• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Writing partner wanted for screenplay (historical/western/romance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a historian and author who has written two non-fiction books and numerous articles for history magazines, websites, and journals. I am writing a western based on a true story (containing elements of action, drama, political corruption, violence, and a love story that drives the third act) and am looking for someone to partner with to develop it into a script.

If you're interested in finding out more about me or the project, please email me a shoot07 at aol.com

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this as I'm still looking for the right fit. If interested in talking about this, please email me at the address above.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
You might get a response at a more screenwriter-centric forum, like http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/

Screenwriting is a different animal. A lot must be pared down or eliminated (e.g. Harry Potter movies).

Are you willing to allow someone to do this to fit the capacity of a screenplay (one script page is one minute of screen time).

Kubrick made The Shining. Steven King thought his interpretation was terrible and produced his own (at well over 4 hours in length).

I suspect if a screenwriter wanted on the project, they would insist on sole writing credit (as an adaptation writer).

Next things you should ask yourself....

Are western movies still made or watched if made?

Are you looking for this work to be released to Blu-Ray/DVD, via a streaming service (like NetFlix), other?

The movie business has changed a great deal in the last 10 years. Selling a spec script is extremely difficult.

You might be able to contract with a screenwriter to do the adaptation, but you have to market it somewhere (if you want it produced).

There is a lot to think about. The aforementioned are just some things I thought of randomly. I don't know what you should expect if you make a pitch on the Done Deal forums.

Good luck.

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. Sorry for my slow reply—just missed these. Actually I'm not looking for an adaption of a book of mine, but a writing partner to develop a screenplay on a different topic than I've written about. I will check out the forum you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.