Status
Not open for further replies.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
This month marks 12 years since I left my IT job in Edinburgh, took off the suit and tie and made the leap into the unknown to write full time here on the coast in Newfoundland.

There have been ups and downs since then but we haven't starved, I've had over 80 pro short story sales and a bunch of books do well with several different publishers, particularly the ebooks.

And now I'm officially a pensioner, with money coming in from the old job's pension to provide a comfort mattress in lean writing times.

I'm bloody glad I made that leap.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Well done, sounds like it was a great decision that worked out pretty good for you, congrats on the numerous sales, may you have many more! And yay pension.

-Derek

ZeMegwin12

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a leap of faith. That's inspiring. Congratulations on your sales and cheers to many more!

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Thanks, all of you.

A couple of people have asked how I did it. I wrote. I wrote a lot... 28 novels, 16 novellas and over 150 short stories in those 12 years. Getting them all into print, ebook (and 15 of them into audiobook) means I have a lot of sources of micro-income, especially these days with the e-books.

I was also lucky in hitting the Amazon kindle charts early on when sales were soaring and had a couple of pretty big hits, reaching the top 3 in the horror and sci-fi charts on a couple of occasions, those books going on to continue to sell on a regular basis.

More recently, in the past year, I've discovered the delights of writing an action adventure, creature feature series that seems to have hooked me a whole load of new readers and that series now accounts for about half my income.

I'm in my sixties now. I always thought i'd slow down about this point, coming up to 30 years of writing, but the ideas keep coming, so I'll keep writing them as long as the brain cells hold out.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Definitely keep writing! Your brain cells will thank you. And so will your readers.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
Huge congrats on making the dream happen!

benacrow

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome! That is my eventual goal, writing full time, so it's great to hear it has worked well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.