it was as if they walked in with a blank sheet of paper. The prorogation was also void and of no effect. Parliament has not been prorogued.”

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I genuinely can't believe this. I've become so used to bad news that I almost don't know how to react to this faint, faint ray of hope.

Reaction score
I see so much frustration in this forum and elsewhere about BREXIT. But whenever there are new polls, the conservatives (leavers) seem to be ahead of the Labour Party. Polls show Boris Johnson to be approved by many Britons...

It seems to me that those who are happy with today's Supreme Court decision are only a minority in UK. The majority are ok with Johnson's decisions. Are the Britons trying to avoid Jeremy Corbin at any cost or is there something else I did not pay attention to?

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the majority is simply sick of hearing about Brexit?

I also think the majority, when interviewed, express very little understanding of how f*cked up the Brexit vote was, and the likely consequences to their nation if goes no-deal crash-out. Some natter on about freedoms from Brussels bureaucrats, or the unicorn trade deals the UK is going to supposedly get now, but they seem ignorant of how any of this will actually work.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
Why is there still so much support for Brexit among Brits? It's because a lot of people have bought into the idea that Brexit is going to fix all the problems caused by austerity over the last decade. It's almost like a religion the way they believe it's some kind of saviour. They blamed the wrong enemy and were manipulated by rich bastards who write tabloids and put adverts on buses and billboards lying about how much money we send to the EU saying we can spend it on the NHS instead, saying that Britain is "full", implying that loads of immigrants are coming over making all the poverty problems much worse. Reality is that the Tories have systematically underfunded services like the NHS, police, schools, failed to invest in affordable housing and failed to invest anything back to communities that have to deal with loads of extra people living there without the resources to deal with it.

Also you get more immigrants in poor areas than in rich areas. Probably that's inevitable as immigrants themselves aren't usually that wealthy, at least when they first come over. But we all know that immigrants come here to work and bring taxes and boost the economy, so who benefits? Businesses benefit. The middle classes benefit. Why was so little of it invested back into communities and services that were stretched by the growing population? No-one cared enough about working class communities to even consider the question. They still don't. You still get middle class people wringing their hands and not understanding why people voted for Brexit.

Yes it's very frustrating when loads of people blame the wrong enemy and vote for something that was never, ever going to actually fix the problem. They were manipulated by the tabloids (owned by very rich people) and arseholes like Farage and Johnson who deliberately whipped up anti immigration and anti EU sentiments and have been for years. They sold everyone this lie that Brexit is somehow going to fix everyone's problems. They did it for their own personal financial gain.

And you know the worst thing? When Brexit fails to fix anything, that's going to substantially increase the amount of disaffection among the working classes. Brexit was the Great Hope for a Better Life. Sooner or later the Brexit bubble will burst and then we're going to be in an even worse situation. I blame the middle classes who failed to invest in poor communities as much as I blame poor people for believing the lies and shooting themselves in the foot with Brexit. But most of all I blame the very wealthy berks that manipulated people into believing in Brexit almost like it's a religion.

I voted remain, not because the above mentioned problems don't exist but because they were actually caused by the Tories failing to invest in ordinary communities and subjecting the country to a decade of "austerity" because some merchant bankers (in both senses of the term) totally fucked up the economy in 2008. We needed a change of UK government. Leaving the EU was only ever going to make it worse. But I can see why Corbyn is taking the stance that he is. He's looking to get a "softer" Brexit which would give the working class Brexit supporters what they think they want and he's also going to actually invest properly in the NHS, local communities, affordable housing and various other things to alleviate poverty and strain on services which would give people what they actually want and need. If there's a general election now I'd vote for whichever remain party's standing in my area (Green or Lib Dem*) but I'll be hoping that Corbyn can split the leave vote enough for the remain parties to get a majority.

*hopefully they and Plaid Cymru will do the thing where they don't stand against each other to not split the remain vote

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
So what happens now?

I understand that some MPs are calling on Johnson to resign. I assume he is very unlikely to do so. I've no idea how the general public feels about the ruling and about Johnson at this point.