The start of a story

tommyrulez_99

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a 6411 word short story. The first 981 words never mention a name. It focuses on the MC, but it is just his pov, until the pov shifts to another character.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Presumably you have a POV concern here.

As always it depends on how it is written but -without more information -that seems to me a long way to go without a specific protagonist for the reader to latch onto.

I'm sure you're aware every word has to earn its place in a short story.

Hopefully the MC's not just navel-gazing or creating backstory you may need to know in order to write the story but which may be of little interest to a reader as yet unattached to a named character.

What is the concern you have?

tommyrulez_99-I wrote a 6411 word short story. The first 981 words never mention a name. It focuses on the MC, but it is just his pov, until the pov shifts to another character.

Last edited:

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a 6411 word short story. The first 981 words never mention a name. It focuses on the MC, but it is just his pov, until the pov shifts to another character.

Are you asking if we think this would work? It depends on the kind of story and also on the execution.

I read quite a lot of literary short stories and stories with nameless MC or where the name is revealed much later are common. I've written quite a few short stories and flash with nameless characters. It's pretty much a reader preference. Personally I'm not fuss about names but they are readers who don't like stories if characters are not names as soon as possible. Either are fine, just depends on what you like.

tommyrulez_99

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to both.
It's a post-apocalyptic story. The opening deals with his pov as he wakes up and ends when he gets to a destination.