Status
Not open for further replies.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Guys.

Apart from time spent here, I enjoy role-playing games (such as Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Dead Souls, Divinity Original Sin 2) on my desktop computer, which I assembled from bought parts around five years ago.

I have a decent system, with a GeForce GTX 980ti graphics card and a wide-screen curved 34" monitor. My chip is only an Intel Core i5 4670, but the whole system has served me well for years. It sits unmoved on my desk. My power unit is an EVGA Supernova 650G2 (80 plus - gold rating).

This afternoon my system suddenly shut down on me. No noise, no warning - just screen went blank - silence and no lights on the PC. No smell of burning. The case was hot but not abnormally so and cooled down quickly as usual.

I've checked my power plug connection to the PC and that's live, but there's nothing active in the PC. No fans, no lights -nothing.

I've taken the side off the PC and the three fans are free-running on finger touch and there's no dust clogging anywhere I can see. Nothings seems loose.

I'm not a computer nerd- only assembled it with help on Google and You Tube. Assuming it's not the Corsair Case switch - at least I presume it isn't, I can only think of two possibilities.

One is a tiny fuse of some sort but I'm not sure where it would be.

Two is that the power unit has failed. There's nothing to see on the Power Unit- no light at all- I'm not even sure there would be a light. I really don't fancy taking everything out and re-wiring, and am wondering if I got the same model Power Unit I could just switch the connections from my current unit to the new one (ignoring the wiring sent with the new one) and see what happens. I assume the wiring (or most of it) is detachable at the power unit.

Am I making sense?

Or do any of you wiser gurus have any other suggestions. I may have to replace the whole thing, but just eliminating the cheapest option first. Fortunately I kept my old system and am using that right now.

Thank you so much to whoever replies.

Kindest,

Bufty ;)

[

Last edited:

InkFingers

Emperor of the Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
In answer to your questions... Maybe? I would start by tracing the lines from the PSU to the motherboard and make sure everything is plugged firmly. Double check that the power switch on the PSU is on as well. There are a lot of things that could cause that issue, though. That looks like a modular power supply, so just leaving the wiring and swapping the unit may be possible, depending on whats been affected. If the simple stuff doesnt work though, I would call around for someone to do a diagnostic. It's going to be cheaper, probably, than buying a new machine, or just swapping parts until it's fixed.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Cheap things to try first.

1. Do NOT open the power supply. There is a transformer in there that can kill you. We were warned not to mess about inside the power supply during my CompTIA A+ certification (computer repair) class; they are cheap to replace.

2. Did you try plugging something else into the wall outlet (or try plugging the computer directly into the outlet if a power bar is used)?

Maybe your power bar switched got turned off by accident. Maybe a breaker was tripped. Play around with different plugs or see if plugging straight into the outlet (and not into a power bar) works.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Have you tried cleaning the electronics with compressed air?

-cb

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thankyou to you all. These are helpful tips and I'll see what I can do now, although I suspect taking my unit to the nearest computer shop for a diagnostic may be my best solution.

My power supply to the machine is OK- it's the same supply and connections that I'm using for the replacement machine I'm using.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how things go.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I put my machine in for testing and the result was not what I was expecting.

It's apparently my graphics card that has gone. So I'm now considering what to do. I'll be getting quotes and suggestions from the tech shop in a day or so. I know, it's dead easy to replace a card but....

The card was a GeForce GTX 980Ti, bought in April 2016 if I recall correctly. Thought I might have got more than three years out of it. So now I wait and see what is recommended to replace it.

ETA- Just checked the Warranty- yep- THREE YEARS! Ah Well. :Shrug:

Last edited:

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Back in 2005, I went through the same thing with my Compaq desktop because I was plugging everything in my multi-outlet unit: the TV, the fan, everything, and it wound up eating my power supply on my computer. I had a problem in 1999, the same problem with my desktop because some lady that was living with us in my grandmother's house was plugging her mother's medical equipment where my computers peripherals were plugged in.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wary of multi-socket extensions - I have four separate but adjacent double-plug wall units.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I put my machine in for testing and the result was not what I was expecting.

It's apparently my graphics card that has gone. So I'm now considering what to do. I'll be getting quotes and suggestions from the tech shop in a day or so. I know, it's dead easy to replace a card but....

The card was a GeForce GTX 980Ti, bought in April 2016 if I recall correctly. Thought I might have got more than three years out of it. So now I wait and see what is recommended to replace it.

ETA- Just checked the Warranty- yep- THREE YEARS! Ah Well. :Shrug:
I would still approach the supplier/manufacturer of the card on the offchance they'll still honour the warranty--can't hurt to try. I've had a washing machine fixed under warranty that was about two months over, and recently Hewlett Packard replaced my laptop's fan (shipped it to Singapore & back to do so, at their cost) at about age three (warranty was only 12 months, but they repaired it out of 'good will').

stuffguy

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting it to be your GPU. If you remove it completely, your mobo should still start up (lights, fans, beeps). I'm wondering if the shop you brought it to knows what they're doing ...

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder, too, but I won't jump to conclusions. I see from net items that other folk have had complete failure with the graphics card as the culprit.

I'll chat with them when I get my machine back in the next day or so. I'll also obtain the old card.

Amazon says it has a two year warranty period, and that has gone. Gigabyte seem to have a three year warranty that runs from date of manufacture!!!! Sheesh. But I'll see if I can contact them tomorrow. I'm not too hopeful.

Pity- because the card has served me very well.

I wasn't expecting it to be your GPU. If you remove it completely, your mobo should still start up (lights, fans, beeps). I'm wondering if the shop you brought it to knows what they're doing ...

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Graphics cards and CPUs are usually the first things that goes puff. The most frequent cause of failure is overheating - which means DUST.

A can of compressed air and 10 minutes once a month can do wonders to PC electronics.

-cb

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
All right.....if your PC will not power on....remove "All" add on devices. Memory, Video card, if one is an add on, Disk drives, meaning SSDs, Hard Drives, and DVD/CD drives. The only thing that should still be connected is the CPU. The PC should power on and give you a beep code for an error. Usually it will be that memory is not installed. If the PC does this than add the devices back one at a time, until it fails again. If after removing all the extras and the PC does not power on, then you have a bad power supply, motherboard, or power switch. Processor chips rarely go bad, with over thirty years of repair experience I have only seen "One" go bad.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Replaced the graphics card and all works fine. I suspect my old card overheated - probably through dust accumulation. It did feel very hot in the graphics card area and at top of case, but not any more.

My fault - I should get rid of the dust periodically.

Silenia

Registered
Reaction score
Might also be helpful to install Speccy or a similar program so you can check the temperature of various pieces of hardware. Check every now and then to see if stuff is suddenly systematically warmer than it used to be--even if but a few degrees, that's generally a good sign dust is building up--and to check whether your pc, or specific hardware in it, is prone to overheating while gaming.

One note of caution: while Speccy is usually quite reliable, I've seen it run into issues (and a waaay off temperature) with a handful of CPU models before, so if you see a result that seems very unlikely--say, Speccy claiming your CPU's 100 degrees Celsius when your pc is idling and not at all warm to the touch--take it with a grain of salt.

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
Overheating is the cause of so much grief with computers.

Did you at least get a cool new graphics card? With the gaming...I bet you'll notice the upgrades in the last couple of years. Here's hoping this one lasts you longer!

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gigabyte Windforce 8G GeForce RTX 2070.

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
SHINY! Look at the fans on that baby! You realize this is NOT good for writing productivity, right? (grin) Although I claim that gaming is good for the creative soul. Enjoy it! And well done for swapping it out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.