The British Brexit facepalm thread

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t actually disagree with anything you’ve said with respect to chlorinated chicken, GMOs, etc. More strongly, I definitely agree that the worst aspect of GMOs are the legal and environmental ones. Albeit, I don’t discount the possibility of unforeseen food allergies, given the weak (really, nonexistent) testing requirements of the stuff before it enters the food chain.

And I hope you’re right about UK consumers having as much influence on keeping high standards as you believe. I guess I just don’t share your optimism. All through my adult life, I’ve witnessed “cheaper” typically win over “better”, and I’ve also watched concerted disinformation campaigns paid for by industry and monied interests persuade people to be indifferent to, if not actually in favor of, things not in their best interests. I fear your population is equally at risk of such propaganda around food safety and quality.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Is this thread worth resurrecting, or is Brexit just too depressing / ridiculous / infuriating to waste energy and hope on?

Well, things have certainly got a lot more facepalmy and I've tried my best to give the leave voters the benefit of the doubt, that BoJo the Clown might pull something out of his arse hat that will prove us remain voters wrong, that they had a plan all along and it would work and stuff, and I've been trying not to use the words "unmitigated disaster" and "told you so"...

I don't know if social media algorithms have made it look like the Brexiteers have shut up about how "great" Brexit is, or if they've actually shut up... but I think seeing as no-one's got any petrol and fuel bills are skyrocketing and supermarkets are out of stock of a lot of things a lot more often, and lots more people are facing poverty due to BoJo subtracting £20/week from universal credit (welfare, including in-work benefits) combined with skyrocketing fuel bills, maybe they possibly actually might have stopped saying how "great" Brexit is.

BoJo is still on Planet BoJo. Completely out of touch with the reality of life for normal people who didn't go to £40,000/year schools. I'm seriously considering writing to the leaders of Labour, The Green Party and the Liberal Democrats and telling them to forget about their differences and form a "Let's just get rid of the bloody Tories" coalition for the next election. I'm kind of sick of trying to decide which of them to vote for based on minutiae, then ending up voting for whoever's most likely to beat the absolute Tory wanker I have been lumbered with for an MP based on current opinion polls, when all I want to do is get rid of the Tories.

Also, isn't the word "Tory" etymologically derived from an Irish word meaning highway robber? Apparently the term in English goes back to the 17th century. Well, things haven't changed.

Reactions: Introversion

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Well, things have certainly got a lot more facepalmy and I've tried my best to give the leave voters the benefit of the doubt, that BoJo the Clown might pull something out of his arse hat that will prove us remain voters wrong, that they had a plan all along and it would work and stuff, and I've been trying not to use the words "unmitigated disaster" and "told you so"...

I don't know if social media algorithms have made it look like the Brexiteers have shut up about how "great" Brexit is, or if they've actually shut up... but I think seeing as no-one's got any petrol and fuel bills are skyrocketing and supermarkets are out of stock of a lot of things a lot more often, and lots more people are facing poverty due to BoJo subtracting £20/week from universal credit (welfare, including in-work benefits) combined with skyrocketing fuel bills, maybe they possibly actually might have stopped saying how "great" Brexit is.

BoJo is still on Planet BoJo. Completely out of touch with the reality of life for normal people who didn't go to £40,000/year schools. I'm seriously considering writing to the leaders of Labour, The Green Party and the Liberal Democrats and telling them to forget about their differences and form a "Let's just get rid of the bloody Tories" coalition for the next election. I'm kind of sick of trying to decide which of them to vote for based on minutiae, then ending up voting for whoever's most likely to beat the absolute Tory wanker I have been lumbered with for an MP based on current opinion polls, when all I want to do is get rid of the Tories.

Also, isn't the word "Tory" etymologically derived from an Irish word meaning highway robber? Apparently the term in English goes back to the 17th century. Well, things haven't changed.
I sympathise with your having a Tory MP. I was lucky enough to vote for a Lib Dem who won, dislodging the Tory MP.

Words fail me (other than "We all warned you! This was obviously what would happen! How can you have been so utterly stupid as to have fallen for all the ridiculous lies and rubbish promises they told you?") when I see what has happened to the United (what a misnomer!) Kingdom.

Reactions: neandermagnon

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Me think Brexit has been concocted by a Labour Tory.

But I digress.

-cb