AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Suggestions and advice desired

Hybrid View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Suggestions and advice desired

I have several manuscripts ready for the query process. Any suggestions for poetry agents and or publishers? Thank you.

practical experience, FTW Stytch's Avatar
    I don't want to crush your dreams, but I'm pretty sure there are almost no "poetry agents" out there. I could be wrong, though. I think you just have to submit, submit, submit to journals and such.

Thank you, Stych
    Last edited by Kelly Kurt; 05-20-2019 at 11:17 PM.

practical experience, FTW JDWallawine's Avatar
    Every agency I have seen refuses poetry. I would guess that meant submitting directly to poetry publishers. I would look up the websites of the publishers of your favorite poetry and start there.

Thank you, JDWallawine.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    to AW! Make yourself at home. You now have about seven thousand fellow writers watching your back.

Poets used to be the rock stars of literature, now they can't give it away. Don't be discouraged -- it is still alive!

1) DO NOT google "poetry publishers" because most will be scams wanting you to pay them. One of the nasty ones is a fake contest. When you win--and you will--you get to buy a book containing your poem (and 800 others) for 50-100 bucks a pop. They prey on schools and desperate to publish people. Avoid.

2) Check your library for this book. It will be in the reference section or their 808 section with other books on writing. If they do not have it, you can request they get a copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Poets-Market-.../dp/1440354391

3) Avoid "dot-com" websites. "dot-org" is better!

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/

https://poets.org/

4) Keep your day job. (All writers do.)
    Last edited by Gillhoughly; 05-20-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Thank you, sir.

Mentoring Myself and Others Debbie V's Avatar
    Your library may have a more general market guide and not the specific one. Just look through the latest edition for poetry publishers. Then do a Google search of any that sound good to you to verify that what's in the guide hasn't changed. Sometimes you can even read a sample poem or two on the website, which can give you an idea of their taste and style. Good luck.

Thank you, Debbie.

I know of one writer friend who regularly publishes sci-fi and fantasy poetry to professional magazines. If you're open to writing genre poetry, some magazines do still buy it.

You might also consider writing flash fiction. Not the same thing, of course, but it requires fine attention to each word, a skill you've probably grown as a poet, and there are more markets open to flash fiction than there are to poems.

As others have said, agents don't take poets. Or short fiction writers for that matter. The markets are generally open and we have to sell our own works there.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Katrina S. Forest; 05-23-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    "An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

Exploring space in robots ... and trying not to get hacked ... "MY BEST FRIEND RUNS VENUS" is now available!

Thank you for your thoughtful comments, Katrina.