How to get rid of a ghost possessing a person?

hunnypot

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a horror/comedy so I'm looking for the potential comedy in performing an exorcism. Could MC could do it by themselves or need others to help? Also, don't want it over too quickly as this will be the finale and the stakes are high. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is your MC the possessed? Or the exorcist? If the MC fills both roles, I suspect you've got a mountain to climb -- good luck.

How about the ghost being the departed spirit of standup comic renown for sarcastic one-liners? Constant quips during the exorcism, interrupting the officiant's litany might give you ample opportunity to inject such humor as you deem appropriate.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
They could watch a youtube video or read how-to books.
A priest could serve an eviction notice.
The MC could get rid of the ghost and then get repossessed.
Charge the ghost rent.
The MC could be really annoying like maybe he or she never shuts up, and the ghost gets sick of it and leaves.

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
If you mean you don't want to go with the traditional Catholic priest route, there are a lot of stories now where rabbis have dispelled evil spirits. I've also gotten onto an Indonesian horror kick, and in those movies, it's Muslim clerics who fill the role.

Also, check out the Discovery Channel show, A Haunting (they should have episodes on Youtube). I even saw an episode where a group of Wiccans dispelled ghosts from a house.

hunnypot

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! The ghost doesn't want to leave and is putting up a fight. I'm thinking of the Catholic route to show that fight. I like the idea of the sarcastic one liners during the exorcism.

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think there should be some kind of connection between the MC and the ghost haunting him. Why not an ancestor going back from the afterlife to put him back on the right path... with humor of course. There was a french movie like this: "Fantôme avec chauffeur". The MC is haunted by his deceased father who keep doing is parenting duties.

War Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
Or make your MC an evangelical, and the ghost is his ex-wife.