Scarecrows and Wardrobes

Triangulos

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to find out the grammatical name (and origins) of a form of word construction in English (archaic I think). It's when you have a thing, that performs an action on another thing, but those elements are put together the wrong way round to form the actual word. So something that scares crows isn't a crow scarer (as it would be now) but a scarecrow. Something that wards (protects) your robes isn't a robe warder, but a wardrobe. There are probably other examples, though they seem to be a minority, presumably following an archaic pattern that's no longer used. (Otherwise a "dishwasher" would be a "washdish", a "hairdresser" would be a "dresshair", and a "fire fighter" would be a "fightfire".)

I think those kinds of words have a nice ring to them though - I noticed GRRM's mercenaries in Game of Thrones are "Sellswords" instead of "sword sellers", so he seems to have picked up on that too. Any idea where these words come from, and how they're referred to?

T.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
There was a whole thread on Twitter last month by David Moore about those sorts of words.

Apparently the grammatical term for them is "exocentric verb-noun compound agent noun", and they were a thing in the English language for maybe two centuries, appearing without precedent and then vanishing again, leaving a bunch of them like odd fossils - most of them disreputable, criminal, or underworld terms (My friend's theory is they were originally some sort of thieve's cant or wordplay.).

Pickpocket
Spendthrift
Swashbuckler
Turncoat
Lickspittle
Spendthrift
Lackwit
Scofflaw
Skinflint
Turnkey
Shakespeare
Fallstaff

... although, honestly, my very favorite is not particularly disreputable and is vastly more commonplace than any of those words:

Breakfast

Reactions: Triangulos

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to find out the grammatical name (and origins) of a form of word construction in English (archaic I think). It's when you have a thing, that performs an action on another thing, but those elements are put together the wrong way round to form the actual word. So something that scares crows isn't a crow scarer (as it would be now) but a scarecrow. Something that wards (protects) your robes isn't a robe warder, but a wardrobe. There are probably other examples, though they seem to be a minority, presumably following an archaic pattern that's no longer used. (Otherwise a "dishwasher" would be a "washdish", a "hairdresser" would be a "dresshair", and a "fire fighter" would be a "fightfire".)

I think those kinds of words have a nice ring to them though - I noticed GRRM's mercenaries in Game of Thrones are "Sellswords" instead of "sword sellers", so he seems to have picked up on that too. Any idea where these words come from, and how they're referred to?

T.
I am probably going to read the thesis that someone else posted (because I'm a nerd), but this may be in part due to the German roots of the English language where you mash two (or more) words together to make it something else. One on memorable occasion, my german teacher in high school filled the white board with a very long single word describing a whistle.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I am probably going to read the thesis that someone else posted (because I'm a nerd), but this may be in part due to the German roots of the English language where you mash two (or more) words together to make it something else. One on memorable occasion, my german teacher in high school filled the white board with a very long single word describing a whistle.
English does allow you to mash words together to make a new word, but there are limits. As I recall it from my college days, there is a compound word in the closing scene of Lysistrata that could presumably have a German cognate, but which my English lit translation apologetically noted could not be done in English.

Lysistrata: Now there’s a play whose time has come. Again.

Triangulos

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, and links to other people's discussions about them! I'd noticed these kinds of words myself while knowing very little about where they came from (hence my first post) and as a word nerd I love digging into these kinds of things.

Might be fun to try coining a few new ones. I think I'll start referring to "loading the washdish" at home (until blank looks from the rest of the family persuade me otherwise).

Reactions: Alessandra Kelley

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, and links to other people's discussions about them! I'd noticed these kinds of words myself while knowing very little about where they came from (hence my first post) and as a word nerd I love digging into these kinds of things.

Might be fun to try coining a few new ones. I think I'll start referring to "loading the washdish" at home (until blank looks from the rest of the family persuade me otherwise).
When we were kids, our wardrobes were full of hang-coaters...