• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What are some stories or novels based on mundane details...

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score
What are some stories or novels based on mundane details that the author handled in unexpected or interesting ways?

(and no this question wasn't inspired by Office Space, though I did immediately think of it and then changed "mundane things" to "mundane details")

Last edited:

JoB42

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read this so I can't speak to how it's handled or anything, but there's a book called Westside by W.M. Akers that was recently spotlighted on John Scalzi's blog. It appears to be a mystery novel that focuses on small mundane matters instead of big murder cases and such.

Here's a link if you want to read the blog post about the novel. It does a better job of explaining itself than I could here.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
That was Sherlock Holmes' full schtick.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And a lot of mysteries, really. Not so much the police procedurals, or the forensic ones, or the 'beat it out of them' stories.
The Christie-type classics or the cozies, depending on quiet observation, and knowing how people behave.
The Number One Ladies Detective Agency, by Alexander McCall Smith? 'Small' stories, not many big crimes, but solved by observation and knowledge of local people and local ways.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
"Mandy" by Julie Andrews. It's not a story about gardening, which I thought it was when I read it as a kid.

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score
I did not mean this.

That was Sherlock Holmes' full schtick.

Or this.

And a lot of mysteries, really. Not so much the police procedurals, or the forensic ones, or the 'beat it out of them' stories.
The Christie-type classics or the cozies, depending on quiet observation, and knowing how people behave.
The Number One Ladies Detective Agency, by Alexander McCall Smith? 'Small' stories, not many big crimes, but solved by observation and knowledge of local people and local ways.

I meant...

...there's a book called Westside by W.M. Akers that was recently spotlighted on John Scalzi's blog. It appears to be a mystery novel that focuses on small mundane matters instead of big murder cases and such.

and this...

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

(based on their summaries, of course, as I haven't read either book - but they both just jumped to the top of my list.)

ixorv

Registered
Reaction score
To explain, but very briefly, the thought process behind this post.

I have an idea (it's waaay down the list) for a serial about time travel. The serial doesn't deal with the MC's adventures with time travel, it deals with his adventures of not time traveling (stay with me here)...

If you've seen Primer, then you may know that Shane Carruth (the writer/director) said in an interview "...prototypes almost never include neon lights and chrome. I wanted to see a story play out that was more in line with the way real innovation takes place than I had seen on film before."

I wanted to take that one step further and not have it be accidentally by two guys in a garage (with all due respect to Mr. Carruth and his excellent movie). Once you have it, how do you protect the secret of it's existence, safeguard the equipment, and most importantly what protocols are in place for not screwing the entire universe (or getting screwed by the universe). Very important, but pretty mundane details. With the right emphasis I think that could be interesting.

Which led to trying to think of any stories that didn't deal with 'This Is The Most Important Thing Ever' - which, I get it, is what what creates the urgency, which creates... you know where this goes.

The only book that I've read that's even close, that I could think of, was Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams, which if you've read the book (or recognize the author's name), it only plays with mundanities for comedic effect (and the mystery of course turns out to be 'The Most Important Thing Ever' - also, coincidental to this post, time travel is involved).

Since I am looking to beef up my reading list anyway, I thought I'd come on here and see if anyone had any suggestions for books that do handle what would otherwise be a very mundane story in an interesting way. Hope that clears up any confusion and thank you.

Last edited:

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Highly suggest Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St. Mary's, then. They spend a lot of time wondering what they can and cannot get away with in the time travel business.

JEChillemi

Registered
Reaction score
Two examples I can think, although vastly different, are below with explanations:

1. The Road- Cormac McCarthy...End of world stuff, but really just simple details. Good example of how to keep it interesting.
2. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time- Mark Haddon...Mystery book, but told from the perspective of someone with autism. Super mundane, but again, it's neat how the writer holds your attention.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bellwether by Connie Willis might fit the bill though I think one could define mundane details in different ways.
Sandra Foster studies fads and their meanings for the HiTek corporation. Bennet O'Reilly works with monkey group behavior and chaos theory for the same company. When the two are thrust together due to a misdelivered package and a run of seemingly bad luck, they find a joint project in a flock of sheep. But series of setbacks and disappointments arise before they are able to find answers to their questions.
Regardless that sounds a little sci-fi-ish, it's not. It's just employees in a corporation interacting. I loved it.