Cover of Suzanne Palmer's book Finder

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Pushcart Nomination

Threaded View

Several years ago a short-short story I wrote won a monthly contest (small monetary prize) sponsored by an online journal, which then went on to publish the winning stories on Amazon (again, a small fee was paid). Shortly after the anthology was published, the journal closed up shop and promptly reopened under a different name. All of us who'd been published in the anthology were encouraged to resubmit our old stories as well as new material to the new journal. The hitch? This time around there was no pay. Instead, the publisher said he'd nominate our stories for Pushcart, so we'd have that nomination to puff up our literary resumes.

I declined - the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. It smacked of those pay-to-play contests (like this one) where there are literally hundreds of categories, so you're pretty much guaranteed to "win" if you pony up the fairly hefty entry fee. Ultimately it's meaningless (you even have to pay for your "winner" stickers).

That's not to say the Pushcarts are meaningless - like Chris P, I like the anthologies - but when a publisher can dangle the carrot of a nomination in lieu of actually paying you for your work, it cheapens the value of said nomination. My bet is that most editors will view a Pushcart nomination about the way they view those pay-to-play contest "wins."
    Last edited by mrsmig; 05-19-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Now available on Amazon!

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.