An editor sent back revision notes, but now another editor has asked to see the manuscript too.

writera

Registered
Reaction score
An editor at a publishing house sent back a rejection, with revision notes (which I made a separate thread about). They said they're willing to take another look so I'm working on the revision. Meanwhile, another editor at another publisher has asked to see the manuscript. They know I had interest from other publishers. I sent them the original version as still working on revisions for Publisher 1.

Should I tell Publisher 2 I'm working on a revision so they know the interest I have is strong AND so they know I might have a better version coming or leave it as is (as they might have different notes)? I suppose I could wait to see what they say, and if they turn me down, I could always tell them then that I'm revising it. But not sure if I'm supposed to tell them I'm already revising. (Publisher 1 has not asked for an exclusive and I figure it will take me a week or two to finish the revision at least, maybe longer, but I thought it better to get the MS to the second publisher on the day she asked for it, rather than asking her to wait, and also because I'm not sure if she'll have different notes. I suspect this revision will make the novel stronger, but everything is subjective.)

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
No, don't tell the second publisher any of that. Just send the version you were going to sub to them in the first place. Of course the second will have different notes if she wants revisions. These are two different people. They are not going to think alike. Every editor you send to will have different notes. They're not all going to think the same way about the book. The other pub's revisions has nothing to do with the second publisher. The second pub might like the book the way it is. Who knows? But I guarantee their notes will be different, probably so different you'll wonder if they read the same book! Just send the original and if the second editor wants revisions she will tell you.

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it would depend on whether you think Editor 1's revisions will make the manuscript stronger. I had a revision request that turned into a rejection, but my agent subbed the revised manuscript from then on because we liked it better than the original.

If the revision involves major changes to the characters or plots, I would tell Editor 2 you're also working on a new version and summarise the changes. If she agrees with Editor 1, it might make the difference between, "Sorry, this isn't for me," and "Sorry, this isn't for me, but I'd love to see the revision when you're done."

writera

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it would depend on whether you think Editor 1's revisions will make the manuscript stronger. I had a revision request that turned into a rejection, but my agent subbed the revised manuscript from then on because we liked it better than the original.

If the revision involves major changes to the characters or plots, I would tell Editor 2 you're also working on a new version and summarise the changes. If she agrees with Editor 1, it might make the difference between, "Sorry, this isn't for me," and "Sorry, this isn't for me, but I'd love to see the revision when you're done."

I'm not sure if the revision makes the manuscript better or not. I actually ended up with two versions of the revision - one with an extended ending and additional scenes, plus a restructured beginning and middle. Then another that has all of that but also cuts one side character out of the story completely. I'm a bit mixed on this as I feel both versions made the book stronger - the ending is better now in both, but I wasn't crazy about removing the side character, though it probably makes the book stronger. I think all versions work, they're just different - not necessarily better. I do think the extended ending makes it stronger, but not sure if removing the character did. Depends on the editor (or editors) preferences, I guess. I suppose I could mention both additional versions to the publisher who's still considering the original version but not sure how to phrase it.