AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: World-building, world building, or worldbuilding?

Hybrid View

World-building, world building, or worldbuilding?

There doesn't seem to be much consensus here.

Wikipedia uses "worldbuilding": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldbuilding, as does Reedsy.

Merriam-Webster hyphenates: https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...world-building

And lots of other random sites use two words.

Is there a definitive form? If not, what form do you prefer? I like hyphenating, personally.

practical experience, FTW Cindyt's Avatar
    World-building, world building, or worldbuilding

I think it's a matter of choice. Grammarly accepts all three.
    You can fix anything but a blank page.--Bonnie Hearn Hill

GROWING UP BUFORD
    OUR TOWN
    BRANDON LEE

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    I like hyphenating it: world-building.

Spellcheck in InDesign flags one word as misspelled and suggests two words. It doesn't suggest hyphenating it, but it also doesn't flag the hyphenated version as misspelled. For what all of that is worth.

I went through a similar thing the other day with douchenozzle, which, oddly, no one seems to hyphenate, it's either one or two words.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

I also use Merriam-Webster as my primary dictionary. My self-imposed guideline is that if there is an entry in Merriam-Webster, I use its format/style. If it doesn't have it, I check Oxford. Still no, I follow Wikipedia/Wikidictionary.

In this specific case, I would use "world-building" both because it's in the MW and also because it looks more natural. But if you are after a 'geek' feel, you may want 'worldbuilding.'

practical experience, FTW
    I've always used worldbuilding. Idk if it depends on compound adjective or not. "The worldbuilding elements" makes more sense to me than "the world building elements" but it's the same in verb form -- the elements of worlbuilding as opposed to the elements of world building. A hyphen works well either way. I'm rambling, but regardless, I wouldn't use two words.

practical experience, FTW rgroberts's Avatar
    I like it as one word, too. It seems to fit better to me, although I wouldn't fault anyone for using either of the other versions.

Home Again--For Now AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Any time there's no agreement on which form of a compound word is accepted, you have choices.
    • Pick your favorite and use it consistently in your ms. Publishers may ask you to change it, but it won't be considered a mistake.
    • Pick a favorite authority and use its recommendation, knowing that many publishers defer to Merriam-Webster, or
    • Choose the one easiest to find in a find-and-replace without hitting false positives, so you can easily make it conform to a future publisher's style.

Myself, I like the hyphenated version.
    Why does everyone want introverts to leave their comfort zone and be talkative, but no one expects the extroverts to be quiet to make that zone comfortable for introverts?

Teacher's Pet, Volume Two, anthology with a professor and her grad student
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

One thing about this term - I have always thought of it exclusively as what the writer presents to the reader in the text - and that all the stuff we might do outside of the text is - whatever it is, practice, rough-draft, imagining. But 'world building' for me is what we give the reader so that s/he can immerse in the setting to the degree necessary for the story.
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music